Re: Why a Music Library Might REGRET They Signed You

Post by superblonde » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am

boinkeee2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:47 pm
this is a competitive biz and sometimes
Paulie wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm
If you are fortunate enough to EARN the chance to work with
these two replies demonstrate again the root of the problem.

gig workers have no negotiation power in this commodified business, and yet composers continue to give away more and more power in order to scrape for work while taking on more and more responsibility of delivering the work. meanwhile the musicians are giving up 50% of their property in perpetuity across the known and unknown universe to the publisher, who continues to reduce the amount of work they do, and push more of the work on the musicians. and yet members here continually display this attitude to give up position in order to land any placement at any chance, rather than push back at all. Where has ML ever shown a response to a library owner where ML tells them, "How about you get your systems in place before complaining about my members, because your systems are amateur-level junk and my members deserve more" ? how about the library owner do their job? the example given in the episode is the publisher complaining they have to fix metadata of BPM's in tracks to round it off because the delivered BPM is not a whole number, "oh this takes so much time", and members accept this as a legitimate complaint? In truth the publisher is playing amateur-hour and rounding off BPM numbers in metadata, when and where necessary, should take no time at all since it should be an automatic process in their file acceptance, or any number of other file-processing tasks, including renaming, retitling, description padding, etc etc. These are literally tasks that PUBLISHERS are supposed to be tasked with (not the composer).

and Paulie, the attitude of your reply is completely out of line and definitely unprofessional. (especially in conjunction with bragging about being abrasive). it hardly deserves a response at all except that you demonstrate the failing so obviously.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:18 pm

Actually, I think Paulie's tough love was exactly appropriate as a response to your comment. You're on the forum, you went to the rally, you watch Taxi TV, people here have bent over backwards to offer you advice to help you succeed, but you're way more intent on "fighting the system" than succeeding. Why are you even a Taxi member, if you still are?

I could refuse to show up at work every day, 9-5 instead of working at home and whatever hours I want, because the corporate world sucks that way... I'd be homeless, but I *could* do that. :shock:

boinkeee2000
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by boinkeee2000 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:26 pm

superblonde wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am
boinkeee2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:47 pm
this is a competitive biz and sometimes
Paulie wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm
If you are fortunate enough to EARN the chance to work with
these two replies demonstrate again the root of the problem.

gig workers have no negotiation power in this commodified business, and yet composers continue to give away more and more power in order to scrape for work while taking on more and more responsibility of delivering the work. meanwhile the musicians are giving up 50% of their property in perpetuity across the known and unknown universe to the publisher, who continues to reduce the amount of work they do, and push more of the work on the musicians. and yet members here continually display this attitude to give up position in order to land any placement at any chance, rather than push back at all. Where has ML ever shown a response to a library owner where ML tells them, "How about you get your systems in place before complaining about my members, because your systems are amateur-level junk and my members deserve more" ? how about the library owner do their job? the example given in the episode is the publisher complaining they have to fix metadata of BPM's in tracks to round it off because the delivered BPM is not a whole number, "oh this takes so much time", and members accept this as a legitimate complaint? In truth the publisher is playing amateur-hour and rounding off BPM numbers in metadata, when and where necessary, should take no time at all since it should be an automatic process in their file acceptance, or any number of other file-processing tasks, including renaming, retitling, description padding, etc etc. These are literally tasks that PUBLISHERS are supposed to be tasked with (not the composer).

and Paulie, the attitude of your reply is completely out of line and definitely unprofessional. (especially in conjunction with bragging about being abrasive). it hardly deserves a response at all except that you demonstrate the failing so obviously.
I dont know what to say man.....you seem to be obsessed in fighting the wrong battles....

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm

superblonde wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:04 am
OK, challenge accepted. Please point out what you consider to be "out of line." Trust me, my response was extremely measured and patient. Based on your many posts in the past it really seems like you do not have the attitude or patience needed to be successful in this business. Speaking directly is something that we need more of today. Start by looking in the mirror.

And look, I totally get it. I AGREE with you that too many musicians are willing to give up more rights in order for their shot at attention, fame, whatever. I agree that giving up writers share in perpetuity is not cool. But we all have choices and can refuse those deals. Sadly, the whole "Fiverr" concept has been destroying the arts for many years, and our own human vanity makes it incredibly easy for libraries to find composers willing to give up the milk for free, per se. However, none of this has anything to do with being a professional and FOLLOWING CLIENT INSTRUCTIONS when submitting music to them. If someone is unwilling to do that very basic thing, that person needs to find another way of making money.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:57 pm

Paulie wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm
it really seems like you do not have the attitude or patience needed to be successful in this business.
Or any other. The music business is a BUSINESS like most others in the world.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:19 am

If I get an offer from a Music Library I consider it my job to reply to them within 24 hours. If I receive a contract I consider it my job to complete the contract and return it to them within 24 hours.

If I've signed an agreement with a Music Library, I consider it my job to read their submission / upload instructions and follow them to the letter for those initially accepted tracks.

Once I am signed to a library, I consider it my job to ensure that I follow their submission / upload instructions for any additional tracks I sign.

When I am composing, when I complete a track, I make sure to render the master track and any alt mixes as aiff, wav and/or mp3 according to the technical requirements of the destination library, or in the formats most often requested if not bespoke.

I also consider it my job to note the BPM, key, instrumentation, genre, sub-genre, emotion & mood for each composition.

If I am not willing to do the above, I should not expect to be considered a professional composer.
Last edited by hummingbird on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:58 am

hummingbird wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:19 am
If I get an offer from a Music Library I consider it my job to reply to them within 24 hours. If I receive a contract I consider it my job to complete the contract and return it to them within 24 hours.

If I've signed an agreement with a Music Library, I consider it my job to read their submission / upload instructions and follow them to the letter for those initially accepted tracks.

Once I am signed to a library, I consider it my job to ensure that I follow their submission / upload instructions for any additional tracks I sign.

When I am composing, when I complete a track, I make sure to render the master track and any alt mixes as aiff, wav and/or mp3 according to the technical requirements of the destination library, or in the formats most often requested if not bespoke.

I also consider it my job to note the BPM, instrumentation, genre, sub-genre, emotion & mood for each composition.

If I am not willing to do the above, I should not expect to be considered a professional composer.
We're all preaching to the choir. :shock: But it's still good for everyone to read how important following specs and being a professional is. I write software for a living. when I deliver code, I make sure there are good comments in the source and there is a comment block that lists version numbers and what was changed in that version. This helps me, the client if they get the source, and future programmers who may have to maintain it. Hmmmm.... It never occurs to me to deliver source code without good comments and think, "The client should have systems in place to understand the code with out my explaining it!".

PaulyB
Active
Active

Post by PaulyB » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:17 am

....These are literally tasks that PUBLISHERS are supposed to be tasked with (not the composer).....
I understand where you're coming from superblonde. And maybe Libraries should take more of this on. And the "pile-on" of more tasks for composers can feel exhausting. But that's the reality....for right now.

I'm new to Taxi but have been doing Music for Sync for some time now. The ebb-and-flow of what is required to successfully do Music for Sync (and also gigging) is really interesting and is a gift. Because it keeps us on our toes and prevents us from getting complacent. And if you've been at this awhile, no doubt you've experienced this as well. And then you adapted.

Of course, the decisions individual composers make (giving up half of writer's share, doing buy-outs for a couple of hundred dollars per cue, or turning down cheap buy-outs, etc.) and the demands of the marketplace will continue to influence this profession we have chosen.

We can expect things will change. They're changing now.

Best - Paul

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:14 am

PaulyB wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:17 am
I understand where you're coming from superblonde. And maybe Libraries should take more of this on.
Disagree. And how would they take on the problem of composers not following directions? They can't fix lazy, inconsiderate, etc. This whole idea of pinning any of this on the libraries is beyond ridiculous. Would you hire a carpenter who didn't know a nail from a screw? Well, I wouldn't hire a composer who didn't know 44.1K from 48K, wav from mp3. etc. To be clear, there is no shame in not knowing something, only in not asking- just not asking the library... Ask on the forum(s), ask other composers, read books, watch videos, Google, etc.

Also, there is a tendency here to trivialize how much work and expense a library takes on. It is an incredibly time consuming and expensive endeavor. How do you think they place your songs? By laying on the couch eating bon bons all day? It's hours and hours of catalog administration, building relationships, curating, pitching, reviewing submissions, and much more. Trust me, it's worth that 50% to let them deal with all that and concentrate on your music. Quite a few former Taxi members now have successful libraries and see it from the other side. Ask any of them.

Casey

PaulyB
Active
Active

Post by PaulyB » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Disagree. And how would they take on the problem of composers not following directions?
I didn't convey things as clearly as I could have. I'm confident it's why I write instrumental music and not lyrics.

The libraries have a huge task and deserve 50%. And it's the composer's responsibility to fulfill what is required. And what is required is going to change and to participate we have to keep adapting.

My experience was when I started, the composer delivered the cues and the alt mixes and the libraries did the cut-downs and didn't ask for stems. Of course we (I did, and you and others did) delivered those cues meeting the specs required. Hey, library A wants the main cue and the alt mixes 48/24 AIFF. And Library B wants 48/16 WAV. No Problem. Then some time passes and some libraries began asking for cut-downs. Again, no problem. You learn how to do those. No heroics here - it's what is required.

Looking to possibly help superblonde move on (by addressing it's going to change again anyway) was the intent of my post.
Last edited by PaulyB on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.