What is a Bed Track

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

teleblaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What is a Bed Track

Post by teleblaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:46 am

Hi All,Hoping someone can help clarify a few things for me. I had a submission recently returned. First the details The listing:A range of great, simple-sounding, but authentic FUNK INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library/Publishing Co. for TV placement. This company ran numerous TAXI listings in 2006 (and signed many TAXI songs) and is now in need of more great material as their service has become very much in demand. Style-wise, think James Brown, Prince, Tower of Power, George Clinton - that general range. They DON'T want funk fusion (smooth jazz), and they don't want tracks that sound like they were obviously MIDI generated - authenticity and great performances are the keys. Both instrumentals with lead melody lines and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK - they want both. All tempos are OK. Track length should be in the 1:00 - 3:00 range. At this point they work mostly with prominent U.K. TV channels such as the BBC and ITV, but also supply music to other production companies that broadcast worldwide. They offer non-exclusive, 50/50 deals. Broadcast quality needed [great sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than Jan. 10, 2008. TAXI # S080110FNThe song:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... am=trueThe Review:-Music/Engineering/Musicianship were 8s-Marketability/Arrangement/Production were 7s-1st comment section:"A solid groove; you might work in a couple of more interesting changes; have a little more variation. The melody is easy to grab, but consider making it a little more exciting and catchy. You might add a cool horn line to complement the guitar. "-Style was on target-2nd comment section"A great effort, Alfred. You have a solid foundation. However, there's room to kick this up a notch. Try to work in a little more variation and change on the progression. Shoot for a stronger, catchier melody on top. Think about adding some horns to complement and brighten. Overall, you're on the right track, but keep going. Best of luck!" <note, my legal 1st name is Alfred, but NOBODY calls me that >-Sound Quality was 'Well Recorded' with 'Fine' in the comments section-Main Reason not forwarded was: "Has lots of potential, but not really stand out enough for this selective listing."I'm way good with the overall critique. Some great information for me to use to make this song better; that's one of the main reasons I joined TAXI. What I'm looking for clarification on is the section of the listing that mentions Bed tracks."... and basic backing tracks that serve as "soundbeds" are OK - they want both"I was really pitching to that aspect of this listing. So, my question is. What is a bed track? (probably should have figured that out before I submitted doooh!) I assumed it was rythm tracks w/o prominent melody and or embellishments.Thanks!

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What is a Bed Track

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:47 am

I just got a children's instrumental returned that had been submitted to a similar kind of listing. The screener said it should have a more prominent melody, like yours did. I puzzled over that for bit, and I thought... well, there is a melody there, but it's not catchy enough for the listing... and probably too catchy/busy to be a bed track.So on your track, if you took off the lead guitar riffs and just left the rythm, bass & drums, that would be a bed track, I think. But I'm sure the experts here can advise you further on that.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What is a Bed Track

Post by arkjack » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi AlI gave a listen. I think its a nice cleanly recorded track and everything sounds in time and in tune and in the groove. But I do also 'feel' what the screener is saying about it having room to go up a knotch. I think its in production. The track is kind of straight forward and could have more 'life' to it. The question would be 'well... what do you mean?'. I can't say for sure, somethink like more whack to the snare in some spots, and bringing out the bass riffs in the transition spots, maybe more ambiance in the track or applied to certain parts to make them bigger at specific time points, hearing the ride cymbal come through stronger in certain sections,.... kind of a bunch of little details to weave into the mix. Those little things would add the variation and excitement that the screener mentions.The other aspect is that I think it is a well done, (great) and usable track, but I think the screener just bounced it because it wasn't 'perfect ' for the listing. Otherwise, I would keep submitting it, and work on additional versions to add in your catalog that incorporate his suggestions, or even take away and replace some existing ideas.... I am trying to do this with some of my tracks where I have multiple versions. Seems that being able to pick a version of a song helps in targeting to listings..... As far as sound beds, the way it was taught to me was being the track to a song without the vocals or melody lead,.... we otherwise call it the 'TV track'. Hope that is helpful.ArkJack