WHERE DO YOU BEGIN

Got a gig? Looking to Gig? Post it up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Raquelpop

WHERE DO YOU BEGIN

Post by Raquelpop » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Gigging is something that I would like to start doing soon. I just had my debut digital release, and have looked into local spots and basically it seems like in order to be considered for a gig you have to submit footage of a performance. So, how do you get started. I was thinking of doing open mic's and filming them. ..Using that footage to submit to venues. I don't wanna do the pay to play crap cause it seems like usually those are hosted by shady promoters. So for those of you that are seasoned giggers, how did you get started. Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom. Note: i'm a singer/songwriter but not an instrumentalist so coffee-shop type venues are not my jam. I have performance tracks that I can sing to. I do pop music.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: WHERE DO YOU BEGIN

Post by mojobone » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Ah, the age old questions, have you ever been experienced, and how do you get there? The answers are simple, but not easy. Open mics are a great way to start, and especially if you can capture a great performance for later Youtube distribution, but why not start at home, if you have a camera already? Unless you're a blue-ribbon ham, you might perform better without the distraction of an audience. You can hone those stage chops ahead of time and with a little investment you can control the sound, visuals and lighting and maybe edit together a number of clips to have better impact than a static single-camera performance. Also, you can get feedback on your visual performance before exposing yourself in public. If you're not an accomplished self-accompanist, the best thing you can do is join (or form) a band. It's not an easy thing to learn how to command a stage, so you'd best get started right away.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: WHERE DO YOU BEGIN

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:24 am

Hi Raquel, Gigging is something that many of us can't not do. We're hooked on it, despite all the hard work for little money, because the excitement, adrenaline, (maybe attention?) of live interaction (with other musicians as well as the audience) and performance is somewhat of an addiction. In the good old days (and remember, I went to school on a dinosaur) there was no way on the planet you could release anything without having some good musicians around you and a wealth of gigging experience before anyone would have the confidence to stump up the funding for you to record your songs. Maybe that natural filter was a good thing, although it probably stopped a lot of talented folk getting through too. Today, its all a bit 'cart before the horse' :lol: 'cos you can be a virtual star having never stepped out of your own bedroom. Crazy!

Anyway, if you're serious about live performance then don't rule out anything. You might have to play for nothing, or even pay to play, but its all good experience in the first instance. If your release were to take off in a big way, you'd miss a fantastic opportunity to 'cash-in' on it by not being ready. So, I'd say get yourself off to open mic nights, post ads in your local paper (or Facebook or whatever), find like-minded musos who might be interested in joining you on your journey, be prepared to kiss a lotta frogs, take the rough with the smooth, do what you have to in order to get any gigs you can (old folks homes, funerals, etc ;) ) just for the sake of getting out there. Once you start finding your way with a reliable line-up you can be more selective. It'll also give you great feedback on which songs work best for you (as well as some material for new songs). Its all invaluable stuff.........and you never know, you might just get hooked on it too! :)

Best of luck to you on that journey, but above all else, throw yourself in the deep end and have fun!
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.