Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by booker » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:24 am

Got it Erns!! So then the next question....was it their alter/alter egos that did Magical Mystery tour? How does a walrus play piano? Was everybody but me stoned when it came to music? (I was only a wee lad at the time) BTW...I'm enjoying this thread.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:10 am

Goo Goo Cachoo...S'cuse me... I need a tissue

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:09 pm

I think I made it all the way to an octopus' garden one night in New Orleans
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:46 pm

Quote:Got it Erns!! So then the next question....was it their alter/alter egos that did Magical Mystery tour? How does a walrus play piano? Here's another clue for you all --- the walrus was Paul (Glass Onion).Hmmm --- by Magical Mystery Tour, their minds were totally blown, methinks. (I sure love "I Am The Walrus," though --- kind of a Jabberwocky lyric). The lads got it back together after that period when they learned Transcendental Meditation in India. Ern

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:23 am

Ok....so then what is your idea of the best Beatle album?Call me crazy...But it's a tie between Abbey Road and Help!

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:00 pm

Quote:Ok....so then what is your idea of the best Beatle album?Call me crazy...But it's a tie between Abbey Road and Help!That's a tough one, Rock! The Beatles had so many creative eras. Early rockers like "Please Please Me" are so powerful they still give me goosebumps! Then they really blossomed as artists with "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver." Some people name one of those two as #1. Others pick Sgt. Pepper. Abbey Road is great, especially the "second side." The debate goes on! Here's a funny story: Steve Largent, the Hall-of-Fame NFL receiver for the Seattle Seahawks, was once asked which of his records he would most appreciate when he retired. He thought for a moment, and then said "The Beatles White Album." I'm with him; my personal fave is "The White Album," just because of its variety and many moods. Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:55 pm

Wow, tough question... Abbey Road side 2 is a perfect album side IMHO... I don't care for side 1 that much- it feels like more of a disjoint collection of songs... And I can live without the silly pop of Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.... However, George's "Something" is a masterpiece...Side 2 of Revolver... another great album side...And all the songs from a Hard Day's night are awesome! ... But by choosing, I'm leaving out so many great songs from other albums... Like "Hide Your Love Away" from Help, a drop dead fav of mine to play on my geetar... So much of the Beatles is in everything we hear today. Listen to Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)".... It is soooo Beatles-influenced. Casey

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:58 pm

Quote:Abbey Road side 2 is a perfect album side IMHO... I don't care for side 1 that much- it feels like more of a disjoint collection of songs... And I can live without the silly pop of Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer.... However, George's "Something" is a masterpiece...And all the songs from a Hard Day's night are awesome! ... I agree, Casey. The pop stuff on side 1 is kinda weak. I really like the heavy Lennon stuff, though!And A Hard Day's Night not only has great songs, it's a great movie to boot! Ern

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:29 pm

Hi Rock,Great thread! To answer the Sgt. Peppers part first. I think that to some degree, Pepper could be seen as the first 'multimedia event' album release. With the iconic album cover, the change in the band's image (ridiculous facial hair, psychedelic military outfits etc), and the breadth of music on the record (from mock classical to english music-hall whimsy to Indian raggas). It was a more tactile and three dimensional experience than people were used to up til then. Oh, and everyone was stoned. I would certainly agree that it's not their best record even though it does contain a handful of their finest songs.I tend to think of Revolver and The White Album as being their top albums with the White Album getting the nod for sheer variety and consistency. I do love Abbey Road but've always had the sneaking suspicion that side two is Macca's dry run for Wings.As a side note, I just found out an interesting fact recently. Apparently the entire Beatles studio logs are completely intact and according to them, Ringo never made a mistake. Not once. Ever. In all the hundreds of hours of recording the Beatles did, with bass flubs, missed intros, off key singing, wrong chords, they never had to stop rolling tape because of Ringo.Good ol' Ringo.

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:34 pm

I can't say I have a favorite Beatles album. There are so many great songs -- I mean timeless songs -- in many of them.As far as individual songs, though...Hide Your Love Away, for its simplicity, depth and perfect melody...Norwegian Wood... melody -- no question...Yesterday... Nuff said...Money Can't Buy Me Love...And on and on...