What's In Your Studio?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What's In Your Studio?

Post by nomiyah » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:01 am

I'm interested in what's in your studio. Include recording system, consoles, headphones, monitors, mics, preamps, software, back up system, instruments, sequencers...There are many posts about people's studio equipment but it would be useful all in one thread. I found this post by Nick Batzdorf (hope you don't mind my reposting):I have a DAT machine, a cassette deck, a patchbay, a Kurzweil 1000PX module...and actually I just sold the Alesis DM5 module (someone is supposed to come by and pick it up).My studio consists of two G5s with MOTU PCI-424 hardware (the main G5 is my mixer), a UAD-1 card on my main G5, two PCs with Frontier Designs Wavecenter PCI cards, a third PC that I need to fix, and lots and lots of virtual instruments, sample libraries, and software. I also have two Millennia Media channel strips (I sold all my other outboard gear to buy them), a Waves L2 that I use for its converters, and Kurzweil K2500 that I use as a master controller. Then I have a drumKAT set, an Akai EWI (okay, two - one is a spare), and a Yamaha VL1. And I use Blue Sky System One monitors (sats + subwoofer). Oh, and a Digidesign MBox on my main G5 so I can run Pro Tools (I recently sold my MIX system and haven't looked back). And I have some mics.I have some other stuff kicking around the garage and in my closet that I don't use anymore, such as a Kurzweil 250RMX (K250 rack), but that's about it. It's a lot of stuff, but I used to have racks of stuff and a mixer; I also used to have much less room.This is what it most of it looks like now (except that I'm endowed with one of those oversexed 30" Apple Cinema displays instead of those two monitors): http://homepage.mac.com/virtualinstrume ... um9.htmlIf you click on Graphite album at the top, you can see how I have my computers in the garage on the other side of the wall.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: What's In Your Studio?

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:08 am

Here's my list. I don't have any photos as I'm doing a bit of re-organizing. I might post some later.PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz w/ 5G RAMMac G4 800Mhz upgradeMac G4 Laptop 12"Carrillon Music PC 3.4G P4, 2G RAM, RME HDSP9652 audio card.Compaq computer 2.4 G P4 1G RAM m-audio HDSP 24 audio card (woodwind section )Motu 2408 Mk1Motu 24iMOTU 308Motu PCI 424 cardM-Audio Firewire 410Lucid GenX 6-96 Word Clock Generator Motu MTP AVMotu MTP 1Benchmark DAC1 (on its way)Presonus Central Station w/remoteElectrix Mo-FXLine 6 Filter ProLine 6 Echo ProLexicon MPX 500 (w/550 upgrade)Roland SVC-350 Vocoder (Vintage early 80's)Ibanez AD202 Analog Delay (Vintage early 80's)Funk Logic Digilog Dynamicator (absolutely quiet, includes vintage UV meter)Radikal Sac 2.2 control surfaceEvent Project Studio 8 MonitorsSony MDR V900 headphonesdbx 386 mic pre (2 ch tube, SPDIF out)dbx 166xt compressorNeumann TLM 193 MicMXL 603s (pair)SM58SM57Radial JDI passive stereo DIM-Audio Micro Track 24M-Audio 02 USB MIDI controllerM-Audio Trigger Finger USB MIDI controllerBehringer FCB 1010 MIDI Foot ControllerRoland V-Synth KeyboardEmu E-Synth UltraKorg X5DRDave Smith Instruments EvolverNord Electro 2Emu PK-6 Oberheim OB-8 (in storage but available)Korg Wavestation EXKorg X50Kurzweil SP88 piano (MIDI controller)Digital Performer 5.11Live 6Reason 3Reaktor 5Kontakt 2Peak 5Sibelius 4Finale 2007Quantum Leap Platinum Orchestra PRO XP (130 GB of 24 bit orchestra samples, 3 mic positions)Quantum Leap Symphonic ChoirsStormdrumRAVaporAdrenalineBosendorfer 290 (sampled)Steinway B (sampled)Tons of samples, loops <30G Garritan Personal OrchestraGarritan Jazz and Big BandGarritan Stradivarius ViolinSteinberg Virtual GuitaristToonTrack EZ Drummer with Latin Percussion, Vintage Rock expansionYellow Tools MajesticPercussive Adventures 1 and 2East West Gypsy (pre-ordered)Stylus RMXAtmosphere Dream SynthKorg Virtual Instrument Collection Digital and HardwareBach Stradivarius TrumpetLava Lamp (blue base, red "lava", low noise, no distortion)1964 Gibson ES175 guitarRoland Micro-cube ampAmpeg Reverb Rocket guitar amp (vintage)Harmony Tenor guitar (4 strings, tuned like Viola)Hohner Melodica
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:46 pm

Quote:Whoa, Mazz, got enough gear? I'm kidding... thanks for all the posts. Interesting to read what's working for people.Actually no, uh yes, uh no, uh yes, uh no........... I've been a gear freak since I was a kid. Now with all the great new sounds it just gets better and better. A Rhodes and a phase shifter through a Bassman 10 was IT back in "the day". That's what started it all for me.............. Bought it new, Stage 73. Wish I still had that Rhodes..... Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:08 pm

Hey!!You forgot the most important item of equipment.A creative mind. Without that, the other equipment is useless.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Tue May 01, 2007 6:02 am

OK y'all have way more gear than I do. I'll list mine soon, too. But here's a twist, divide your gear into 2 categories. Daily essentials, and stuff that hasn't been used in 6 months(or not even turned on). Don't ask me why. steve

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Tue May 01, 2007 10:29 am

hi folks,here's my list:Computer * PC p4 3.2 ghz with Cubase SX 3, Houston Controller, TC Powercore, 2x UAD-1, NI Reaktor, div. Plugins and other editing software. audiointerface: rme hammerfall.Micro's * Shure SM 58 & 57, beta 57, Sennheiser e-609 black, Neumann TLM 103.Hardware * Great River ME-1NV Preamp and D.I., RNC Compressor, ADAM p22 Monitors, Behringer headphoneamp, Mackie 1604 mixer, CD-Player, Studer reel to reel A-77 (consumer).synths/samples * a bunch of vst-i's and samples.guitars * Fender Strat, modified w/ Seymour Duncan Humbucker; Diego Tele with Palisander fretboard, PRS Soapbar SE, Ibanez Bass, Norman steel string ac., Heritage 150cm (Les Paul type), "Legend"-guitar with Drop-C Tuning; classic Takamine guitar (ac); dobro ac. guit; seagul 12-string; lapsteel guitar; mandoline; and I just ordered a 5-sting banjo as well as an greece buzouki - my room is getting thight..;)amps/Fx * Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Amp, Marshall 2x12" Box, VOX AC-30 TB RI, Marshall Superbass 100 (modified, from 1976), IsoBox with Brunetti Blue Speaker. Line 6 POD ll, Womanizer and Demonizer by Damage Controll; Dunlop Crybaby, Volumenpedal "selfmade", MXR Envelope Pedal, RangeKing Treble Boost, THD Hotplate.yo, that's it. my current goal is to use my guitar-park more often, so I have a legitimation for all the space they need.. cheers,martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Tue May 01, 2007 10:34 am

Quote: OK y'all have way more gear than I do. I'll list mine soon, too. But here's a twist, divide your gear into 2 categories. Daily essentials, and stuff that hasn't been used in 6 months(or not even turned on). Don't ask me why. steveI don't have enough stuff to not use it all almost every day. Forgot to add the all important Finale Songwriter that gets abused, I mean used (no, abused was right) nearly every day.I think I didn't play the Yamaha yesterday...
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue May 01, 2007 10:49 am

He waited. Patiently waiting, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. The Turrets-like compulsion to just blurt it out was almost uncontrollable. Finally the day came, the day he had always dreamed of. The day when Mazz could finally answer the question... "What's In Your Studio?".

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue May 01, 2007 11:11 am

1) Guitar2) Capo3) Tape recorder4) Checkbook

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 am

Quote:But here's a twist, divide your gear into 2 categories. Daily essentials, and stuff that hasn't been used in 6 months(or not even turned on). Don't ask me why.Good idea. Since my studio is now "private," my isolation room is now a closet. Here's what I use currently:Mac G4 running MOTU Performer, MOTU Mosaic.Vision DAW PC running Kontakt: EWQLSO Gold (soon, Garritan Strad & Gofriller).PC running GigaStudio: Dan Dean W.W.; Quantum Leap Brass; GOS Lite; Sam Horns; VOTA; G-Town cymbals & snares.PC running ProTools LE; Firewire into Digi002.Emu e6400 sampler: Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra etc.Proteus 2 Orchestral.Roland JV-90 w/Orchestral expansion.M-Audio Firewire Audiophile.Echo Gina 3-G.MOTU Midi Express XT.Alesis Quadraverb 2.Alesis Midiverb 2.Samsung 17" & 20" LCD video monitors.Envision & Sylvania 19" video monitors.Soundcraft 16-channel analog board.Empirical Labs Fatso Jr.Alesis Masterlink.Yamaha NS 10-M monitors.Definitive Technology DR-7 monitors.KRK V6 monitors.Marantz power amp.------------------------------------------In the "closet":1963 Fender Stratocaster.1989 Takamine 360 SC acoustic guitar.Soldano Series 2 guitar pre-amp.Peavey 60/60 tube power amp.Fender 70's Deluxe Reverb amp.Ampeg 70's VT-40 amp.Marshall 4x12 cabinet.Ampeg 2x12 cabinet.Lots of guitar effects pedals.Alesis ADAT XT.Mac Powerbook 3400.Prophet 600 synthesizer.Roland SH-101 synthesizer.dbx 160x limiter/compressor.Aphex Aural Exciter.Delta Lab Effectron.Alesis Stereo compressor.BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer.Marantz CDR 630.Proteus 1EgoSys Wamirack 24.Technics DA-10 DAT.TASCAM 22-2.Sennheiser K2-U condenser mic.Shure SM-57 mic.(2) PZM mics.MOTU Midi Express.(2) Apple Laser Writers.(2) Iomega 100 Zip drives.TEAC V 1010 cassette deck.Alesis HR-16 drum machine.---------------------------------------------------Make me an offer on the gear in the closet! Ern