Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by booker » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 pm

Erns have you read Lennon's short stories? They're quite strange, but fun.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri May 04, 2007 9:06 am

George Martin:"By 1967 we were building sound pictures and my role had changed --- it was now to interpret those pictures and work out how best to get them down on tape. --- John would make whooshing noises and try to describe what only he could hear in this head, saying he wanted a song 'to sound like an orange'.When we first worked on 'Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!' John had said that he wanted to 'smell the sawdust on the floor', wanted to taste the atmosphere of the circus.I knew we needed a backwash, a general mush of sound, like if you go to a fairground, shut your eyes and listen: rifle shots, hurdy-gurdy noises, people shouting -- and way in the distance -- just a tremendous chaotic sound. So I got hold of old calliope tapes, playing 'Stars and Stripes Forever' and other Sousa marches, chopped the tapes up into small sections and had Geoff Emerick throw them up in the air, re-assembling them at random.""I threw the bits up in the air but, amazingly, they came back together in almost the same order," says Emerick. "We all expected it to sound different but it was virtually the same as before! So we switched bits around and turned some upside down.""It really worked well," says Martin proudly. "And of course John was delighted with the end result."Ern (Ringeaux)

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:38 am

A DAY IN THE LIFEThe OrchestraAt the end of the orchestra's tremendous 33 second build-up near the end of the song, everyone in the studio broke into a spontaneous barrage of applause. It must have been a remakable night in all ways, best summed up by George Martin. "When we'd finished doing the orchestral bit one part of me said 'We're being a bit self-indulgent here'. The other part of me said 'It's bloody marvellous!'"The Piano ChordThe final piano chord was the sound of John, Paul, Ringo, and Mal Evans sharing three pianos and simultaneously hitting E major.It took nine takes to perfect because the four players were rarely able to hit the keys at precisely the same time. Take nine was considered 'best' so it was overdubbed three more times, with George Martin compounding the sound further on a harmonium, until all four tracks of the tape were full. The resultant wall of sound, which lasted for 53 1/2 seconds (it was faded a little early on the record), was the perfect ending.Ringeaux

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:11 pm

Quote:A DAY IN THE LIFEThe OrchestraAt the end of the orchestra's tremendous 33 second build-up near the end of the song, everyone in the studio broke into a spontaneous barrage of applause. It must have been a remakable night in all ways, best summed up by George Martin. "When we'd finished doing the orchestral bit one part of me said 'We're being a bit self-indulgent here'. The other part of me said 'It's bloody marvellous!'"The Piano ChordThe final piano chord was the sound of John, Paul, Ringo, and Mal Evans sharing three pianos and simultaneously hitting E major.It took nine takes to perfect because the four players were rarely able to hit the keys at precisely the same time. Take nine was considered 'best' so it was overdubbed three more times, with George Martin compounding the sound further on a harmonium, until all four tracks of the tape were full. The resultant wall of sound, which lasted for 53 1/2 seconds (it was faded a little early on the record), was the perfect ending.Ringeaux Damn, there's something refreshing about two of the greatest pop songwriters ever not being able to hit an E major at the same time