Where have the instrumental listings gone?

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Where have the instrumental listings gone?

Post by remmet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:30 am

I noticed that there have been very few if any listings for dramatic instrumentals in quite some time. All the recent listings seem to be for pop songs of one variety or another. I wonder if this is a phase, or if it's a trend.Richard(who mainly writes instrumentals)

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Where have the instrumental listings gone?

Post by ragani » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:26 am

Hi Richard,I've noticed that the music industry (and requests therein) do slow down a little the last two months of the year and even in January, but I'm betting that we'll start to see a good number of them as the year gets rolling. Hang in there! Lots of folks around here do instrumentals, so you're in good company! Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:15 am

Jan 10, 2009, 2:30am, remmet wrote:I noticed that there have been very few if any listings for dramatic instrumentals in quite some time. All the recent listings seem to be for pop songs of one variety or another. I wonder if this is a phase, or if it's a trend.Richard(who mainly writes instrumentals)As Raags said, things slow down a bit this time of year, but still, I have 5 instrumental listings on my to-do list right now, and submitted to another that was due Monday (modern classical/orchestral). Keepin' me busy.high tension/suspense - variety of styles (Jan 14th)hybrid electro-orchestral - mid/uptempo (Jan 19th)dramatic/epic soundtrack - sweeping, lush, compelling motifs (Jan 23rd)dramatic instrumentals - compelling/dynamic, engaging (Jan 28th)happy/upbeat/fun - spare, clever - variety of styles (Feb 6th)~H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:41 am

Jan 10, 2009, 10:15am, hummingbird wrote:As Raags said, things slow down a bit this time of year, but still, I have 5 instrumental listings on my to-do list right now, and submitted to another that was due Monday (modern classical/orchestral). Keepin' me busy.high tension/suspense - variety of styles (Jan 14th)hybrid electro-orchestral - mid/uptempo (Jan 19th)dramatic/epic soundtrack - sweeping, lush, compelling motifs (Jan 23rd)dramatic instrumentals - compelling/dynamic, engaging (Jan 28th)happy/upbeat/fun - spare, clever - variety of styles (Feb 6th)~HHi Raags and Vikki. I'm also submitting to most of the listings shown above, often working til 3 or 4am on them, so it's not like I don't have enough to do. I was specifically referring to the lack of DISPATCH instrumental listings. I don't recall seeing these listings - or any other recent instrumental listings - in Dispatch. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Richard

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 am

Jan 10, 2009, 10:41am, remmet wrote:Jan 10, 2009, 10:15am, hummingbird wrote:As Raags said, things slow down a bit this time of year, but still, I have 5 instrumental listings on my to-do list right now, and submitted to another that was due Monday (modern classical/orchestral). Keepin' me busy.high tension/suspense - variety of styles (Jan 14th)hybrid electro-orchestral - mid/uptempo (Jan 19th)dramatic/epic soundtrack - sweeping, lush, compelling motifs (Jan 23rd)dramatic instrumentals - compelling/dynamic, engaging (Jan 28th)happy/upbeat/fun - spare, clever - variety of styles (Feb 6th)~HHi Raags and Vikki. I'm also submitting to most of the listings shown above, often working til 3 or 4am on them, so it's not like I don't have enough to do. I was specifically referring to the lack of DISPATCH instrumental listings. I don't recall seeing these listings - or any other recent instrumental listings - in Dispatch. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Richardah.... that's a different kettle of fish
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

devin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by devin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 am

I'm no expert, but I have a few thoughts as I've been tracking the dispatch vs regular listings thing:- Dispatch might be more for "immediate need" stuff for projects that are happening right now. If the industry slows down a bit this time of the year, then the last minute requests would slow down. Dispatch goes up when folks are actively sync'ing music. (ya..."like duh Devin"...that's rocket science...but it sets up my next point):- A standard listing might be for libraries looking to "build up" their catalog of on-hand material, so the request may not be tied to immediate needs as much as to the long term trends. In this case, standard listings would come out "whenever", and possibly at least a few months before the peak demands are anticipated (if the music market is predictable...this might not be possible). I submitted to a bunch of regular listings for sports, and I'm watching for a follow-on burst of sports dispatch listings to follow.Just my incoherent, uneducated rationalizations on a Tuesday....are you getting good results with the "dispatch" option? So far I haven't been creating what they look for, so I haven't been submitting there.
Earplugs may be required for anyone over the age of cool.

remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by remmet » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:05 am

When I first signed up for Dispatch several months ago, the instrumental listings seemed to show up on a fairly regular basis. But in the past couple of months, there have been almost no instrumental listings. Since I signed up for Dispatch primarily for the instrumental listings, I have to ask myself whether the cost of the service is worth it for me. I'll wait another couple of months, see what happens, and then make a decision about continuing or dropping the service.Richard

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am

My experience has been that instrumentals are rarely the focus of Dispatch listings. They might get tossed into the listing as an after-thought, and forwarded on occasion; but those times are truly the exception, not the rule.But then again, I have such a limited catalog of pitch-able tunes (and no way of creating/recording at home), meaning Dispatch is simply not financially viable, and I haven't been watching the listings like I used to.Also nothing more than my $.02
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

rikijava

Post by rikijava » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:40 pm

How long do topics sit in this forum? These postings are talking about something 4 months ago!!

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Apr 10, 2009, 6:40pm, rikijava wrote:How long do topics sit in this forum? These postings are talking about something 4 months ago!!Wow... your first 3 posts are all about not liking Taxi so much.. Bummer. Will you be in a better mood tomorrow?