What is "polish"?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What is "polish"?

Post by elser » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:52 am

I keep getting this same critique, "needs a bit more polish" but I don't understand what that means. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Here's the reference. To my ears it sounds very raw, not polished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMzSE1c9_18

Here's my submission, I left it intentionally somewhat raw but somewhat more polished. Maybe someone here can help me see what's missing. Thanks a ton.

https://www.taxi.com/members/RpEaeReNSE ... -cutthroat

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What is "polish"?

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 am

Its always worth trying search on such things. A similar comment was discussed a few weeks ago :)
asking-for-advice-regarding-screener-s- ... 49525.html
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:49 pm

I did a search and the term polish came up 350 times and I read many of the messages. But in every case “polish” was referring to something specific in the given song; too much reverb, not enough level, pitchy vocals, etc…. But there doesn’t seem to be any universal definition of the word, it simply means something needs fixing. But unless I know what specifically needs fixing, using the word in a critique seems pointless. I need to know what I need to do better.

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 pm

elser wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:49 pm
I did a search and the term polish came up 350 times and I read many of the messages. But in every case “polish” was referring to something specific in the given song; too much reverb, not enough level, pitchy vocals, etc…. But there doesn’t seem to be any universal definition of the word, it simply means something needs fixing. But unless I know what specifically needs fixing, using the word in a critique seems pointless. I need to know what I need to do better.
One possibility is to pay $20 for a custom critique.

===
Michael

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 pm

Polished just means well produced to me. i.e. Well written, arranged , performed , recorded, mixed & mastered. The ref has all of these as does almost all commercially released music.

If I listen to your track the things that jump out at me are :-

0:00 - 0:06s - decent riff but the guitar sound is really thin and grating

0:08s- Sounds like something stumbles..not quite sure what - maybe the bass or kick...just sounds off somehow

When the main guitars come in it also has that nasty honky kinda grating sound which doesn't do the track any favours...the overall spectral balance of the thing is off and skewed toward the high mid

Also sounds like there is too much 10k from the kit...snare is too loud or too bright

1:27 - 1:37 - the stripped down section is cool but it's highlighting sloppy timing

1:39 - guitar re-entry is mistimed

So overall I would say a decently written track with musical ideas that fit the listing but let down in execution, namely a below broadcast quality mix and timing issues.

Hope that helps.

Mark

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:24 am

Sorry, I don't have the talent to help with specifics. I tried to hear the things Mark talked about, but my ears don't have that training. I do know I liked the opening riff but I thought it makes an unusual stop? The sound is great. the singer has attitude and a great delivery. The in between guitar riffs are awesome.
I hear something in the drums in a higher freq range but can't identify the source. Just wanted to say I really dig this. Much better than anything I have put together. good luck
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:11 am

A track that is teched into soulless oblivion and sounds like it was written and recorded by R2D2...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:20 am

SpecialGuestVillain wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:11 am
A track that is teched into soulless oblivion and sounds like it was written and recorded by R2D2...
That's why all my songs are recorded by Wookie. He's got soul! :lol: :lol: :lol:

jefflaplante
Impressive
Impressive

Post by jefflaplante » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 am

As Casey once said, "you can't polish a turd."
Good news is that this is NOT a turd. It's actually really good, but has some issues that were brilliantly pointed out by Mark. Try to match the guitar sound in the reference as best you can. It almost seems the the drums were recorded after the guitars, creating some slight timing glitches. They don't happen often, but when they do...it's very noticeable. If you can make those changes (sonic and timing), I think you would definitely have a forward. So just spend some time with it and try to fix those small details. The composition is fantastic.

Jeff

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 am

jefflaplante wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:06 am
As Casey once said, "you can't polish a turd."
No...but you can roll it in glitter