When is it appropriate to go to the head screener?

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

When is it appropriate to go to the head screener?

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:44 pm

I really don't want to be "that guy"...but I feel that I am getting hosed by a screener on my latest submissions for the latest disco listing... I will list it here, and the tracks... etc...etc... later...
My question is WHEN is appropriate to push back on a return?? I don't want to bother CP with this nonsense....ever....but I really feel like this is warranted...Thanks in advance
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: When is it appropriate to go to the head screener?

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:01 pm

Screw it here ya go... I was totally prepared for "The horn samples suck...etc...etc... but this is nonsense IMHO.... I am pretty pissed about these to be quite honest
Not to take anything away from the folks who got forwards, I really liked the other guy' s stuff that was recently posted on here....

Tracks:
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... tch-my-bar
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... -my-gloves
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... gie-fondue

Feedbacks:
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... X0dSN8_Z9A
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... bNerhZVrUw
https://www.taxi.com/members/DVGQpc37Tk ... MplO6J0jig

LISTING:

1970s-Style DISCO INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a New Production Music Library started by an industry veteran we've know for a very long time! This is a new company, so it's a good time to get in on the ground floor and build a relationship that could last for years into the future.

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of these references we got directly from the company's CEO:

"Stayin' Alive" by Bee Gees

"Best of My Love" by The Emotions

"Car Wash" by Rose Royce

"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

NOTE: The Company would prefer to hear recently recorded Instrumental Cues, but if you have vintage recordings (recorded back in the day) in the general style of the references and other disco hits we all know and love, they would love to hear those as well!

Please submit original 1970s-Style Disco Instrumental Cues brimming with great energy and dance floor-ready grooves! Your submissions should have captivating and catchy motifs, four-on-the-floor, Disco-style rhythms, and dynamic arrangements with forward motion and interest that builds as it progresses. Disco instrumentation that's in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references will work best (piano, organ, guitar, brass, strings, drums, percussion, etc.). Please make sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and realistic-sounding.

Your submissions should be about 1.5 to 2.5 minutes long (give or take.) Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so the material you submit for this request CANNOT be signed with other publishers or catalogs. Sync fees will be split 50/50. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Saturday, February 17th, 2024. TAXI # S240217VS

TAXI # S240217VS

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am

I listened to these tracks before reading the feedback or even looking at the listing text. I thought to myself, "these are cool funk cues". With the slight exception of the last one (Boogie Fondue), I didn't get a whole lotta disco feel out of them, and even that last track was much more funk to me than disco.

The screener's comment in all of these that they are a "bit too virtual sounding" is most likely in regards to the horns, which still scream MIDI to me. They do take the time to compliment the horn lines though, so that tells me you've composed some great licks in these tracks, but they're not being delivered with real players. So, you get comments like "dig the horn section, but sounds too virtual".

You can raise these to the level of "re-screen" with the Head Screener if you feel so inclined, but my advice would just be to save these for a funk listing and move on.

~~Matt

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:09 pm

Knowing from personal exchanges - Matt VB being fine trumpet player - his comment & advice are spot on.
One 'trick' you might consider - adding at least one, or just one, LIVE player blended into your virtual sounds MAY DO THE TRICK;
if resources for WFH/getting a full horn section isn't in your budget.

I'd also recommend Paul "Yo Paulie!" Croteau, should you take that path.

Good luck, hope that helps - my 2 pennies from The Peanut Gallery (and a T.O.P. fan);
Cheers from your island neighbor.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:29 pm

Hey Bradley
I'm not good at whether or not the sounds are realistic enough but these tracks are definitely funk, not disco. Disco songs have that straight dance beat. Your tracks don't fit well with the references and the description. If I didn't know this was a disco listing, it would never have tagged the genre here as disco.

But all is not lost as they are good tracks with potential. Maybe someone here can collab with you to get those sounds better.

Hang in there!
:D Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:00 pm

Yeah not a Disco vibe for me either. Nice Funk feel though. I think some of the horns sound good but the one in testing my gloves seems weaker than the others.

Add them to your pile , when you land in a library that needs funk these will get signed and used. I think the time to go to the head screener is when a bunch of folk on the forum ( that have some legit credentials at least ) agree with you.

Not today

Mark

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:27 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am
I listened to these tracks before reading the feedback or even looking at the listing text. I thought to myself, "these are cool funk cues". With the slight exception of the last one (Boogie Fondue), I didn't get a whole lotta disco feel out of them, and even that last track was much more funk to me than disco.

The screener's comment in all of these that they are a "bit too virtual sounding" is most likely in regards to the horns, which still scream MIDI to me. They do take the time to compliment the horn lines though, so that tells me you've composed some great licks in these tracks, but they're not being delivered with real players. So, you get comments like "dig the horn section, but sounds too virtual".

You can raise these to the level of "re-screen" with the Head Screener if you feel so inclined, but my advice would just be to save these for a funk listing and move on.

~~Matt
Thanks Matt-
What is "disco" then?? To me, it is four on the floor with that open hi hat, and the octave bass lines. Otherwise it IS a form of funk...Heck, I have actually PLAYED in disco bands before! Yes, I wore the afro wig, the outfits, and did the whole shebang!
I can accept the subpar horns (still working that out..) but it seems that the recurring theme with these returns is that they are not "disco" enough.... "Watch my Bar" is the exact same vibe as Car Wash, "Testing My GLoves" is essentially "Best of My Love" revisited, and "Boogie Fondue" is my take on "Boogie Oogie Oogie" .... How are they not "disco" enough??

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:06 am

funsongs wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:09 pm
Knowing from personal exchanges - Matt VB being fine trumpet player - his comment & advice are spot on.
One 'trick' you might consider - adding at least one, or just one, LIVE player blended into your virtual sounds MAY DO THE TRICK;
if resources for WFH/getting a full horn section isn't in your budget.

I'd also recommend Paul "Yo Paulie!" Croteau, should you take that path.

Good luck, hope that helps - my 2 pennies from The Peanut Gallery (and a T.O.P. fan);
Cheers from your island neighbor.
Thanks Peter- Much appreciated!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:07 am

Casey H wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:29 pm
Hey Bradley
I'm not good at whether or not the sounds are realistic enough but these tracks are definitely funk, not disco. Disco songs have that straight dance beat. Your tracks don't fit well with the references and the description. If I didn't know this was a disco listing, it would never have tagged the genre here as disco.

But all is not lost as they are good tracks with potential. Maybe someone here can collab with you to get those sounds better.

Hang in there!
:D Casey
Thanks Casey!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:07 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:00 pm
Yeah not a Disco vibe for me either. Nice Funk feel though. I think some of the horns sound good but the one in testing my gloves seems weaker than the others.

Add them to your pile , when you land in a library that needs funk these will get signed and used. I think the time to go to the head screener is when a bunch of folk on the forum ( that have some legit credentials at least ) agree with you.

Not today

Mark
Thanks Mark!