What is this saying? "Intentionality"?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LoCaRi987
Active
Active

What is this saying? "Intentionality"?

Post by LoCaRi987 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi,
Just got a review that I don't understand. Here is the listing, and here is the review. Any clarification, especially on "intentionality" would be greatly appreciated because I frankly don't understand what the screener is trying to say. Thanks, fellow travelers! Trying to stay positive even tho I feel like quitting forever and throwing a coffee mug at a brick wall! Have a great, happy, sunshiny day!

REQUEST WAS FOR: EMOTIONALLY-UPBEAT PIANO-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful, NON-Exclusive Music Library that gets tons of placements in TV Shows, Films, and TV Commercials. They’re on the hunt for Mid-To-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic range of the references below: Happy Piano Music 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7fohPA9fk0 “Love Song” by Sara Bareilles: (starting at 0:00 to 0:39) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6UptPNbdA Although one of the references has vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only. Please send them well-crafted, emotionally-upbeat piano Instrumental Cues that have a positive, all-around feel-good sound and vibe. Your submissions should be primarily piano-driven! You can submit solo piano pieces, pieces with a couple of pianos, or pieces that are “piano dominant,” with some other light instrumentation included. Build your submissions around a catchy central melodic theme, and keep it interesting, dynamic, and forward-moving as your Instrumental Cue progresses. Pianos that sounds synthetic, stiff, or obviously MIDI-based won’t work for this pitch. All submissions should be about 90 seconds long (give or take). If you go a little long, don’t sweat it! Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

SCREENER REVIEWED & REJECTED - THE FEEDBACK WAS: "I think this is really close, in fact, delivering just the piano as an alternate was brilliant. The performance is emotive, upbeat, and has a really amazing vibe. I would only make a few suggestions; Add intentionality in structure and rhythm. These technical elements practiced exhaustively to a click would put this piece at a pro level."

FYI, the track I submitted was "I Always Come Back to You (Piano only instrumental 90 seconds)" found on my Taxi page.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What is this saying? "Intentionality"?

Post by lesmac » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Its a great composition. I can hear the pauses in timing the screener is referring to. Since the the introduction of DAWs with time grids people are programmed to 'like' everything on the grid. Its a case of technology influencing human behaviour/perception. Apparently a greater percentage of young females have perfect pitch due to hearing countless songs that are auto tuned.

Your track has a feel of hesitancy between passages, that is where the intentionality reference comes in I think.

If you follow the screeners recommendations you should see some success pretty soon by the sound of it. :)

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:42 pm

These technical elements practiced exhaustively to a click would put this piece at a pro level."
Yes, I agree with Lesmac...

Since we are all used to hearing everything in perfect time, you can hear the little flaws in your timing that 20 years ago would of not been noticed.
For a live performance this is not a big deal.... but for TV is may be a deal breaker..... anything that makes you stop and say....'what was that'
can get a track rejected.

Listen right around :30 and you can hear the track go out of time ....just for a few notes but it really draws your attention to it.
This can easily be fixed in any DAW....in fact the whole thing could be put into almost perfect time in any DAW... midi or not.

I would suggest learning to record to a click track if you are going to use a real piano.
This may take a while to get used to doing.... but once you can do it.... it becomes invaluable.
If you use a midi piano you can align to grid....but not perfectly (unless it sounds ok like this, and some genres do call for this),

Some people say a click destroys the feeling of a piece....and yes that can be true too.... it depends on the track....and the player.
Personally I record EVERYTHING to a click.

Again, just my 2 cents,
Tim

LoCaRi987
Active
Active

Post by LoCaRi987 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:21 am

Thank you very, very much Lester and Tim above for clarifying this. It was digitally recorded on Logic 10 using the Steinway piano setting, and I quantized it in most places, but chose not to quantize in other places in order to give a real "live feel", so your comments are very interesting. I like live sounding stuff, so I guess next time I'll completely quantize whatever piece I'm sending in.

Another issue is I do not like my present controller (AKAI Professional MPK 88). It's supposed to have a "real piano" feel, but I find the action waaaay to hard to press the keys. If there are any piano players out there who like lighter action and can recommend a controller, let me know, I'm ready to buy a new one since that is my primary instrument.

This is an abbreviated piece of a full song I wrote, so you've inspired me to record the full song and get that ready to go as well. People always like it during live shows, but it doesn't fit a category very well (my piano playing is kind of goofy ragtime-ish at times), so I was hesitant to put the money into recording it in a full studio. But I will now - thanks!!! :)

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

LoCaRi987 wrote: Another issue is I do not like my present controller (AKAI Professional MPK 88). It's supposed to have a "real piano" feel, but I find the action waaaay to hard to press the keys. If there are any piano players out there who like lighter action and can recommend a controller, let me know, I'm ready to buy a new one since that is my primary instrument.
Hi Lori - it might be a good idea for you to copy & paste this paragraph into a post on the board for Recommended Gear.
Good luck - I'll be interested to read the recommendations you get.
Cheers.
Last edited by funsongs on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:37 am

Hi Lori, it's a great, fun piece full of rag-time influence, which I played a lot of as a kid (Scott Joplin). Following on what Tim and Lester are saying, yes, I hear some hesitancy around 0:30. I've encountered such things in my recordings, too. I usually play to a click although I don't aggressively quantize--maybe use a 30-50% setting or simply tweak individual notes as I go through and listen. In some cases of what seems to be bad timing, I cannot get it straightened out by editing. It's not always strictly timing. Accents play a role, too. An improperly accented passage in perfect time can sound out of time.

Focusing on the words "intentionality" and "rhythm" in the reviewer's response, it sounds to me like the piece is not quite settled in to the rhythm that it wants to be. The off beats and syncopation don't always come in with the optimal accentuation. It sort of leaves the listener with a feeling that, "Yeah, I was going to get plugged into a groove there, but it stopped short of putting me there." By its nature the song tends to stop and start, so that's a challenge, but I believe that some work on the accents (rhythm?) will get it there.

I hear what you're saying about throwing coffee mug at the wall, LOL. This work is supremely DIFFICULT.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:53 am

Hey LongBlackNight,

You are correct....there is a little hesitation after about :30....but the part that bothers me is the notes right at :30 .... they slow down.
Call me a perfectionist!!!! but I have been called out for these little things.

I also agree with all your comments about the rhythm and accents...

Tim

PaulaRay

Post by PaulaRay » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm

It sounds like your index and middle finger on your right hand are too straight and you are hitting the key with your finger pad instead of your finger tip. I say this because when a person plays "flat-fingered" it is often hard to get complete control of the rhythm. If you play as if your are almost hitting your fingernail with rounded fingers - you'll be able to even out your rhythm better because each finger will hit with more strength. You can even drum the table like this and see the difference - curved fingers vs flat fingers. Practicing scales and Hanon exercises to a metronome click are great exercises for improving steady fingers.

I pray I don't sound bonkers. What if you are a concert pianist and I'm saying this? How embarrassing for me. I can't see your hands - how do I know?

All I know is....I teach piano and what I'm hearing mirrors a common problem I address in lessons with my students.

I did enjoy your composition. It was upbeat. If anything, I would bring out more melody and soften the comping or chording. Every passage should have a singing tone - a focus pitch that pulls the listener through the song. In your rendition, sometimes the singing tone got swallowed up by the less important pitches. For me, this is an example of lack of intentionality. My ear wasn't guided comfortably as to precisely which pitch was taking the lead throughout.

I'm new. I hope my comment is helpful and I didn't just make a fool of myself. Being helpful was my intent.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm

"I pray I don't sound bonkers. What if you are a concert pianist and I'm saying this? How embarrassing for me. I can't see your hands - how do I know?

All I know is....I teach piano and what I'm hearing mirrors a common problem I address in lessons with my students.

I'm new. I hope my comment is helpful and I didn't just make a fool of myself. Being helpful was my intent.[/quote]

:lol: The embarrassment wouldn't be that she might be a concert pianist, because if she was a concert pianist, no one would believe her now if she was,lol! The embarrassment would be if she turned out to be one of your students. :P
I think your response was enlightening and helpful.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

PaulaRay

Post by PaulaRay » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:01 am

Whew.. Thanks, Len