What is the listing asking for when...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

What is the listing asking for when...

Post by coxnvox » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:08 am

...they ask for an instrumental, then list all bands that don't do instrumentals as sound-alikes?Do they want a muzak version of the song with a sax doing the melody? Do they just want the music with the vocals taken out? Do they want you to replace the lead vocal with an Eric Johnson-ish lead line?I just got a return on a Dispatch listing that really hurt because the things the screener faulted me for I could have easily fixed in a 1 hour session if I had been clear about what they were asking for....ahhgg, that hurts.Just want to avoid that in the future if I can.Thanks,kerry
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What is the listing asking for when...

Post by mazz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:57 am

Can you post the text of the listing, the feedback and a link to the piece in question?I think you'll get more feedback and answers to your questions if we have more information to work on.I understand how the feedback could sting and I also know from experience that you win some and lose a few more. It may not get easier to take the feedback but with practice you'll get better at deciphering the listings.Post that stuff and I'll be happy to listen. I bet others will too.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:24 am

Thanks, Mazz.Again, I know exactly what the screener is saying, but how do you know from what the listing says whether they want a full-fledged instrumental or music that has some space for them to work with, if you get my meaning?Here was the listing:INDIE/MODERN ROCK INSTRUMENTALS ranging from the Killers to Modest Mouse to the Flaming Lips to the Arctic Monkeys are wanted by an Audio Software Co./Library that specializes in supplying digital media creators the means to create specialized soundtracks for their visual projects (films, TV, ads, etc.). Important: You must have the original multitracks/stems on hand and available in case the company is interested - you must be able to deliver in stems (stems = the individual recorded tracks). Do not submit material that does not meet this criteria - they can’t use it. Broadcast quality needed [great sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than March 27, 2007. TAXI # S070327MRHere's the feedback:Hey Kerry, your song features a nice uplifting vibe and good musical and melodic parts. the musicianship is solid, fitting and tight overall and the production sounds fine overall. With the exception of the intro with its melodic guitar hook the song sounds like the a lead vocal is missing- or another point of melodic interest - e.g. guitar, keyboards. So, you could add more melodic interest to the verse and chorus sections to keep the listener focused more. You could also shorten the 2nd verse and the breakdown section to keep the momentum of the song moving forward more. I wish you good luck with everything.Here's the link to my BroadJam page, the song is "Feel Again (Instrumental)"http://www.broadjam.com/artists/artisti ... 8214Thanks for any advice.kerry
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Kerry,I agree with the screener on the production aspects, well done!It seems that there is a difference in meaning between the word "instrumental" and the word "instrumental" Seriously: IMO I think they were looking for a piece of "instrumental music" which would mean a piece with an instrument or instruments playing the melody. This is in contrast to an "instrumental version" of a song which is, IMO, what you submitted.The listing also said that they ultimately want stems, which means that, in this case, the end user can choose what elements of the mix to use and they choose how much space to leave in the music. If you were forwarded and contacted by the company, you'd have to provide, for instance: bass, drums, rhythm guitar, keyboards, lead guitar, etc., all on their own tracks, or some combination of them that they may specify.If that's you on guitar, you're good enough to replace the vocal with a lead guitar melody, maybe played in harmony in some places to break it up, etc. No harm in having 3 versions available: vocal, lead instrument instrumental, instrumental version vocal muted (what you have here). I think it was a near miss this time for you. Keep up the good work.Mazz

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:02 am

Quote:The listing also said that they ultimately want stems, which means that, in this case, the end user can choose what elements of the mix to use and they choose how much space to leave in the music. If you were forwarded and contacted by the company, you'd have to provide, for instance: bass, drums, rhythm guitar, keyboards, lead guitar, etc., all on their own tracks, or some combination of them that they may specify.Mazz,That could be a daunting and expensive task if you had to send a separate CD for each track. I assume you would have a more modern way to handle this. How would you handle this or expect to?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:15 am

A CD ROM or DVD (depending on the size of the files) with the tracks as .wav files (or whatever format they specify). This would be a data CD/DVD and not an audio CD. These days it makes sense to use DVD as they hold about 7 times more data than a CD. Any modern computer will be able to produce one or the other or both.Hope this clairifies.Mazz

franz
Active
Active

Post by franz » Sun May 13, 2007 5:50 am

The reviewer mentioned "to keep the listener focused more". Now I am not an expert but for visual projects this is usually not what is needed since the visuals are the focus. Indeed when one listens to music underlying visuals it usually can not really stand on its own...?Very confusing.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun May 13, 2007 6:05 am

Quote:The reviewer mentioned "to keep the listener focused more". Now I am not an expert but for visual projects this is usually not what is needed since the visuals are the focus. Indeed when one listens to music underlying visuals it usually can not really stand on its own...?Very confusing.The first time I saw a film before the music was added, I was stunned at how empty it was. From that point of view I got a good sense of how much difference a piece of music can make. The right music really does support the visuals more than most people realize. Dave