Who Do You Know track mix

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Who Do You Know track mix

Post by lesmac » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 am

Hi folks, got a track that I'd like any feedback on.
It's not for a listing and it will have a topline I'm in the process of writing.
I'm going for a Mowtownish feel.
Any suggestions are welcome on where it could go, snare hits?, mix levels etc, etc
Thanks in advance for the ears.

https://soundcloud.com/lesmac-1/who-do-you-know-track
Last edited by lesmac on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Oatleybake
Active
Active

Re: Who Do You Know track mix

Post by Oatleybake » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:20 am

Hi Lester, like the guitar work and groove but feel the drums are letting it down a little. Sounding a bit stiff and when the drums get more complex after the half minute mark it's not sitting in the pocket.
Have you considered a percussion pad or similar rather than programmed beats?

Good luck with this one, the tune's worth developing IMO.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:19 pm

by Oatleybake » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:20 pm
Hi Lester, like the guitar work and groove but feel the drums are letting it down a little. Sounding a bit stiff and when the drums get more complex after the half minute mark it's not sitting in the pocket.
Have you considered a percussion pad or similar rather than programmed beats?
I felt the same about the drums, letting things down. It's an area I suck in. Your pad suggestion could be a good idea.

Will have a think about it all.

If I can develop a decent song out of it I may look for a real drummer.

Thanks for your input, it was just what I was after.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:39 pm

I like the gtrs too, and agree with Oatleybake on the drums.

I got a John Legend vibe from the first 8 bars, so that coded my expectations for it. I'd hoped for a more contemporary or fresh groove (hip hop'ish a la the Roots or nu-soul - Raphael Saadiq). That kind of beat might also help bring out a nice bass line for it, imo.

So, reference wise, I'd suggest nu-soul more than Motown. That might also lead to better pitch opps down the line..
Ceo of my own life

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:10 pm

I got a John Legend vibe from the first 8 bars, so that coded my expectations for it. I'd hoped for a more contemporary or fresh groove (hip hop'ish a la the Roots or nu-soul - Raphael Saadiq). That kind of beat might also help bring out a nice bass line for it, imo.

So, reference wise, I'd suggest nu-soul more than Motown. That might also lead to better pitch opps down the line..
Thanks for the genre tips Kolstad,

Will check out the refs and see if I can lean in on a more contemporary sound. It does sound a bit sterile at the moment.

Really appreciate the ears. It's great to have a fresh perspective before too much work goes in.

LOCK88
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by LOCK88 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Hey Les, cool track man! I also love your guitar tone & playing, great work there. As is, I think you have a solid instrumental piece. A few things I would consider: your guitar panned left is your lead. At the 3 min mark, I think you center that up. For the instrumental version, I would consider putting that up front and dead center from the start, acting like a lead vocal. Showcase the great tone & performance. The other guitar you have panned hard right. Try putting that hard left as well, creating a nice stereo blanket for your center guitar.

If you are thinking Motown, my 1st thought is a groovy bass line & solid kick. Get crazy funky on the new bass line, and get that bottom end rocking. Let everything else fill in the holes...JMHO, HTH
Robb Smith / LOCK-88
Songwriter | Producer
Los Angeles, Ca
http://www.Lock88Music.com

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Unread postby LOCK88 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 pm
Hey Les, cool track man! I also love your guitar tone & playing, great work there. As is, I think you have a solid instrumental piece. A few things I would consider: your guitar panned left is your lead. At the 3 min mark, I think you center that up. For the instrumental version, I would consider putting that up front and dead center from the start, acting like a lead vocal. Showcase the great tone & performance. The other guitar you have panned hard right. Try putting that hard left as well, creating a nice stereo blanket for your center guitar.

If you are thinking Motown, my 1st thought is a groovy bass line & solid kick. Get crazy funky on the new bass line, and get that bottom end rocking. Let everything else fill in the holes...JMHO, HTH
Thanks for the good words on the guitar work Rob. Will take that on board about the instrumental version panning.

I did a little bit of editing tightening up the bass, rhythm guitar and drums. I'd like to see if I can get a better groove with what I have before I bring in a percussion loop and maybe a better bass sound.

Will be out of the studio for a few weeks so will look forward to coming back to this one.

I started mucking around with a Lorde song that they put some stems up for download and got distracted from this one.

Here's a link to the stems if anyone's keen.

https://www.triplejunearthed.com/compet ... orde-remix

SteveJCurtis
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by SteveJCurtis » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 am

Hi again Les. Definitely some great constructive comments here and a track worth developing. Just wanted to say, I love that (presumably a) Strat sound.
Cheers.

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 am

Hey Les,

Solid song structure. As others have said, change the drums. When compared to the guitar they aren't in the same ballpark! Also, the guitar in the right channel (or is that synth), needs to be a tighter sound in my opinion as it's driving my attention from the rest of the song. The part is good, just change the voicing if possible. I'd also dirty up the bass a bit - send it to some distortion.

John

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 am

The organ is competing too much with the guitar, they're both too close in the same register. Panning the organ far to one side might fix it, don't know.

I think the snare might be a little too bright for Motown. I'd compare more and try several different snare samples.