Where your song ideas come from

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Where your song ideas come from

Post by milfus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:30 am

Not as in the mechanics of them, just the core concepts that you turn into a song.Me, personally, I happen to stumble into mine during conversations (which isnt as frequent as I would like)
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

anne
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Where your song ideas come from

Post by anne » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:09 am

Mine usually come when I'm doing something mindless that I don't mind doing , like housecleaning or cutting the grass. Also, I tend to get ideas when I'm holding my friend's baby trying to get her to sleep - it seems to be during the times I actually shut up that the thoughts come in!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:37 am

Quote:Not as in the mechanics of them, just the core concepts that you turn into a song.Me, personally, I happen to stumble into mine during conversations (which isnt as frequent as I would like)For me the answer is… EVERYWHERE. Over the years I have conditioned myself to always be in “writing” mode. I don’t even have to think about it much anymore – everything in my environment is kind of naturally scanned for potential song ideas, phrases, etc. For instance, the fuel indicator display in my car flashed “0 miles to empty”… and I thought, “wow – that might be a cool song idea” before thinking “wow, I’m about to run out of gas”.Aub

dayson1
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dayson1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:44 am

I just got one from watching the news, and just finished the first draft. It came that fast and I am really excited about it:))-Dana
Dana

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I would say that a lot of my ideas come from two places. First, watching TV and thinking of a storyline or approach. The second is from fishing with Capt. Murphy....ArkJack

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:11 pm

They come from my Phrase Junkyard. I always carry around paper so that I can write down ideas that come. Later I transfer them officially to the phrase junkyard. I have kept a junkyard for years but not many songs ever came from it. For some reason things changed and the last four songs I have written were junkyard babies.

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Anywhere and everywhere. Just depends on the moment. But I, too, try to keep a little notebook with me at all times to scribble down the sparks that might light my fire later. Granted, many of them turn out to be major DUDS when I go back to re-read them, but some of them are STILL in my song queue...
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Mainly from personal experiences, all too often the sad ones stimulate the writing. 90% of my songs are at least based on real life experiences even if artistic license took over while writing. I do need to branch out in order to become a more prolific writer.My cell phone has a built in voice recorder so whenever an idea, a phrase, a rhyme, whatever pops into my head, I record it.Maybe I'll start writing about the forum and the people here. Be nice to me or I'll say bad things about you in my songs...

spindrift

Post by spindrift » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:02 pm

I get my best lyrical ideas while listening to songs I really like. My words have NOTHING to do with the words of the song I am hearing, so it's like someone is talking to me and I am talking to myself or someone else. Somebody once told me it was because the song I'm hearing stimulates the "song part" of my brain to go into action. What will happen if I hear gunfire?Fortunately my wife hasn't noticed yet, and I seem reasonably sane. Mark

twilsbach
Impressive
Impressive

Post by twilsbach » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 am

Quote:my car flashed “0 miles to empty”… and I thought, “wow – that might be a cool song idea” before thinking “wow, I’m about to run out of gas”.AubThats funny, and pretty much how I operate too.Pat Pattison's Writing Better Lyrics recommends writing for ten minutes every morning as soon as you wake up. Wake up the muse and she'll be alert for random inspiration throughout the day