What Keyboard_?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Re: What Keyboard_?

Post by zink » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Where was I? Oh yeah... rambling.One nice thing about using a clavanova in the studio would be having a good sound at your fingertips. There are better piano sample libraries, but the Clav's got a good sound to begin with, so you don't have to worry about any latency issues while your playing. Then you can go back afterwords and switch out the sound for a better one (such as Native Instruments Bosendorfer 290). What ever you do, play as many different boards as you can. Bring your Chopin Etudes with you and go to town for an afternoon. Find a keyboard the feels as natural as you can find!Wavelab is an audio editor made for mastering (tweaking a mixed track after it's done. Bring up the levels, a little eq...) You'll want DAW. Something you can mix audio and sequence midi with. Since your working of a pc, you should check out Cakewalk. I'm sure there are some other good pc DAWs. Maybe someone can suggest some other ones for you.That's all I have to say for now.Good luck!Z

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 am

Quote:Thank you again, and keep rambling, ha ha! I'm gonna follow all advices! I`m reading and in a few days will go to a music store ( waiting for money) but I agree that I need an 88 key that I could "feed" sounds . Sturdy too, since yes, I could "burn down" a few keys. If anyone wants to "ramble" about wavelab vs...whatever, please, please do Just rambling. Here's something to consider if, like the rest of us, you're on a budget.You've been using your DGX 505. Keep it. No reason to throw it away unless it's just unbearable to play. Don't think of it in terms of its sound, just in terms of its playability. Assuming you go that route, here's what you can do (I'm mirroring my setup to some extent). Get a good computer. A specialized audio computer is nice but they're pricey and not necessary for most. I do a LOT of stuff with a computer that only has a 2.1 mHz AMD processor, 1.5gb of RAM and a decent hard drive. Next, get a quality soundcard that's still inexpensive. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Next, get a good DAW (digital audio workstation). That gives you your mixing board, effects, etc as well as a few synths that they usually throw in. I use Sonar but Cubase is a great choice as well. At this point you have everything in place and can then buy the virtual instruments as you need them. These are your "sounds" and you'll use your keyboard (midi'd into your computer via your soundcard) to play and record these sounds inside of your DAW. Most virtual instruments run a couple hundred dollars. The Boesendorfer 290 is now on sale at soundsonline.com for around $100. That's a lot cheaper than the real thing and the sound quality is outstanding. EWQL Gold is a GREAT orchestral package, not their "top of the line" but outstanding nonetheless. It's $400 and something. Anyway, the general idea is the get the basics (keyboard, computer, DAW). From there, the cost of buying new synths, piano's and orchestral packages in the form of virtual instruments is pretty cheap.Dave

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:27 pm

Aha! This keeps getting better! No, I`m not throwing away the 505. I like the way it feels and with a few plugins I`ve been able to fool people thinking is a piano. It's better orchestral sounds what I wanted. I also have an m-audio 2496 which I was able to install but it's not working. Im using the el cheapo soundcard that came with the puter. The keyboard is hooked to the soundcard. The m-audio has 3 cables that I have no idea where to connect them.( Don't laugh ) I gave up on it, have almost no free time since I work in Medical full time.Yeah, budget is an issue, but if Im careful I think I`ll be able to manage something decent for starters, hence all the questions
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Quote:Aha! This keeps getting better! No, I`m not throwing away the 505. I like the way it feels... I also have an m-audio 2496 This is definitely working in your favor. So you basically have three of the major four components you need. If I'm correct, you have:1. A keyboard that you like (in terms of feel/playability)2. A computer3. A good soundcardIt would be well worth a few hours of consulting time to have someone come over and set it up so that your keyboard is plugged into your soundcard correctly and that the software for the soundcard is set up correctly with the correct drivers and latency settings. Once that's done, then you just need a DAW. Something like Sonar or Cubase. Depending on what you get it can run from, say, $300 to $700. After that, it's just a matter of buying, installing and playing virtual instruments. These are plugins that will reside inside of your DAW. You'll play these instruments using your keyboard, which is plugged into your soundcard, which is connected via software to your DAW. One thing I forgot, but it's obvious. You need speakers connected to your computer to hear what you're playing/recording. You're probably closer to this whole thing than you think and being in Miami is a big advantage. Should be a lot of good music stores. Sam Ash in Hialeah is probably your best bet overall.By the way, I got into the most trouble I've ever been in my life playing in Miami when I was a lot younger (early-mid 80's)... ahhhh, what memories! Dave

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Ok, have more questions but I'll let you guys rest for a while. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm sure everybody is busy. Miami has changed a lot, Dave and I`m not sure is for the better. I moved here from New Orleans in 88, and it's not the same since they closed the Hollywood Sportaturium. Those were the days!

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:39 am

ok, I'm back. Hope everybody is not stuffed with turkey and feeling lazy, Found out why ( didn't remember ) I can't connect the sound card to the keyboard. The DGX 505 only has midi out to the computer via USB. Doesnt have midi In, its not a controller. So I guess I do need another Keyboard anyway

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:26 am

Quote:ok, I'm back. Hope everybody is not stuffed with turkey and feeling lazy, Found out why ( didn't remember ) I can't connect the sound card to the keyboard. The DGX 505 only has midi out to the computer via USB. Doesnt have midi In, its not a controller. So I guess I do need another Keyboard anyway Hi Brinda-You should be able to route the incoming MIDI data from the DGX505 to the soundset in your sound card, even if it's not directly connected via MIDI cables (since your DGX doesn't appear to have MIDI in/out ports).I'm not sure how this would function with your specific hardware/software setup, though it's usually done within the sequencing program's audio and/or midi setup menus. Don't give up on the idea of using the DGX as a controller; it can very likely be done.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 am

Quote:The DGX 505 only has midi out to the computer via USB. Doesnt have midi In, its not a controller. So I guess I do need another Keyboard anyway It's hard to believe that any semi-modern keyboard doesn't have that but I found this in a little review online:"One draw back however is the lack of standard MIDI in and out"Yeah, that would be a drawback. You can always try to do workarounds but my personal preference is where I don't have to do workarounds.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:58 am

A little story.....During my first year at Taxi, I was finding out that what I thought were decent recordings, were actually not up to snuff. At conferences and through my network, I started doing the homework as to what gear changes to make to the studio to get where I need to be. In the old configuration I had an Ensoniq SQ synth that in its day was state of the art, but since got bought out by Emu, and hence support was lacking. An engineer Richard Waller I had a discussion with recommended that I get something with more up to date sound and software in the Tirton Motif class. I was hesitant, but when I could not get the MIDI communication working between the SQ and the other new gear I realized it was time to bite the bullet. The moral of the story is that I probably lost 5 months of production time and missed taxi opportunities by screwing around with the SQ which I should have realized from the get go was junk and was never going to be right. Who knows, I could have had a forward or a deal by now that would be paying me back for the investment I ultimately made in a Roland Fantom. So, if the existing equipment is going to waste resources of time and substandard production, consider that as part of how much more and sooner to make the purchase of the keyboard that is going to max your potential.Best regards, nice weekend on the east coast....ArkJack

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:03 pm

Ok Guys, this is GREAT! So far I've learned: soundcard is installed correctly but doesn`t work because of keyboard.Since I have 2 soundcards , and one of them is hooked up to the Yamaha, I`ll still be able to use the Yamaha`s piano sound if I want to.Found out a friend has both: Cubase and Sonar and will give me whichever I want for free! I need an 88 key keyboard. Narrowing down, I'm considering either a Korg Triton or a Roland Fantom. Will know more when I go to a music store and try them.Will go to Guitar Center (Sorry Dave, no Sam Ash in Hialeah, you need to take Valium first to drive there with us crazy Cuban drivers out there!)Will be able to buy sounds later. THANK YOU GUYS!!