Why Country Songwriters Should join TAXI

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Why Country Songwriters Should join TAXI

Post by claire » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 pm

for years I've already been grabbing my woman at 7 a.m. for the first 45 seconds. And yet she's still with you? (sounds like the panel was a blast, wish I could have been there)

lyricboy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lyricboy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:58 pm

We JUST walked in the door. (long drive and good to be home)WOW!I was really really excited to get to meet some cyber-buddies from the boards. That was great! I'm glad I went, for that reason alone.But we learned what was summed up well above and more (that I am sure will get discussed at length later).HAPPY to have met so many of you. Regrets that I didn't get a chance to meet EVERYONE there. Regrets that everyone couldn't bee there and hopes to meet in the future. And...Another THANK YOU to Michael for hosting/arranging/MC-ing this event for us.I'm with Andy. The panelists reassured me (us?) over and over that it IS the song that should carry the day (though there are other undeniable factors).Though this confidence did dip just a bit on the way home as I listened closely to what's on the radio.Greg

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Well finally after a year we have a country writers support group. Janet you said when you joined you were the only country writer. I cant imagine what kind of hell that was! We make each other better. Thats the way it should be. I went to a networking seminar earlier in the day yesterday. The talked about instead of everyone competing for a slice of a small pie, we have to make the pie bigger.Thats what we are doing here.M~

bucyboy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by bucyboy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:57 am

Ralph Murphy has some pages on the ASCAP web site that are very useful. For anyone who couldn't make the seminar, everything he said there can be found here: http://www.ascap.com/nashville/murphy/index.html

cameron
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cameron » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:00 am

Jun 9, 2009, 5:34pm, claire wrote:for years I've already been grabbing my woman at 7 a.m. for the first 45 seconds. And yet she's still with you? No. Why do you think I write all those downer songs?

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 am

Jun 9, 2009, 9:07pm, matthoggard wrote:We make each other better. Thats the way it should be. I went to a networking seminar earlier in the day yesterday. The talked about instead of everyone competing for a slice of a small pie, we have to make the pie bigger.Thats what we are doing here.M~Amen to that, brother.Great to meet you Matt, especially ahead of time like that. Really appreciated to phone call, too.Make sure to let me know when you're coming back into town.Well, Hell, that goes for ALL of you.
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, maybe not ALL of us.

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 am

Squids it most certainly includes you!!The week I spent in Nashville showed me that it isnt all about Country music there. I saw great singer/songwriters doing all kinds of music. I also saw one of the best blues bands Ive ever seen with a singer that was Janis Joplin reincarnate! Its the atmosphere. Its the vibe. The friendly nature of everyone I met Including several top industry people. I propose an annual gathering in Nashville for a few days. Im a member of another site and they do one every year. People from all over the country come in and spend a few days of music, fun and networking. We need to take this beyond what we see here everyday. Matt

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:17 am

Jun 11, 2009, 4:17am, matthoggard wrote:Squids it most certainly includes you!!The week I spent in Nashville showed me that it isnt all about Country music there. I saw great singer/songwriters doing all kinds of music. I also saw one of the best blues bands Ive ever seen with a singer that was Janis Joplin reincarnate! Its the atmosphere. Its the vibe. The friendly nature of everyone I met Including several top industry people. I propose an annual gathering in Nashville for a few days. Im a member of another site and they do one every year. People from all over the country come in and spend a few days of music, fun and networking. We need to take this beyond what we see here everyday. MattMatt, I totally agree here. For several years, I've been asking TAXI to do a mini-Rally in Nashville. One reason I haven't pushed it is because it would be very expensive for TAXI to hold two rallies in one year.....I don't know about the three day thing, ( costs and planning would be daunting) but if Michael could just hold a one night meeting like he did on Monday once a year, that's a good start. I think it was a great success, and I'm guessing he did as well. I really enjoyed meeting you folks (and networking too)...it was so much fun! I walked away so energized from the wonderful experience I had in Nashville.I'm very tired though...traveling took a lot out of me. And don't worry about the ciggies....PM Nita about that, she'll tell you I'm prone to sin! BTW, I owe Ms. Nita some mail...I'll answer soon. Yes, she is always invited....she almost came to this shindig, but health problems kept her from going this time....hopefully next time, we'll all be there.

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:59 am

A TAXI thing would be great but Im talking about US (forum folks) having our own gathering.I wouldnt expect Michael to put this on every year although it would be fantastic.I think we all saw what a great family we can be and there are many more that would come I think.I hope your feeling ok Chits!Matt