What To Bring To The Rally (2022 Edition!)

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

What To Bring To The Rally (2022 Edition!)

Post by Casey H » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:01 am

What To Bring To The Road Rally

People are always asking what to bring to the road rally and there have been many great threads and posts about that. I thought I’d revisit this and summarize my thoughts for 2022. Additional comments and suggestions are very welcome! :D

OK, here goes…

* An open mind

* Pen and paper

* Business cards… Most important item probably! Make sure it has your name, email address, phone number, and a link to your BEST music (Soundcloud, Box, Disco, etc.) . QR codes fine but also have links spelled out for the less techie. Simple is fine! READABLE is most important!

* Music on your iPhone or similar personal device. If your phone requires a lightning to headphone jack adapter, bring one. A headphone splitter is also a good thing to have so you can hear what the listener is hearing and get it right. Thanks Telefunkin! For mentor sessions, most of the time, mentors will be OK plugging in their headphones to your device for a listen. Make sure the volume isn't blasting when you hand it to them. :o

* CDs... This is one of the most discussed subjects. What kind, how many, etc? There are 4 main reasons (actually 3 now) to bring CDs. You can use the same CDs for all purposes or make different ones.

Note for ALL CDs regardless of purpose: Always make sure your track list, name and contact information (email and phone) are on both the outside packaging and the CD. These things can get separated. This applies to envelopes as well as jewel cases. When I do envelopes, I use a computer printed stick-on label with that info. Track lists on packaging are very important. Once a CD is in a car player, for example, the listener can’t read what’s printed on it. NEVER put your track list ONLY on the CD.

AUDIO CDs, NOT MP3 (Data) CDs! Audio CDs will play in any player, boom box, car, or other.

I find that for the RALLY, envelopes are better than jewel cases because of ease of packing both for you and anyone you give a CD to. If you are an artist with fully packaged, mastered CDs in jewel cases, that might be an exception.

Back to those 4 purposes…

-1- Give to industry contacts. Becoming MUCH LESS of a thing nowadays but still happens occasionally. Chances are you’ll give out WAY LESS (maybe NONE) of these than you might think when coming for the first time. Certainly be prepared with maybe a few for THIS purpose but keep in mind that making contacts, exchanging business cards, and following up later (such as a week later) usually works best. Industry folks at the rally get inundated with folks handing them CDs. They probably toss a lot of them in the trash. Running up to these people and shoving CDs at them is a bad idea. If you meet someone at the bar or some other setting, strike up a conversation and they ask YOU for a CD, OK but don't count on it and certainly don't force it!

These CDs should obviously have your absolute best work. You don’t need a lot of tracks on them because you either wow them with the first 1-3 or forget it. At least make sure the first few tracks are the best ones. That’s what will matter. (If you absolutely need a recommended number of tracks, I'd say in the 3-8 range).

People always ask if it’s OK to put tracks on CDs that are already signed exclusively. Opinions vary on this but MY opinion is since you are often trying to show what you CAN do, it’s fine. If you get contacted about one of those tracks, you can tell the other party the track is signed but you can write more like that for them.

-2- Give to your mentor (one on one session, in case they ask) and the mentors at mentor Eat and Greet lunches. IF you attend a mentor lunch ("Eat and Greet"), most mentors will take CDs from everyone at each table. So for EACH mentor lunch you attend, assume 5-6 CDs from your stash.

-3- Dropping for listening panels. NO LONGER RELEVANT as this is all done by submissions to special Taxi listings.
[/i][/b]

-4- For use in a class. In some classes, you can hand CDs up to the instructor who will pick some from the audience, listen and comment as part of the class. Again, you can use CDs from #1 above and put a note on it as to which track or bring a few one song CDs for this purpose. You’ll probably get these CDs back after the class unless the instructor loves your song so much they ask to take the CD. It happens once in a while.

-5- As drink coasters for your friends. :lol: :lol:

***Read all of the above as a guide to how many CDs to bring.

* Lyric Sheets and Rubber bands. In classes whereby you drop a CD for the instructor, you will be asked to include a lyric sheet, folded up, and attached by rubber band to the CD. This may also apply to mentor listening and feedback sessions.

That’s all for now… I’ll come back with edits and additions per corrections and suggestions.

:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burnzy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: What To Bring To The Rally (2022 Edition!)

Post by Burnzy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:49 am

Thanks for the tips! I would have forgot business cards. Of course! First-timer...

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:33 am

Burnzy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:49 am
Thanks for the tips! I would have forgot business cards. Of course! First-timer...
My additional suggestions (hopefully still relevant):
You'll go home with pockets full of business cards from almost everyone you meet :). The trouble is, after a few days of the whole whirlwind experience the names and faces will begin to blur and you might no longer be sure who was who, and similarly, others will start to forget you too. Therefore, I'd suggest that when someone gives you their card, write a little note about them or what you spoke about on the back of the card if it was something important or something you agreed to do. You could also write a little note on the cards you give others to help them remember you. If you're really keen you could even splash out on photo business cards.

Thursday can be a long day in the registration line, but join it anyway, make some new friends who'll keep you place while you go for lunch, etc. Don't dismiss this as a waste of time, they could be your next collaborators.

Take a phones splitter so that you can plug two sets of ear buds into your phone/player. Then you can keep control of your device and be sure that anyone who's listening to your music is hearing what you want them to hear.

The schedule of events can get complicated and there will be occasions when you wish you could be in 2 places at the same time. Arrange with your new friends to take notes for each other on the events you can't attend in person.

Its worth always wearing your name badge (and write your forum name on there too), even in the elevator, at the breakfast bar or the lunch queue. You never know who you'll bump into.

Its temping to save money and eat convenience food over the duration of the rally (eg going down the street to Subway etc). However, the 'eat and greet' lunch is not just a networking opportunity but also chance to eat something a little more nourishing at a reasonable price, so you might as well take it. Just be warned that its tough to hear what's being said at these events, so try and sit close to the guest on your table.

You might also want to take a drink container. There's usually water coolers scattered around the hotel in the daytime so you can easily top up, but they disappear in the evening so you'll go to the bar instead.

Be sure to spend time in the bar area every evening. Its the most important time to network.

After a few days you'll have spoken much more than normal and probably in a raised voice too, so be prepared for a sore throat - take some lozenges!

.....and if you want to get a good night's sleep, go easy on the free Rockstar drinks! :shock: :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:02 am

Great additional tips and info, Graham! :D

Absolutely, especially if it's your first rally, attend at least one of the Eat and Greet lunches.

A headphone splitter (and your own headphones or buds) is a GREAT idea if you are using your phone to play songs for mentors at your sessions. I think 1:1 mentors will still have CD boom boxes if CDs are easier for you. But we'll have to confirm that with Taxi. If you use a CD for that, make sure you have the track list outside the CD itself so you can quickly tell the mentor what track number/title to listen to. Update: Taxi says while there may be some CD players where the 1:1 sessions are help, they strongly recommend bringing your music on your device.

One thing I do every year to save a few bucks is pick up a bunch of cracker packs, protein bars, and the like at one of the gas station convenience stores down the street and bring those back to my room. With the in room coffee maker and that, an inexpensive breakfast in your room. Also, if you like soft drinks during the day (sodas, juices, etc.), bring back some of those as they will be significantly less expensive than at the hotel gift shop or bar. Do this during daylight hours, see below.

Although it's not an overly bad neighborhood, it's still a city and use good street smarts. Don't go wandering out alone far from the hotel, especially at night. Don't carry more cash on you outside than you really need. Don't keep a wallet in your BACK pocket when walking outside, move it to front.

Yes! The registration line and the bar are critical places for networking, mainly with peers- future friends and collaborators. I say this over and over. The most important networking you will do at the rally is with other members.

Definitely throat lozenges such as Hall's or what works for you! Every year I end up buying them at the hotel gift shop. Cheaper to BYOL. ;)

Our favorite inexpensive eateries are Subway, very close to the right when you exit the hotel, and Denny's, a long block walk to the left. The hotel restaurant is a bit pricey but the food is great so eating 1-2 dinners there may be worth it.

Wearing a dot on your badge as I mentioned on other threads, to show you are from the forum, proved helpful in previous years. Writing your forum name next to it (thanks Graham!) is a great addition. Do things on both sides of your badge as they flip all the time as you wear them.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by Casey H on Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:18 am

BTW, I'm a HIGHLY neurotic traveler who brings all of Rite Aid with me--- Tylenol, Ibuprofen, TUMS, Imodium, you name it. If you need a fix, come see me, I'm your pusher. I'm prepared for anything from a small paper cut to Bubonic Plague. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do NOT carry anything as antidote for Rock Star Energy Drink overdose. You are on your own for that. :lol: :lol:

michal
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by michal » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:11 pm

Fantastic advice for a first-timer. Thank you all!

Can't wait to meet y'all in two weeks!
Michal Sinka
Guitarist | Producer
----------------
www.michalsinka.com
www.linkedin.com/in/michalsinka

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Something I've learned from attending tons of conventions... you will end up with a lot of business cards. When you get home you might not remember who is who, what each person said, or what your follow up action items are. One thing I do at conventions is "dog ear" cards. If I get a card from someone I really want to get back with, I fold over a corner of the card before putting it in my pocket. Also, have a good pen with you so you can write notes on your card, or on the cards you receive. And if it's not to late, keep some white space on your own business card to let others write things down on them. Print cards with a material that accepts pen/pencil... it can really help.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:52 pm

I was curious about this so I asked Taxi. I wasn't sure if CD players would be available at the 1:1 mentor sessions in case people bring their music on CD to play for the mentor. They said there will be a few CD players around but they highly recommend bringing your music on your personal device.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:20 am

The only thing I bring is business cards (but I've been to a tonne of Rally's so I'm not looking to be discovered!). And one keyword of advice - put your picture on your business card. It's kind of cheesy, but it helps people remember who you are and there's a reason that real estate agents generally do it.

kanary48

Post by kanary48 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:43 pm

Fantastic advice! Funny, we've been to a bunch of Rallys, never thought to bring a headphone splitter. Great idea:) All signed up for Mentor Luncheons- One thing- we find it's always so hard to hear what's being said at our table there. Especially if you are not sitting directly near the Mentor. Any words of wisdom as far at that goes?

Thanks, Ed and Carol Nicodemi:)
Carol Nicodemi