What's The Purpose Of Life

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

erandall
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: What's The Purpose Of Life

Post by erandall » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:31 am

Hmm. Is this a trick question? Cheers,EllenBTW, the answer is sex of course!

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:38 am

Feb 8, 2009, 5:31am, erandall wrote:Hmm. Is this a trick question? Cheers,EllenBTW, the answer is sex of course!OK guys... resist the temptation... DO NOT ask "So... are you attending the Rally this year?". It's not an easy job, trying to keep these knuckle-scraping Neanderthals in line all the time...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:27 am

Feb 8, 2009, 5:38am, davewalton wrote:Feb 8, 2009, 5:31am, erandall wrote:Hmm. Is this a trick question? Cheers,EllenBTW, the answer is sex of course!OK guys... resist the temptation... DO NOT ask "So... are you attending the Rally this year?". ROFLMAO!!!

jwebbinspired
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jwebbinspired » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:42 am

Feb 7, 2009, 1:44pm, pitterpatter wrote:Way too deep of a question, Bradn but it's one we've all wondered about. I tend to think of this planet as a giant school. I believe we are all here to improve our souls in whatever way God deems best. We are all teachers and students at the same time. I also believe that Jesus Christ is the example of perfect love that we can aspire to be like and that He is here to help us in any way He can if we pray and ask Him. The struggles we go through force us to choose between right and wrong, darkness or light and there are consequences for every choice we make. ie. If I buy a new pair of shoes when I already have 20 pairs of shoes, when I know that there are people starving in the world, what kind of decision is that? Until I arrive at the right choice which is to value human life more than I value another pair of extra shoes that I may end up not even liking or caring about in a couple of weeks, I will continue with the lessons of materialism. And what's the best way to learn that lesson? Jesus said that a man will reap what he sows. So, someday, someone may buy an extra pair of shoes while I starve or some similar experience. There is nothing like getting it back to find out what it's like to be the recipient of that kind of attitude. I believe we will continue to reap what we sow until we learn what we are supposed to and the need for the lesson is gone. When the need for the lesson is gone, the lesson goes and another one presents itself. That's pretty much my philosophy regarding the meaning of life. I agree with PitPat's post. I don't think the "die" part of life was intended....but since every single one of us is sinner there was no way to keep a perfect thing going (Garden of Eden)...and so death was the natural thing that would eventually happen (untreated diseases are a great example)...and out of love Jesus Christ paid our balance and all we have to do is accept it. Knowing all that, I can watch Monty Python in utter peace Andy

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 am

Feb 8, 2009, 5:38am, davewalton wrote:Feb 8, 2009, 5:31am, erandall wrote:Hmm. Is this a trick question? Cheers,EllenBTW, the answer is sex of course!OK guys... resist the temptation... DO NOT ask "So... are you attending the Rally this year?". It's not an easy job, trying to keep these knuckle-scraping Neanderthals in line all the time... That was superhuman, Dave. You are the MAN. So. Are you?

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 am

Religion and spirituality aside, I think lifes meaning(s) is/are whatever we choose our lives to be. And this is not a static thing. As my life changes then so does its meaning. Right now the meaning of my life is pure and simple. Make enough money so my wife and I arent on the streets and make the best music I know how to make. The sub meaning to this is to learn how to be a better person in a really f*%$#ed up world. And of course, My wife and I totally agree with Ellen's comment as well. 10 years ago my lifes meaning was even more simple. Make music and have lots of groupies! M~

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by allends » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:49 am

Feb 7, 2009, 9:42pm, hummingbird wrote:... my goal in life is to rise above my programming and become more than I ever dreamed of being. To be in the music every day and to live the most creative life I can.Sister Vikki,My soul mate couldn't have summed up these shared views better. Thank you for remind me of my path.Allen

lindpop
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lindpop » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:32 am

There´s only one thing I know. That is , I don´t know anything,but, I know that.
http://www.lindpop.com
Listen to the path that belongs to your heart.

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by anne » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:53 am

I'm still learning what the question is, and I think that is the answer.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:27 am

Well, now that we have the basis for discussion, I'd like to split a hair or two between "meaning" and "purpose". I don't think I have an answer for "meaning". What's it mean to you?If you're asking about purpose, I've got mine, and I hope you get yours; here's how it shakes out for me:When we're born, we come from someplace; when we die, we go someplace. They might be the same place, but we can't know for sure, 'til somebody makes it back here with a report. I believe it's the same place, one that's been described as a house of many mansions, and I also believe that it's the place where the music comes from, but opinions vary. This place has many names, some call it Heaven and capitalize the "H", others call it the Well of Souls.I believe our souls' purpose is to grow and to learn what it is to be human; and that this may be only the tiniest part of our journey back to the One. (AKA The Well) I also believe that we all have a spark within us that recognizes truth and acts as a sort of receiver for messages, wisdom, guidance or maybe just the reassurance of divine love. I believe also that if we nurture that spark, it begins to transmit as well as receive, so that folks with a little less spark can still get the message. I call those people Artists. (and I like to capitalize the "A")I don't believe there's any way we can know with certainty what a Supreme Being could possibly want or need from us, particularly one that's defined as omniscient, omnipresent and eternal, the concept of worship in that context seems (to me) faintly ridiculous; but I choose to believe God wants us to shine.Like the song said, "I'm just an old lump of coal, but I'm gonna be a diamond one day."
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone