When it Snows in Blacksburg

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dasvon

When it Snows in Blacksburg

Post by dasvon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:24 am

Put this one out and getting mixed reviews. Folk style about 72 bpm but just interested if it gets a meaning across or does one get lost after a bit. Most common critique is that the name Blacksburg makes it too spedific, but "When it Snows in April" or such just leaves it feeling listless for me.Obvious about the Va Tech matter, but wrote it to stand on it's own as well, as a simple love died/love lost song.demo mp3 on myspace site (only one song)www.myspace.com/davidvonderburg© 2007 David VonderBurg All rights reserved(verse 1)The wind is cold and howling through the treesIt’s dropped down, they say, to 32 degreesas the skies come falling downand my hope begins to fray........What should I donow that you`ve gone away(verse 2)We`d talked for days about everything.The time flew by it was the early part of Spring;Soon I knew we’d have to leave, but I never wanted this....(chorus).....What should I donow that you`ve gone away?How should I feelto know I`m here and I can’t hold you anymore? this door was closed too soonthis empty roomstill whispers your name.......So I`ll remember you.......When It Snows in Blacksburg(verse 3)Your smile was warmyour laugh would stop the rainnow my heart is tornwith so much fear and painI will try to find the faithbut my soul won`t be the same(chorus)What should I donow that you`ve gone awayHow should I feelto know I`m here and I can’t hold you anymore this door was closed too soonthis empty roomstill whispers your name.......So I`ll remember you.......When It Snows in Blacksburg(bridge)Our souls are tested by the troubles in our liveswe lose the bestwithout a reason or a rhymeI`ll try to make it through and keep the memories..........of all the gifts from you..........I hold inside of me(chorus)What should I donow that you`ve gone awayHow should I feelto know I`m here and I can’t hold you anymore this door was closed too soonthis empty roomstill calls out your name.......So I`ll remember you.......When it snows in Blacksburg

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Re: When it Snows in Blacksburg

Post by lwj001 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:26 am

Hello dasvon. The song is excellent. I agree that Blacksburg should be in the title. However, I had to look it up to find out that Blacksburg is in Virginia. Therefore, 'Virginia' should be mentioned somewhere early in the song in order for a listener to get the setting.Quote:The wind is cold and howling through the treesHow about:Quote:Virginia's wind is cold and howling through the trees?
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
BMI (Broadcast Music Inc)
WMA (Western Music Assn)
HARA (Hawai'i Academy of Recording Arts)
http://www.kingwoodkowboy.com/

dasvon

Post by dasvon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:55 pm

I see your point... I'm using the Clarksville/China Grove defense though. If it worked for them. . . . . It's like using a song with the city name of Franklin in it without mentioning a State. Or better, Main Street, got one of those everywhere..... You know you'll be liked in more than one spot that way

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lwj001 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Like, do you mean Abilene, Texas or Abilene, Kansas?Or Pasadena, California or Pasadena, Texas?Actually, we call it Stinkadena (by all the refineries along the Houston Ship Channel).
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
BMI (Broadcast Music Inc)
WMA (Western Music Assn)
HARA (Hawai'i Academy of Recording Arts)
http://www.kingwoodkowboy.com/

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:08 am

Blacksburg works for me as a town name in a song.. Ididnt pick up the other connection