When The Rain Turns Into Snow (Stuart Cardell on vocals)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

When The Rain Turns Into Snow (Stuart Cardell on vocals)

Post by Kolstad » Sun May 20, 2012 5:29 am

One of my Christmas writes is close to the finish line.. and Stuart has been very kind to deliver vocals for this one (Thanks buddy!).
Forgive me for untimely posting a Christmas song in May, but would like to hear your thoughts on the production values..

Is this broadcast quality? What isn't? Genre? Artists with similar vibe?
Target is the tv/film mrkt.

When The Rain Turns Into Snow (feat. Stuart Cardell)
https://orcd.co/whentherainturnsintosnow
Last edited by Kolstad on Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceo of my own life

RogerG
Impressive
Impressive

Re: When The Rain Turns Into Snow (Stuart Cardell on vocals)

Post by RogerG » Sun May 20, 2012 7:52 am

Hi,

Nice job guys. I listened to this several times and my wife really liked the song and particularly the singing (way better than mine :lol:)

Genre and a la's would be pop with a blues bent a la Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father" or Clay Aiken (more poppy but I can't think of a particular song right now).

A couple of hopefully constructive comments:

You have something of a conflict with the words "gently" and "ignite". One is a soothing adjective, the other is an action adjective. "Dancing on the walls" (just to illustrate) might work better as then you'd have two action adjectives instead.

Melodically I'd like to hear the bridge go up in melody a little more. Then back down to your regular chorus until you get to "changes everything" and go back up again. That would give your song more power near the end.

There's also one particularly loud guitar squeak right before the bridge. The others are fine. I'm not one to nit pick squeaks, that's the nature of a guitar, but that one is somewhat distracting.

Drums could feel a little more human. Good drummers use lots of touch when playing ballads. Especially on their ride or hi hat.

Hope that helps and just my opinions as always. - Roger

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun May 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Very effective! Nice mood and well done. Stuart, that's an excellent vocal! Never heard you sing before.... Great!

Other than the drum comments, I think this works just fine. Maybe a tweak here and there...

Best regards,

Ern 8-) :)

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 am

I'm not a song person so much, so I don't feel like I can add anything. Really enjoyed it and I hope you guys have a lot of success with it!!! Well done!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon May 21, 2012 1:02 am

Thanks Roger, Ern & Rob,

Gotta fix that squeek, Roger, thanks! Also realize there's a need to work more on the dynamics in the song. Perhaps I can apply a little from a groove template and see how that sounds on the drums. Appreciate the ideas, Roger!

Thanks Ern, yeah Stuart is an excellent singer, as good as it gets, and an experienced pro to work with. He's added HUGE value to this project, and I hope he'll do lots more work with me in the future!

Appreciate you're chiming in, Rob! From my POW, producing songs is a lot about supporting the singer, making the vocals shine, while still making the framework hooky, the pauses interesting, and still have some idea about development. From a guitarist's perspective, a lot of that is about being disciplined and knowing what/when NOT to play. I still practice on that :-)
Ceo of my own life

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:18 am

Lol, close to the finish line in 2012, and we've done a digital release of this in 2021!

https://orcd.co/whentherainturnsintosnow

I thought it would be cool to revisit the thread and post a conclusion on the feedback here in the peer-to-peer forum. The song was out in April, and has made a few playlists, but we'll see if it can get some radio play later this season, who knows..

Thanks to all who did post!
Ceo of my own life

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 am

I have heard Stuart sing on FB, so no surprise on that count. I know i am the oldest here, so that is my excuse for not being able to listen to the song. I am not registered at any of those four accounts? Good to see names from days gone by. Just wanted to say congrats
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 am

feaker66 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:07 am
I have heard Stuart sing on FB, so no surprise on that count. I know i am the oldest here, so that is my excuse for not being able to listen to the song. I am not registered at any of those four accounts? Good to see names from days gone by. Just wanted to say congrats
Thanks man, yeah Stuart is a pro singer. It's also on Youtube where you can listen for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqP0SYExk4&list=OLAK5uy_lCyk4JcxvJXZQzPT3nfXzJyaIL5PB4kOY
Ceo of my own life

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 pm

I really liked the vocal timbre and delivery and the songwriting in general! Some nice melodies. Well done on that!

I think the mix could benefit from the high end opening up a little bit (not too much as you don't want to kill the warm feeling the song gives) but this could be just a matter of personal taste too.

Again great job!

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:35 am

Thank for that link. I knew he was good, but not THAT good :) Lots of real believable feeling in that vocal. Loved the intro guitar. I was just wondering on maybe a slight EQ nudge on the vocal. I think there still could be a slight narrow cut in the 200 ish range. The vox, to me, isn't quite clean enough especially with this type of track? Excited for you two. I think this might do very well?
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613