what happens once you're forwarded

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

smada2

what happens once you're forwarded

Post by smada2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:17 am

First, let me say that I'm a total newbie to the forums, and to some degree, Taxi as a whole. I've been a taxi member for almost exactly a year. After four submissions, I got a forward in the last two weeks for this listing: n Australian-based Indie Label is seeking great AAA/ALT. POP ARTISTS in the general vein of Brandi Carlile, Snow Patrol, KT Tunstall, Travis, the Fray, Train, Coldplay, etc. Great songs, over-all commercial sound, and a strong marketable image are all important factors. They also want artists with completed projects to distribute in Australia, so having a full CD is a plus, but not necessary. Please submit two to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics/photo/bio (if you wish to submit your full CD, please indicated which 2-3 songs are to be screened). All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Dec. 17, 2007. TAXI # S071217AAMy question is - what happens now? Am I guaranteed to hear something back? How long will it take? Is it possible that I'll never hear anything? The suspense is killing me! Thanks for your help!

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: what happens once you're forwarded

Post by matto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:36 am

Quote:My question is - what happens now? Am I guaranteed to hear something back? How long will it take? Is it possible that I'll never hear anything? The suspense is killing me! Thanks for your help! First of all let me say CONGRATULATIONS to you. This listing is asking for the "whole package" and you should be extremely proud to be forwarded to something like this.It means you definitely have something going there, cause these types of listings are tough!To answer your questions, no you're not guaranteed to hear anything, it's impossible to know how long it would take if you do, and yes it is possible you'll never hear a thing.Basically, your music is now among a (probably pretty small for a listing like this) number of submissions which will be send to the label in question. They will review the material at their convenience, and if they decide they're interested in any of the forwarded submissions, they will contact those artists only. In other words, if they are not interested in you, you'll most likely never hear from them. This is simply a basic reality of the music business.My advice is, be proud of your accomplishment and celebrate this forward, then put it out of your mind and keep submitting and writing etc. Don't wait by the phone expecting to hear something ...that way if you DO it will be a most pleasant surprise. Best of luck to you,matto

smada2

Post by smada2 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:59 am

Thanks, Matto! You answered all of my questions very thoroughly. I greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to be excited about this forward (especially b/c it's my first), but it's kind of a mixed bag - I don't want to get my hopes up if nothing ever happens. As you said, I'll stop sitting by the phone. it's back to the grindstone, and here's hoping that something does come of it.

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 am

hi...Once, I was contacted a year after a forward, so the waiting game...is the game....that's great!!! congradulations...keep submitting the music, if you see listings...that's my 2cents.....Vicky

timmerblakely
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timmerblakely » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:24 am

Congrats on the forward on a high bar listing. That alone is something to take pride in. And good luck on the follow up. It's the little victories that keep us motivated to plug along to the big victories.

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:33 am

Hi smanda2--I've had 25 forwards over the last year, and am still waiting for my first actual contact. I'm trying to live by matto's advice and just work on new material and keep submitting, but I can certainly sympathize with a sentiment like "The suspense is killing me!"Congrats on your forward and hopefully you'll hear something soon!