What headphones/speaker set-up do screeners use?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

What headphones/speaker set-up do screeners use?

Post by djdeweese » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:28 am

Does anyone know, or can a Taxi moderator help find out, what set-up the screeners/listeners use when reviewing our music submissions? I'm using some pretty basic equipment when mastering/EQing my work, and I'm thinking of investing in better monitors. My wife had the idea that I should see what kind of listening environment the Taxi screeners are in when they hear our music.Any info anyone can share would be appreciated.

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Re: What headphones/speaker set-up do screeners us

Post by djdeweese » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Hey songwriter: Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had a web cam online! Somehow I thought they might each have small offices/studio listening booths, but its just a cubicle farm like I used to work in.I concur with you... my listening set-up is below average, though I always try listening on headphones and a variety of speakers before I call a mix final. I'd love to learn more about the final mastering process too, but for now I'm just hoping to get a better monitoring environment. Thanks again.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 am

I started a thread in Tech that asks similar questions about the listening environment.... maybe there'll be some useful responses there that will shed some light on what you should consider in your upgrades...ArkJack

djdeweese
Impressive
Impressive

Post by djdeweese » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 am

Thanks arkjack! The Tech area is probably a better place for my question. I'll check out what kind of response you get.

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:11 am

We use SONY MDR-XD100 headphones.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:29 am

Quote:We use SONY MDR-XD100 headphones. I have to ask...How long do they last?

jay10music
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jay10music » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:56 pm

I have no idea.. but I can tell you that what they listen with isnt that important. I know I know, sound quality of your song, etc.. the majority of the listings are evaluating the quality of the songwriting and not if it is radio quality mixed, etc.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:57 pm

Not to be contrary but 100% of the listings I submit to (instrumental music for film/TV) require excellent sound quality because, if chosen and a contract signed, the master I provide (probably the exact one I submitted except in .wav format) would be played on the air. This may be in the minority of the overall listings but these listings are the only ones I pay attention to for submitting my music.In my case, after the composition is taken into consideration, the sound quality has to be as good as anything heard on TV or it won't be forwarded. In the past, I have had my mixes critiqued and not forwarded because of sound quality.Any professional listener should be able to judge broadcast sound quality on a decent pair of headphones but I don't think owning the exact same headphones as the screeners and mixing on those exclusively would be a good idea.BTW: There are also many listings for songs that are asking for masters for use directly in a TV show. Sound quality is as important as for instrumental music, if not more important in these cases.Songwriting/composition has to be great but many (I would argue most) listings also want master/broadcast quality.FWIW: Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:17 pm

Quote:I have no idea.. but I can tell you that what they listen with isnt that important. I know I know, sound quality of your song, etc.. the majority of the listings are evaluating the quality of the songwriting and not if it is radio quality mixed, etc.I agree with Mazz. I am submitting primarily to instrumental listings where the quality of my production is being screened just as much as the quality of the composition. If Sound Quality is an issue, then methinks what you listen with makes some difference.... OTOH we're all happy with those Taxi headphones when we are forwarded H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:30 pm

C'mon you guys (H & M). Headphones are not why you're venting here, is it? just a guess... Now drink your kool-aid.