What is this forum?

By popular demand...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: What is this forum?

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:58 pm

thanks again, Casey. I met Jimi Heath in Nashville quite a few years ago and she was more specific as to how the page came about. (She worked for Taxi at one time) I didn't know until then. anyway, as I've stated time and again, this page has always been a great resource for me. I still get asked for lyrics and I can browse here far more easily than the archive on my pc.

as far as I know, Taxi has always supported songwriters as a whole, not just a certain genre.

I've said I don't care much for modern movie and tv music. But that's only because I was asked, and asked repeatedly by the same guy. I have no interest in making my likes and dislikes known, nor do I think they have any more merit than anyone else's.

There's a bulletin board in my local post office. Some people have more notices than others. I go about my day completely disinterested in those notices, who's posting there or why. Cosmic Dolphin, I'd recommend you treat this page the same way. Listen to Sketches of Spain. Watch Shane. The dialogue is loaded with song hooks ripe for the picking. plus, Victor Young's score is wonderful.

forget about me.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:19 pm
I'm not sure what the problem is. If someone isn't interested in reading these, don't read them. We all read the posts that interest us and scroll past the others.
I never said I wasn't interested in reading them, I just said I didn't think the ones I read were very good. As far as I knew this was just a thread where people posted lyrics for review...so I reviewed 'em in the normal context of Taxi. I didn't even realise they were all from this one guy until yesterday. :lol:

It says there are 29,422 Taxi forum users so for just one among almost 30k people to have their own section here is a little unexpected. For those of us who weren't around since 2004 it just looks like some dusty old thread for half abandoned song ideas as CEMundt has highlighted. Pages and pages of dross with no replies. Maybe the Admins should do something about it to prevent future confusion, make it a hidden page instead of a public one.

But it is a public forum even if the OP seems to use it as his private repository, so it's normal to receive replies on such posts. This is the internet. It's what happens. There are far better and more private ways of sharing text files if you don't want to receive any public responses.

melodea
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodea » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:45 am

SpecialGuestVillain wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:24 am
I think I've answered this question before, and to the same person. I don't pitch to tv/movies because I have no interest in what passes for "music" in modern programs or motion pictures. It sounds more like computerized sound marshmallows than music.

thanks, Casey. :)
WOW, that’s rad :shock: :shock: Glad for you that you know exactly what the differnce is between music and marshmellows👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
[glow][/glow]Melodea a.k.a. Chris Moser

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:20 pm
Casey H wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:19 pm
I'm not sure what the problem is. If someone isn't interested in reading these, don't read them. We all read the posts that interest us and scroll past the others.
But it is a public forum even if the OP seems to use it as his private repository, so it's normal to receive replies on such posts. This is the internet. It's what happens. There are far better and more private ways of sharing text files if you don't want to receive any public responses.
100% correct that it's a public forum and therefore a place for public responses. It's not that that you respond, it's that there is an attacking tone to some of your responses. The guy's not doing Film/TV. So what? That's his prerogative. Why harp on it? If you have critique to offer on his lyrics, sure-- go for it. But my personal opinion is that the critiques should not come from a Film/TV music POV. I don't know enough about what would fly in Nashville for an artist cut to offer feedback. I'm a Film/TV song guy. AFAIK, your specialty is cues for Film/TV.

And yes, a forum like this is not the best place for someone's personal storage. I agree. This happened 17 years ago and is an artifact of the early forum days. Why should it bother anyone? Who is it harming?

OK, 'nuff said. We all have music to write.

Casey

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:12 pm

just to be clear...I began use it as an archive because my computer skills are poor and it's easy for me to come here and browse. Plus, potential co-writers used to come here and browse, as well. Most of my indie cuts resulted from that.

But that's not why Taxi gave me the page. There's an irony to why they did that pertains to this discussion.

The lyric board appears to be a ghost town. Anyone who has a problem with this page should go there and post to their hearts content. I'd love to see it and hear it. I suspect they won't. I also suspect that their material will bear the same fruit that those who were complaining about me in 2004 did.

It's been my considerable experience on these sites since 1999 that people who spend alot of time complaining about what other people post wither on the vine. They're glued to their PC when they should be listening to Robert Johnson. and their material shows it.

forget about me and my evil page. Your time would be more wisely spent if you became a Trekkie.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:37 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:12 pm
Your time would be more wisely spent if you became a Trekkie.
Live long and perspire. :lol:

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm
I'm a Film/TV song guy. AFAIK, your specialty is cues for Film/TV.
Maybe it is now but I originally joined Taxi as a songwriter, and my connection with Taxi goes as far back as geting listings via snail mail in the late 90s. See my first Taxi forum post from 2010 post205088.html#p205088

The only reason I transitioned into cues is after 5 years of vocal training I still couldn't sing to what I consider to be Broadcast Quality but the Listings had evolved over the years to include a lot of Library opportunities for instrumental music.
Casey H wrote:
It's not that that you respond, it's that there is an attacking tone to some of your responses.
Thank you

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:06 am

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:12 pm
They're glued to their PC when they should be listening to Robert Johnson. and their material shows it.
And therein lies your problem.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 am

Casey H wrote:
This happened 17 years ago and is an artifact of the early forum days. Why should it bother anyone? Who is it harming?
Whoever put it into Review Corner has it in totally the wrong place, and the thread title is meaningless/misleading to anyone who is not aware. To avoid fufture confusion it should at least be moved into the "Promote it" area along with the Self Promotion and Collaboration stuff because that's what it is. If it was labelled properly and in the right section then people would be under no illusion that these are NOT lyrics posted up for review but an individuals collaboration offerings.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:28 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 am
Casey H wrote:
This happened 17 years ago and is an artifact of the early forum days. Why should it bother anyone? Who is it harming?
Whoever put it into Review Corner has it in totally the wrong place, and the thread title is meaningless/misleading to anyone who is not aware. To avoid fufture confusion it should at least be moved into the "Promote it" area along with the Self Promotion and Collaboration stuff because that's what it is. If it was labelled properly and in the right section then people would be under no illusion that these are NOT lyrics posted up for review but an individuals collaboration offerings.
OCD much? :lol:

It's a valid point that the forum might be better moved to different place here as people don't know what it is. Why don't you simply contact Taxi and ask them?

:D Casey