Why a Music Library Might REGRET They Signed You

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TAXILIZ
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Why a Music Library Might REGRET They Signed You

Post by TAXILIZ » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:35 pm

This Will Make a Music Library Regret They Signed You!

Click the link below to watch live Monday at 4 pm Pacific!

https://studio.youtube.com/video/O5g42rea7uI/edit?o=U

7 pm Eastern (EST) / 6 pm Central (CST) / 4 pm Pacific (PST) 12 am London (GMT) / 11 am Sydney (AEDT)

Dear Songwriters, Artists, and Composers,

If you think having great music gets you a “pass” from getting the business aspects of sync 100% right, you’re 100% wrong!

Here’s proof in the form of an email TAXI recently got from a new client when we reached out to ask if they needed us to run any new searches for them…

Date: Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: Happy New Year!
To: Tom @TAXI

Happy New Year to you too, Tom.

I'll let you know [about running new listings with TAXI]! I took a lot of [TAXI] people on for the XXXXX tracks. The problem with taking new people on is the ones who aren't regular library composers deliver frequently incorrectly.

For example, the wrong levels, versions not correct, or technical errors. If it's one person, it's not the end of the world, but I spent a huge amount of time holding the hands of most of the composers to get things to the point of delivery.

The creative quality was unquestionable, but it's frustrating having to send things back so many times when things are set out clearly in my delivery guidelines. I guess this is the difference between those who do this as a living full-time and those who do it in their spare time.

Not your fault, but it was kinda my fault that I took so many people on - I took tracks from 17 people you put forward! That was a huge amount of micromanaging!

I think I probably need to be more careful about taking too many people on at the same time - especially those who are new to the business, or less experienced. Even if the final product is brilliant!

The album is still waiting on people to deliver their corrections!

Absolutely not your fault here, but I just wanted to let you know what the issues of taking new blood are from my perspective. It is hugely time consuming, basically! I'll be in touch when there is a project I can involve you on.

Cheers,

XXXXXXX

I personally wrote to apologize for the time suck our members caused him. I also asked if I could re-print his email. He was gracious in his response, but included this in his email:
“I just had a composer finally address all the technical issues, only to deliver as 44.1 and not 48, so they need to be resent all over again. The problem is, no matter what anyone says, any new deliverable needs to be quality controlled [by us] - even if someone claims nothing has changed.

It all adds up in terms of time spent. It is a major reason why I won't work with people now. Check, check, and check again! Make a checklist - I don't care how you do it, but make sure it is all correct!”
I want to discuss this serious issue on today’s TAXI TV, and get your input as to how we can most effectively get our members to understand that creating great music isn’t enough to become successful in the world of sync. You’ve got to make sure your hands don’t need to be “held” by the companies that want to work with you.

Make it easy and pleasurable for them to do business with you!

Please don’t miss this episode of TAXI TV today. I really want your input!

Click the link below to watch LIVE Monday at 4 PM Pacific!

https://studio.youtube.com/video/O5g42rea7uI/edit?o=U

To Join the Live Chat and Ask Questions During the Broadcast…

You’ll need to be signed up to YouTube (FREE) and be logged in to be able to join in on the chat during the show. Go to youtube.com and click the "Sign In" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page and fill out the short form to join. If you have a Gmail account, you’ll be able to link your YouTube account with it!

7 pm Eastern (EST) / 6 pm Central (CST) / 4 pm Pacific (PST) 12 am London (GMT) / 11 am Sydney (AEDT)

Join us Monday on the show,

Michael and the TAXI TV Team

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Why a Music Library Might REGRET They Signed You

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:14 am

Michael
Thanks for sharing. It's very upsetting because I know how hard Taxi works to get new clients/listings and this type of thing erases all that hard work, hurting Taxi and all their other members. I remember one client of yours whose listings say they will only take submissions from experienced composers. You certainly can see why now. So tough because what Taxi aims to do is connect members (many new ones) with the library world.

Hang in there. I hope lots of folks read this thread and watch the Taxi TV. I can't recall if there was a class focusing on track delivery at the rally (still caffeinating here), but a ballroom(?) session about all that stuff-- LUFS, 44.1K, 48K, 24 bit, 16 bit, mp3 bit rates such as 192K, 320K, track naming, etc. would be valuable. Apologies again if this was already covered at the rally, my brain's not awake yet.

Best,
:D Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 am

This is pretty damaging and a real shame, not just for the person involved, the library, and Taxi, but for the whole of the community that rely on libraries coming back to Taxi to seek new material and new writers. I can easily imagine how it happens though when there's more enthusiasm than knowledge and experience (not a criticism - we all started there and didn't know what we didn't know :)).

There's a TON of invaluable information on every aspect of the business on Taxi TV, so thank you for all of that. I still think there's a gap though for a set of very basic but succinct and easy to digest business capability checklists or even videos on minimum expectations from members (beyond the music), and that it should be required reading for those who join or who are thinking about it. Essentially, it would cover everything you need to be capable of if you are serious about participating, and if you don't know this stuff then some suggested resources to help.

I'd certainly agree with Casey's suggestion for more on the IT side of things, but perhaps expand that to a journey through a possible chain of events, beginning with submission (file type, level, quality, co-writers and contributor permissions, WFH, PRO membership, etc), passing through getting forwarded, library contact, library etiquette, typical library deliverables (full mix, alt mixes, stems, cut-downs, stings, metadata) common delivery methods (email, Dropbox, bespoke interface, etc), typical contracts (even though that can be a minefield), PRO registration (when you should and shouldn't register), what happens when your music is placed (domestic and international), right through to how you might (or might not) get paid, by whom and when, and also keeping records of agreements, contracts, submissions, signings, placements and payments.

That's a lot of material, and I appreciate that every last part of it has been covered at some time on Taxi TV, but if there were some magically condensed versions that summed up the absolute basics I believe there would be more chance of helping everyone to get up the required level of comprehension and capability, or at least understanding where their knowledge gaps are so they can seek help.

Another suggestion would be to curate the Taxi TV episodes into topics covered, so that those seeking more detailed help in certain areas could quickly find what they need. Please excuse me if these things have already been done or considered though. Just trying to help :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 am

That's a lot of material, and I appreciate that every last part of it has been covered at some time on Taxi TV, but if there were some magically condensed versions that summed up the absolute basics I believe there would be more chance of helping everyone to get up the required level of comprehension and capability, or at least understanding where their knowledge gaps are so they can seek help.
Someone should write a book.... :o

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm
You might be correct, but would those who are making the mistakes read it first though? The information is already out there in book and video form so how come it still happens?

I don't think any of us wanted to get into sync because we love file formats, alts and admin, but sadly that's all a vital part of it even though its far less fun than making music. I just reckon that some sort of easily digestible 'heads up' to let people know what they're in for would help, be it a checklist, book, video or whatever. Like many things in life, its only difficult when you don't know, but expecting everyone else will hold you hand or do it for you just won't work.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:47 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 am
I don't think any of us wanted to get into sync because we love file formats, alts and admin
Speak for yourself Graham :lol:

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:06 am

Imagine how the design carpenters feel at Ikea
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:09 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:45 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:00 pm
You might be correct, but would those who are making the mistakes read it first though? The information is already out there in book and video form so how come it still happens?
Therein lies a big part of the problem. Many people refuse to really pay attention to directions, admit and learn what they don't know, etc. If you or I got an email that said "send 48K 16 bit wav" and didn't know what it meant, we would find out before proceeding. Look at how many times people submit to Taxi listings, with something that clearly doesn't meet the well spelled out requirements, often in upper case/bold/italic. Not even talking ref tracks, just basics like "can't be signed anywhere else", "you must own and control", etc.

Maybe (half joking?) there should be an online course offered when you join Taxi and you get a membership discount for taking it. Like Driver's school (Good analogy too!). :?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:09 am
Therein lies a big part of the problem. Many people refuse to really pay attention to directions, admit and learn what they don't know, etc. If you or I got an email that said "send 48K 16 bit wav" and didn't know what it meant, we would find out before proceeding. Look at how many times people submit to Taxi listings, with something that clearly doesn't meet the well spelled out requirements, often in upper case/bold/italic. Not even talking ref tracks, just basics like "can't be signed anywhere else", "you must own and control", etc.

Maybe (half joking?) there should be an online course offered when you join Taxi and you get a membership discount for taking it. Like Driver's school (Good analogy too!). :?
I agree entirely, which is why I'm suggesting something really simple, like a checklist for new members (or even potential members) to raise awareness of what is likely to be asked of them. No, you can't force people to read a book, or follow instructions, and beyond that we all make mistakes too. However, although the information is all out there (and included in many books such Steve Barden's and Dean's) which single resource would you point people at to get a simple overview of the business and practical demands (beyond the music) on writers who want to work with professional music libraries? The amount of content even on Taxi TV is totally overwhelming, and if you don't know the questions to ask how would you know where to begin or how to navigate through it all?

Driver's school seems totally logical. London cabbies only get their license once they've completed 'the knowledge' (i.e. they know every street in London and the quickest route to get there) :).
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-p ... -of-london

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:34 am

Yup. I agree that the info out there is overwhelming, often too much at once. A course with video chapters, each reasonable short, would be cool IF you get people to take it. For example:

Lesson 1: Music File Formats - mp3, wav, aif, bit depth sample rates.
Lesson 2: Alt mixes, stems, cutdowns
Lesson 3: PROs and how you get paid
Lesson 4: Music libraries, exclusive, non-exclusive, etc.
and so on.

:D