What's The Purpose Of Life

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

feaker
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: What's The Purpose Of Life

Post by feaker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:35 am

I hate when this happens.I have a birthday coming soon and decided to write a quick and simple song of reflection with this exact same theme.Was going to post it, but not now. Gives me the creeps when this happens. ( and it happens to me a lot)YikesPaul

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:29 am

That's how you can tell your spark is lit and your antennae work, Paul. Sting wrote about this on Synchronicity.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

timbehrens
Impressive
Impressive

Post by timbehrens » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:55 am

Feb 8, 2009, 11:27am, mojobone wrote:When we're born, we come from someplace; when we die, we go someplace. They might be the same place, but we can't know for sure, 'til somebody makes it back here with a report. I believe it's the same place, one that's been described as a house of many mansions, and I also believe that it's the place where the music comes from, but opinions vary. This place has many names, some call it Heaven and capitalize the "H", others call it the Well of Souls.I believe our souls' purpose is to grow and to learn what it is to be human; and that this may be only the tiniest part of our journey back to the One. (AKA The Well) I also believe that we all have a spark within us that recognizes truth and acts as a sort of receiver for messages, wisdom, guidance or maybe just the reassurance of divine love. I believe also that if we nurture that spark, it begins to transmit as well as receive, so that folks with a little less spark can still get the message. I call those people Artists. (and I like to capitalize the "A")I really like this, mojobone. I think it sums up my own beliefs very nicely. I think we are here to learn and grow. The universe is very patient in that if you ignore the lessons, they keep coming back in different ways again and again. I think when people examine their lives and their histories, they can find re-occurring themes and struggles. Life, to me, is about identifying them and then working to transcend them. I'm going through the Artist's Way right now, and that is a great little course for putting you in touch with your inner voice... the one that observes and learns from our life lessons, the ups and downs. I think when we can sort through all the day to day chatter that goes on in our heads that there is a calm place, a place that connects us to the world and from which empathy and love can flow... and that it's also the place from which our creativity arises, our desire to be an active participant in creation.On the other hand (and I say this only half-jokingly) I think our life only has meaning/purpose when we choose to find meaning/purpose. It's just as easy to walk around like a ghost and see everything as a random series of events with no point, because we all meet the same end and history fades away. The alternative (the belief in something a bit larger) is a much happier existence, though.

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 am

Timbe,Very good points. We assign meaning to our lives or we don't. (in other words, we do what we do) As has been said in much betta poetry than I could ever write, we are eitha in this world or on it.

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:41 pm

Feb 9, 2009, 12:42am, squids wrote:Well, it's made mine betta.Will that work? More than you'll ever know...

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Wow. Deep, deep thread.I once heard a preacher say, if there are many ways to God, Christianity is not one of them. What he meant was that Christ claimed to be the only way, and He backed it up with quite a bit of evidence. I know everyone's got their own views. I guess each of our jobs is to stay open, stay flexible, and put some serious effort into figuring out if there is one, many or any ways, and which ways are true.I'd like to think that me being nice to everyone is a good way, but I know that as nice as I've been (I think ), I've still hurt people...some pretty badly, some not. So I'm not too confident in getting by on my own qualifications. I'm gonna need help.
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

southpaw
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by southpaw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:59 pm

"Whats the purpose of life?"To find your purpose in life... Im still not sure of mine, sometimes i wonder why? I suppose i'll know it when i know it, Cuz God's a poet dont he show it? I think god should have made a 'plugin' that could give me elaborate clues as to the meaning of my existance.. I cant seem to find that one at guitar center yet. ;-)Me like woman, {grunt} and me like music, me like livin and me try to use it. (Fire=hot Sand=soft Rock=hard Food=eat Time=not enough){chest thumping oooOOoooOOOoooooO. ---> ....with a slight notch filter at 105Hz and a small boost at 1k for presence!JL
Stay Fresh,

Jamie Leger 
The Music Business Architect for Independent Musicians

--> FREE GUIDE: Double New Fan Signups At Your Next Show!

Proudly Helping Hundreds of Modern Musicians liberate the music business-on their own terms.

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Feb 9, 2009, 6:59pm, southpaw wrote:I think god should have made a 'plugin' that could give me elaborate clues as to the meaning of my existance.. I cant seem to find that one at guitar center yet. ;-)It was in their sale flyer last week. But like always, when ya get to the counter and ask for it, they tell ya they just sold the last one.
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

southpaw
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by southpaw » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:02 pm

Quote:"It was in their sale flyer last week. But like always, when ya get to the counter and ask for it, they tell ya they just sold the last one.THEY TELL YOU THAT TOO!? What i still cant get is, even when i camp out the night before their 'weekly everything in the store MUST go - No reasonable offer refused unless its less than the retail price , sale... They still 'just ran out'. I think its a conspiracy to keep me learning things on my own... I hate it cuz it never ends! Hey, can't you just let me try the demo version for 30 days!? Gimme a break. My head hurts from all the times i smack it into the wall... Ain't life grand!
Stay Fresh,

Jamie Leger 
The Music Business Architect for Independent Musicians

--> FREE GUIDE: Double New Fan Signups At Your Next Show!

Proudly Helping Hundreds of Modern Musicians liberate the music business-on their own terms.

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:42 pm

The purpose of life is to remember why we came here. (experience X number of events in X environments) a bit like reading a thread on a forum. The meaning of life is the reason we have a purpose. (add to the collective of love and knowledge of the human experience) more like reading all the threads in a forum. So I believe, meaning is a bigger subject than purpose. Purpose can change, meaning doesn't. Oohh, am I deep? I absolutely love it when people start talking about this stuff. Every time we do, it makes us better people. Every single time. Just the mere mention of the purpose of life, makes people act differently. As well it should. ps - to Paul, when you get that feeling, go with the flow brother.