Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:26 pm

Quote:So much of the Beatles is in everything we hear today. Listen to Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)".... It is soooo Beatles-influenced. CaseyI think that one of the most revered rock albums, Nirvana's "Nevermind", is so influenced by the Beatles, especially Lennon. His spirit lives.Ern

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:18 pm

Quote:As a side note, I just found out an interesting fact recently. Apparently the entire Beatles studio logs are completely intact and according to them, Ringo never made a mistake. Not once. Ever. In all the hundreds of hours of recording the Beatles did, with bass flubs, missed intros, off key singing, wrong chords, they never had to stop rolling tape because of Ringo.Good ol' Ringo. I've got a great book about the Abbey Road sessions, which confirms that. I'll post the title when I get back to my studio "next year."Feliz Navidad! Y Happy New Year!Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:44 am

Yeah, when I think of the Beatles, I think of my favorite songs more than favorite albums... Some random thoughts:When they made Abbey Road, Side 1 was for John and Side 2 was for Paul... I do love the way they did those medlies on Side 2. (Mostly Paul's work)Although Sgt. Pepper is not one the better albums (IMO), there are some unbelievable shinging bright spots- I love listening from the reprise through Good Morning and A Day In The Life...I noticed a lot of people said The White Album was their favorite. That was a really bad time in their history- they were barely together, fighting all the time. I always thought they should have made a single album of the best songs, not a double. My favs on that one are the George Harrison tracks esp. While My Guitar Gently Weeps which (as everyone knows) has Eric Clapton on lead guitar.I love "Let It Be" because of it's unfinished-ness. It is essentially a live Beatles album with them playing the tracks in one take. Even with Phil Spector's production added, the live "one take" feel shines. I also love the 2nd 1/2 of the movie "Let It Be" where they do the rooftop concert...More later ....

katy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by katy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:34 pm

I wasn't born yet when the Beatles arrived in the USA.. ... but I married a Beatle-maniac... www.beatlemaniaalumni.com/BUNK6.htm lol!, so I've certainly heard a great deal of the Beatles albums over the years. I especially like the White Album and Rubber Soul. Sgt. Peppers isn't a favorite, but I don't think ya can go wrong with any Beatles albumsor Beatle-maniacs!

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:18 pm

The are only two songs I'd leave off The White Album.The first is 'Revolution'. It's a good song but the shooby doo wop version on the album is really weakly executed I think. The rock'n'roll version is much better.The second is 'Revolution No. 9'. A bloody awful sound collage. I love stuff like this normally but Avant Garde noodling was definitely not The Beatles' strong point. The BBC Radiophonic Workshop were much better at this sort of thing and I'm pretty sure that's where the influence for this piece came from. George Martin was a big fan, even sampling (!!) some of their work work for his own pop-jazz releases in the 50s. I think he used an Akai S5000.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:00 am

Quote:I think that one of the most revered rock albums, Nirvana's "Nevermind", is so influenced by the Beatles, especially Lennon. His spirit lives.ErnI've got to say, I don't hear any Lennon in Nevermind either musically or lyrically. Lennon was a positivist while Cobain was a whiner with meaningless lyrics and nothing substantive to say. Happy New Year Everyone!! Hope you all realize your dreams over the next few months.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:20 pm

Quote:I've got to say, I don't hear any Lennon in Nevermind either musically or lyrically. Lennon was a positivist while Cobain was a whiner with meaningless lyrics and nothing substantive to say. Listen to Lennon's first solo album. It's all about pain, alienation, and isolation. He was into primal scream therapy. "Can't do you no harm to feel your own pain." Great, but extremely raw album. "Well, Well Well" says it all! Have a great 2005 everyone! Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:17 pm

And speaking of Lennon's first solo album, I love his "Working Class Hero"... Casey

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:42 pm

Quote:And speaking of Lennon's first solo album, I love his "Working Class Hero"... CaseyYea, that is a great song. "As soon as you're born, they make you feel small --- by giving you no time instead of it all." Powerful stuff.Song I'd leave off the White Album: Ringo's "Don't Pass Me By." I believe that was the first song he ever wrote, and it sounds like it! Cool fiddle on it, though! Ern

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:25 am

I love 'Don't pass me by'! The naivety of it gives it a lot of charm in my opinion. I love Ringo's childlike approach to singing and the violin is inspired. And it's got the best drum sound on the album! I still don't see any relationship between 'Plastic Ono' and 'Nevermind'. Put simply, Nirvana's product was for petulant teenagers and never really stepped beyond those boundaries into meaning anything worthwhile or lasting. 'Mother' on the other hand, is something else entirely. No comparison IMO. What about best solo album by a Beatle? I'd nominate All Things Must Pass, with Plastic Ono a respectable second.