Who owns/gets what? Writer/publisher share, collabs, work-for-hire, loops...

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Who owns/gets what? Writer/publisher share, collabs, work-for-hire, loops...

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm
hummingbird wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 am
See my post above. I wasn't asked to 'give back' any rights at the time because the composer felt I had contributed to the composition as a whole and that my part of the composition couldn't be separated.

Would the composer have composed that instrumental without the inspiration of my words?
Hi, Vikki. Sorry I did not see your detailed post. I assumed you would get 50% of the writer's share, but did not know. I'd think (having never entered into one) that any collab arrangement depends on the good will and graces of each party involved. A different composer may have felt more possessive?
Possibly. I was pretty new to the whole thing back then, and had the wonderful luck of meeting Taxi members who are generous, kind, knowledgeable and very accomplished. I learned a lot from them then and I continue to learn from members now. Were I to run across a potential 'possessive' collaborator, I would have to assess each case on their merits, but, unless each person is working in a darkened room separate from each other with no interplay or discussion, both are contributing and no one can really weigh what is 'more important' or what could have been achieved without the thoughts and creativity and cooperation of the other. Philosphically, I prefer equal shares to nitpicking who did what and would be more inclined to politely bow out.

H

PS - Interestingly, I believe the law says, in the absence of an agreement between collaborators, they each get an equal share.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Who owns/gets what? Writer/publisher share, collabs, work-for-hire, loops...

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:02 pm

jaywilliams wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:07 am

On a slightly related tangent, when we self-publish our tracks and register them with the PRO, we have to allocate 200% for each track (100% writing and 100% publishing). It makes for some interesting math.
That's dependent on which PRO you are with...think it's only BMI that do it like that . PRS for example the whole pie is 100% not 200%

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:04 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 am
Thanks for your post - makes sense to me!
The best way it just to share everything equally between all collaborators or pay someone as a WFH..Simple.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:20 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:04 pm
CTWF wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 am
Thanks for your post - makes sense to me!
The best way it just to share everything equally between all collaborators or pay someone as a WFH..Simple.
+1
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website