I honestly need your help. Please critique for me, I need to know what is wrong.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AudioNYNJA

Re: I honestly need your help. Please critique for me, I need to know what is wrong.

Post by AudioNYNJA » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks for letting me know what I can do to improve. I will lower the guitar. The add said guitar driven but it's too loud so I will lower it. I can change the drums with different beats but I definitely won't be micing a drum kit with a drummer. I was leaning towards a dancey feel good funky vibe if it's disco that's fine with me. Just going for a feel good vibe but now it's time to get better with the production end. Thanks funsongs I will do another remix and another and another and keep doing them until I get it right or close to being right. Thank you for responding and for your input.
You only live once. If you do it right once is enough.

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Re: I honestly need your help. Please critique for me, I need to know what is wrong.

Post by billhewett » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Hey Arnold,

I'm not going to address your mixes because I think that has already been handled well by others, but I did want to add four things that you might already know but are worth mentioning just in case:

1. Coming to the Forums was definitely the right move. If you post every track you are working on in the Peer To Peer section while you are in the process of mixing, with specific questions (is the mix right? does this fit the refs stylistically? etc.) then you will get a ton of useful feedback that will improve your production and mixing skills pretty quickly.

2. I think this has already been mentioned by either Mark or Kolstad, but listings from ad agencies for specific commercials are usually VERY high bar, so getting forwarded is hard enough (congrats on getting these forwarded at all!), but even once you've been forwarded there will ultimately only be ONE song chosen for the commercial. If you focus on listings for libraries you might not get placed as quickly, and the cashflow turnaround will be much slower, but you will likely get far more forwards, more bites from the library owners, and end up with more lines cast waiting for a bite.

3. The mantra used by a lot of folks here on the forums is "Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat" (or, as I recently saw it rewritten, "Write, Submit, Improve, Repeat")... part of the idea there being that your time will be much better spent writing more new material, rather than going back and trying to improve older tracks. Remixing something that is already "complete" can be a huge amount of work that could have gone into a new song.

4. If you can make it to the Road Rally you should make that a priority! There is a lot of technical information, but also helpful classes on approach to mixing, time management, and other stuff to help get yourself to the next level. And you get to see all of our pretty faces in person ;)

Hope this helps!

-Bill

AudioNYNJA

Post by AudioNYNJA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks so much Bill for taking the time to help steer me along. I probably won’t make the rally because it is a very busy time of the year when they hold it and I would need to really be prepared. I am not one of those outgoing types either. I will eventually make it to a rally some day but I hope to have gotten some music out there first. Instead of just getting forwards. I like what you said about the libraries and I will continue to move on and use this forum. I will do a remix but I won’t spend too long on it and I will move on. Thanks so much for your input.
You only live once. If you do it right once is enough.