What do you use for RECORDING?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

What do you use for RECORDING?

Post by slimcharm » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 pm

I am so fed up with mbox and protools..(and the lack of support when I called Tech support) I am thinking of exchanging the system for the Prosonus with cubase..someone told me that was an easier system and the reviews look better...Thoughts please?

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What do you use for RECORDING?

Post by matto » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:12 pm

Hmm,well I use Cubase but I have also used Protools. If you're just starting out I don't think one is easier than the other, they're really about the same.There is no system that will turn you into a recording engineer overnight.First, check if there are any tutorials included with the program, I would think there would be some. Otherwise you should just read the "basics" or "getting started" section of the manual very slowly and follow along step by step. Some patience is definitely in order, it will take a while to grasp it all...there's also the possibility to find someone in your area who has PT and take some "lessons" from them.matto

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:31 pm

I read the manual . I watched the software presentation...I dont expect to be an engineer overnight..but yeah I do expect to be able to make a recording of self or daughter over a piece of music after spending 40+ hours on it!It did not help that I was sent a different version then the most recent one of the software and had to spend several hours uploading the newer one..and yet after several unsuccessful downloads ( and finally success) I find out that the HELP section on it doesnt work. No fault of mine I find out several hours later..that is just not included in the download - why I dont know. Its separate so off to download that. And yeah my booklet is for the earlier version. When you are not super computer literate to start..it is very, very difficult.However, I am a determined person and I opted to go for it and figure it out..but the program froze on several occasions and my patience is long gone.Especially when I called the tech support program and never got through after spending much time on hold. Bye bye..the program is now in a box to be shipped back!I dont want to be a recording engineer..but I think with todays technology its reasonable to assume that someone should have come out with a simple system for recording...and yes it may have some tough sections but the basics should be doable for an interested novice.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:11 pm

To expect to do audio recording on PC when your not very computer literate is just not very realistic I'm afraid Slim. There are so many potential problems and pitfalls it really is a minefield. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. As regards a recording solution for you, if you are not using MIDI tracks I'd recommend getting one of the Roland VS or Boss BR recorders. The same company makes both. Relatively simple to use. Sounds great. No conflicts, computer or driver problems. You'll have to read another manual though!http://www.rolandus.com/products/subcat ... atID=48Btw, if you do want to use MIDI you could get a Roland, Korg, or Yamaha synth with an onboard sequencer. This type of synth is commonly known as a 'workstation'. Sync it to the Roland VS/Boss BR (which is very simple to do) and you've got full audio and MIDI capability with no computer hassle. Hope this helps!http://www.rolandus.com/products/subcat ... ubcatid=36

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:04 am

I think my expectations on the equipment were reasonable. I am not the best at the computer, but I can get around.I did figure out how to make a recording. I also figured out how to piece the music and vocals together. I think I accomplished alot after putting in my due diligence.I am not aiming to splice, dice, or alter the sound. The goal is to record vocals with and without music. They will be adjusted elsewhere except for simple cover songs. I was able to do tinny versions with a cheapie AVS program and noodle mic. So I think I should be able to do it with protools.HOWEVER the software program froze up on several occasions and I think I gave it a fair chance.I also went and read the reviews..(yes I usually read them in advance) but this time relied on what someone said. The reviews are not pretty on the program.THe fact that the software I was sent was the older version, the help section didnt work and tech support was not available did not help.I could see the writing on the wall with this system.I also had purchased and downloaded and was using the MP3 conversion program..so I am out extra bucks returning this..but I just feel its the right thing to do.BTW does anyone know if Presonus uses MP3 files?

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:37 am

Quote:BTW does anyone know if Presonus uses MP3 files?Hi,I don't know the specific answer to your question. However, I look at MP3's as being seperate from any recording package. Because something like Itunes is free and does an excellent job of converting WAV files (the general standard) into MP3's, I've never evaluated a recording package using its MP3 capabilities as a factor.I do my recording, mixing, mastering, etc, and export as a CD quality WAV file. From there, I can take that WAV file and burn a CD or convert it to an MP3 using something like Itunes.Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:07 am

Quote:BTW does anyone know if Presonus uses MP3 files?Presonus is a hardware company...you must be talking about Cubase LE that comes bundled with (some of) their interfaces.I have Cubase SX which is the professional version of the program and it can export mp3's, but I don't know about LE.However I agree with Dave this is not necessary. In addition to i-tunes, there are other programs such as Musicmatch Jukebox (which comes standard on most PC's and otherwise is a free download), that can easily convert any finished WAV mixes to mp3's.

h2000

Post by h2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:01 am

Are you on a Mac? Or PC?If you are on a PC, I would highly recommend one of the Sony Acid versions. Even the cheapest one is very simple to use and will have you arranging tunes quickly. I believe you can download and try a demo and it even works with the M-box ASIO drivers.

slimcharm
Impressive
Impressive

Post by slimcharm » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:31 pm

Most of the files we have are in MP3 form when we are working with them...so I wanted to use a program that could work with them if possible. When we tried to put the background music (that was in MP3 format on the mbox it would not allow us to do so. I did get the Mbox LE to use them finally but had to pay $20 additional for the MP3 Option at the site. So thats where I am out the extra bucks as I am returning the system.I understand I will have to figure out what a firewire port is and get one if I dont have one..which I dont think I do. So more learning curver here if I opt for the presonus.I am on a PC..Is the Sony Acid a program or the hardware. I assume its the program. I will check it out!

h2000

Post by h2000 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:36 pm

Acid is the program. You can use just about any soundcard/interface. It's probably the most intuitive program out there, albeit not as comprehensive. You can only record one track at a time. It imports mp3 and can export it as well if needed. They have 30day trial programs on the website (not sure the address).