with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

byllsong
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Which recording software?

Post by byllsong » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 am

Hi guys,
First of all I want to thank everyone who helped me with my queries over the past several days.
I've been using my Korg Kross as a controller with Cakewalk Music Creator 7.
I got this MC7 years ago but never used it.
I am learning that MC7 won't do.
I need a program that will give me decent piano sounds.
I will be mainly laying down a bed of Piano, Bass and various drums and percussions.
I've been reading a lot, but it's difficult to make a proper choice so early in the game.
So...my question...what software should I be looking at?
Thanks again.
Billy

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Which recording software?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am

Billy

They are all capable. The 'best' piano sounds probably won't come as part of the package so budget for piano too. There are many , with all sorts different characters.

You could opt to stay within the Cakewalk family if you're used to it and go with Sonar.

If you are on a budget Reaper is a great option. .you're spoilt for choice. You'll find advocates for all the major DAWs on these forums.

My advice is to test drive a few demos and see what floats your boat. There are DAW out there for everyone.

Mark

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am

Ditto what Mark said!!

https://www.reaper.fm/

You can't go wrong with Reaper. They give you a very generous 60 day trial, and it's only $60, and it's a full daw, and has a ton of excellent tutorial videos on their website. Download it and watch the videos! It's a no brainer if you want a full capability daw, starting from scratch with money left to purchase piano sounds, etc. It's silly to spend $500 on a daw at this stage when there are so many better things to spend money on.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

fuzzbox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by fuzzbox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:50 pm

I would do some research first. Start as you mean to go on... There are plenty of tutorials and free downloads of various DAWs.
For me changing DAWs would be a real pain and would slow me down. Commit to one and stick with it and learn it to advanced level. :ugeek: There's bound to be a little down-time while you're learning but it will pay dividends in the near future. There's always a compromise. 8-)

Good luck!
ImageImage

All You Need Is Ears - Sir George Martin
The music is not in the notes, but in the silence betweenWolfgang Amadeus Mozart