Why the car?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Why the car?

Post by Telefunkin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:29 pm

I was wondering again (still dangerous) what is it about listening in the car as a way to judge whether our mixes translate well?
Is it...
- just another convenient audio setup?
- the familiarity we get from listening to a lot of music in there?
- the hyped bass/treble?
- some sub-bass reproduction via vibrating door panels etc?
- some/all of the above?
- none of the above?

Well, I'm rebelling! :lol: Mainly because my car radio doesn't have a USB input, so I have to burn either an audio or data CD, or transfer tracks to an mp3 player then connect that via the aux input. Both ways involve some messing about (especially when its late at night, cold outside, and a Taxi submission needs to be made). Instead, why can't I stay inside where its warm and reproduce 'the car' environment for more convenience? Alternatively, are there software simulations of specific cars already available so I can pretend I'm in a Ford without moving away from my monitors? Do I need a 2 litre engine running in the same room too? Velour or leather seats? ;)

Seriously though, does the in-car experience simply offer just another alternative listening environment?
Daft Question? Maybe, but I'll risk asking for thoughts anyway. :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Why the car?

Post by Len911 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Lack of trust in your reference monitor system. You trust your system by maybe "proving it" or it needs to earn your trust, and whatever you need to do to accomplish the trust. If you trust it, it's a reference, if you don't, it's just another monitor.

The one thing no one will be able to tell about your mix is what monitors you used,lol! If you told them what monitors you used, then someone who used those monitors, if something wasn't quite right would just inform you that you didn't know how to use them or wasn't familiar with them, so it's sort of a lost cause! :lol:

I think there are probably more misconceptions about reference monitors than anything else in recording.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Are you writing music that's destined for radio or public release? No? Then why bother? I don't think I've ever checked a mix in the car.

What are you aiming to be heard on? Tv speakers? Buds? Check on them.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 pm

I put the track (I'm working on) on my iPhone, then play it via Blue-tooth through my car audio system.
I also use IK Multimedia's ARC 2 room correction software, which included simulated listening environments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1U2uhFqL4

It's a reassuring thing for me to hear it sounding good/great on my car stereo...love that feeling. :D

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:20 am

The idea is what the majority are listening on, that's a reproduction source you want to check your mix on. Since the iPod thing, a good many listen on buds, which is sad I think, and mp3 is suitable audio quality today, which also is sad, since it's not as good as .wav format. Prior to the iPad it was the car stereo the majority of Pop and Rock fans listened on.

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 am

i used to check a mix in the car because it the most familiar to me. i had a much better idea how a mix should sound because of the time i spent listening to music while i was driving. the second reason is to hear how the sub sounds, is it balanced with everything else?

generally, you dont experience standing waves so the bass you hear is pretty much what it is. You're so close the speakers you dont really need to worry about reflections masking any frequencies. the 6x9's on the door are directed at your legs and the carpeting. you have some tweeters on the dashboard that might reflect off the side windows but they're so close i dont think it significantly affects what you hear.

these nodes and reflections are potentially very serious problems in a room if they arent addressed and even worse if you're not aware of them. i think thats another strong advantage to checking your mix in a car.

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Yea, one should think that flatscreen tv's should be a more appropriate reference for many in these forums.. :shock:
Ceo of my own life

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Maybe it wasn't such a daft question judging by the spread of responses and interesting accompanying comments.

I was joking about simulations of in-car listening, but I see that ARC2 includes such a feature. Now, if the point of ARC2 is to make sure you CAN trust your monitors, and even in their ad blurb they even mention that it saves you running out to your car to listen, why include a simulation of it? I'm not sure I understand the logic there. :)
Yea, one should think that flatscreen tv's should be a more appropriate reference for many in these forums.. :shock:
Very good point indeed Kolstad!

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Telefunkin wrote:I was joking about simulations of in-car listening, but I see that ARC2 includes such a feature. Now, if the point of ARC2 is to make sure you CAN trust your monitors, and even in their ad blurb they even mention that it saves you running out to your car to listen, why include a simulation of it? I'm not sure I understand the logic there. :)
Well, what I've found from using ARC for many years is: if it sounds decent on ALL of the simulated listening environments, it will translate very well. For me, it's more about relative levels of instruments, within my mix. Certain listening environments tend to hype/diminish certain frequencies. For example, my bass/drums mix might sound awesome (to my ear) on one setting & out of balance on another.

I want to get myself a real "grot box" in the near future. However, until then, these free Impulse Responses are kinda cool. I do use them from time to time:
'Free Impulse Responses from the iPad, iPhone and Behritone speakers'
http://www.aaronbrownsound.com/free-imp ... -speakers/

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am

....and then, as if by magic this arrived in my inbox today from Sonarworks...
We've finally finished Sonarworks Systemwide for Windows and macOS.
Systemwide will take all audio and apply Sonarworks calibration to it.
Now's your chance to try it out for 5 days and hear it for yourself!
We'll give you a special deal to buy it next week, so sit tight until then!
Select it as your primary output device and anything you playback will end up being calibrated.
Spotify, Youtube, Bandcamp, iTunes… Listen to reference tracks from anywhere and compare properly,
having the same reference sound. And never hear the old uncalibrated sound ever again!
Looks like I'd better give it a go! :)