What do you guys think of Band In A Box?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What do you guys think of Band In A Box?

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:29 am

I used to use it alot to develop background tracks for live performing with MIDI. IIt worked great for that. have never used it for recording..

Fullertime
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Fullertime » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 am

I actually have used Band in a box to generate some sweet solos that I exported as audio and placed in my tracks. Some of which have landed placements!

Like any software, it’s all in how you approach its strengths and weeknesses. It’s a nice tool to have but certainly not something I rely on for pro level creations!

Fuller
"Vision will get you where you want to go, values will determine if you like yourself when you get there!"

https://www.taxi.com/members/fullertime
http://www.fullertime.com
https://soundcloud.com/fullertime

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 am

Fullertime wrote:I actually have used Band in a box to generate some sweet solos that I exported as audio and placed in my tracks. Some of which have landed placements!

Like any software, it’s all in how you approach its strengths and weeknesses. It’s a nice tool to have but certainly not something I rely on for pro level creations!

Fuller
I haven't checked into this but what are the legal implications in using BIAB tracks for licensing tracks? Does their end user agreement allow for such usage? Restrictions? This is really important.

Thanks!
:D Casey

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:13 pm

I haven't checked into this but what are the legal implications in using BIAB tracks for licensing tracks? Does their end user agreement allow for such usage? Restrictions? This is really important.
Casey:

I called PG Music and made sure that there is no restrictions. The only that you can't do is market one of their demos.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Like any software, it’s all in how you approach its strengths and weeknesses.
Well stated.
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm

LamarPecorino wrote:
Casey:

I called PG Music and made sure that there is no restrictions. The only that you can't do is market one of their demos.
GREAT!! Thanks! :D

Natalia

Post by Natalia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:34 am

I use it in the Digitech Trio+ pedal. That is BiB in a guitar pedal. Great for developing ideas, practicing and much more. You can record a temp track with it, and then develop a recording, interchanging each part. I love it, very helpful tool.
วิธีเล่นรูเล็ต สมัครจีคลับ คาสิโนออนไลน์

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 am

gabgar wrote:
Natalia wrote:I use it in the Digitech Trio+ pedal. That is BiB in a guitar pedal. Great for developing ideas, practicing and much more. You can record a temp track with it, and then develop a recording, interchanging each part. I love it, very helpful tool.
วิธีเล่นรูเล็ต สมัครจีคลับ คาสิโนออนไลน์
Here's Band in a Box
http://www.pgmusic.com

I'm sure there's a reason you mentioned Digitech Trio+, but I'm not quite sure why. :?:
Band in a box is implemented in Digitech’s Trio+ pedal, and works well for fleshing out compositions and arrangements in certain styles. The OP wasnt specific if it was for finished tracks or for working out tracks, so I would just mention that BiB is great in this form for developing new music quick.

I would record from the Trio+ and then use that as a temp track to develop an actual recording with other sounds and instruments in the DAW.
Ceo of my own life

tonedimension
Active
Active

Post by tonedimension » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:18 am

As a longtime Band In a Box user, I wanted to chime in on this thread. First, I have been using the audiophile edition for several years now and it has higher resolution RealTracks. I think that’s an important point going in because the RealTracks are 44K/16bit AIFF rather than 128K or 160K M4A.

Anyway, a couple of folks expressed the opinion that it was either terrible or not for final productions. If you simply use what the program gives straight away without tweaking and working with it, then they are, for the most part, correct. The resulting track will likely sound a bit stiff and synthetic regardless of where or not you use RealTracks audio. If, however, you choose to work with the application and then take the audio (when using RealTracks) and/or the midi files and import them into your DAW of choice you will start to see what is possible.

The ability to create a tune, play with the arrangement and try out different styles is really helpful in the creative process. Beyond that, once you have your arrangement worked out, there is great flexibility here regarding instruments and their individual styles, you can export audio and/or midi directly to your DAW or a directory on the local hard drive. I think a person mentioned creating solos and this is a really great application. You can generate multiple versions of a solo, each being a little different (I think the app will go through at least 4 variations) and then you can comp from there if you like. It’s a really useful thing but the tracks, and I think this is a critical point using any sampled sounds, are most effective when mixed with real instruments recorded live by you that are moving air in your studio. Does that make sense? Hope so.

All that being said, it’s not my main tool by any stretch. I use it sketching out arrangements and experimenting with stylistic changes. I use it to generate solos on instruments that I don’t have available to me or cannot play myself. I also use it on occasion to generate a tune, comp the parts, add in a real instrument played by me and have a track that is good enough to be forwarded. It’s a tool. You just have to get to know your tools.

One final point is that you should also massage the tracks in your DAW by adding some character. That character could take the form of a little analog warmth (i.e. distortion), modulation, delay, etc. Basically, something to make it a little more “special”. At that point it’s pretty much like any other audio track you would record live in your studio.
Bryan...

"Record like there is no mixing and mix like there is no mastering."

https://www.bryannicholas.com
https://soundcloud.com/tonedimension

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:24 pm

If you simply use what the program gives straight away without tweaking and working with it, then they are, for the most part, correct. I think a person mentioned creating solos and this is a really great application. You can generate multiple versions of a solo, each being a little different (I think the app will go through at least 4 variations) and then you can comp from there if you like.
That's a very good point, but I think that for the most part,the people who use it because they don't wish to do a lot of tweaking an/or using a daw with it, like why people use arranger keyboards. Many daws usually include some sort of basic melodyne
type of program where you can take a mono soloed sampled instrument from the plethora of samples available and create multiple variations. It's really about what expectations a person might want from the program whether it's worth it to them personally or not. So for someone who wants to buy one self contained program as an arrangement solution, it very well may be the best choice, however someone who wished to get intimately involved with sampling, there are plenty of better options
available.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music