What's my title

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RHicks
Active
Active

What's my title

Post by RHicks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:42 am

Hi Folks

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in the UK social conditioning suggests your job title is of critical importance. I don't subscribe to this however, but when speaking to people (and networking) I haven't landed on a suitable response to the question "and, what do you do?"

I've used the following titles:
- I write music for TV
- Composer
- Music Producer
- Media Composer
- etc

I've had music on the TV for around 13 years now though it's been a supplementary income to my day job, running a small tech business. However now, I'm writing full time and starting to network more, pitch more (thanks to TAXI etc) so I would like to solidify my working title for business cards, website, linkedIn etc.

Like many of you guys, I write/record/mix/master all compositions. My target audience is all forms of media. I'm not a performer, I'm not in a band, I don't write score.

Is it arrogant to say I'm a 'Media Composer'? It feels suitably descriptive but from a purist point of view, I've always thought of a composer as someone who works with dots and lines on sheet paper before committing the playing/recording.

So, the question is....what do you guys use as a job title?

Many thanks

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What's my title

Post by ttully » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Somehow the words Doctor and or Astronaut always seem to come up when I tell people what I do... ha!

Tim

RHicks
Active
Active

Re: What's my title

Post by RHicks » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 am

Thanks folks. It's useful to bounce the idea. I do use the astronaut, mountain rescue and fighter pilot titles when I'm bored at social gatherings. Music Producer is what I've been using but in Europe this term tends to lend itself more to electronic/EDM/etc writers although some would disagree. I think I'm going to run with 'Media Composer'. I'll get over it and move on. Thanks again chaps.

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic