Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by booker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:12 am

Ok...so what is up with the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band" being such a "ground breaking" project? It lacks the hits of some of the other albums as well as not being as focused as other bands of the times. What's your take?

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Why was Sgt. Peppers such a huge album?

Post by hookstownbrown » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:14 pm

Back then, the whole world was on LSD...

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:22 pm

Interesting... I'm a huge Beatles fan and it is not one of my fav Beatle albums at all. I think what made it groundbreaking was that it was the first "concept" album, one that (supposedly) had more of a theme about it as opposed to just a collection of songs.Interestingly, IMHO, it was not as much of a "Beatles" album (as a group) at all... In many ways, Revolver and Rubber Soul were the last true Beatle albums- because they still functioned very much as a band. On Sgt. Pepper, there is more of a John songs/Paul songs divide and George didn't even come to many of the sessions.I do like the album, it's just not my favorite.... A great cover too, BTW... In the CD age, the art of great album covers is lost... Casey

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:08 am

Quote:Interesting... In the CD age, the art of great album covers is lost... Casey Amen to that...

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:45 pm

I think (I might be wrong) it was the first album to include the lyrics. Also, this is more of an exploration in compostion than a band's album; a precursor to things like The Wall, 2112, ORB, ELP, Thick as a Brick...Zink

drew
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by drew » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:08 am

As I remember it (it's a little fuzzy ) many people waited in anticipation for each and every new Beatles album to come out. I believe an awful lot of the sales were automatic.Down here in the south you weren't going to hear more than one of the cuts on a radio station back then. You could find out more about new albums by reading reviews.When the first dude bought the new album and said "It's far-out, maaan", we all went and bought it And, like Hooks said, everyone was stoned out of their gourds at about that time
It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

booker
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by booker » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:15 am

A concept album? Can someone please explain what the concept was? Don't get me wrong...I love the Beatles albums. I just don't see the ground breaking phenomenon that I keep hearing about. I would like to hear the album "Pet sounds" by the Beach Boys and try to draw some comparisons. I was told that Sgt Peppers was done on a 4 track....izzat true?

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:39 am

Don't know if the music was recorded on a 4 track, but I'm sure the vocals were recorded through a bong...

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:28 am

Quote:A concept album? Can someone please explain what the concept was? Don't get me wrong...I love the Beatles albums. I just don't see the ground breaking phenomenon that I keep hearing about. I would like to hear the album "Pet sounds" by the Beach Boys and try to draw some comparisons. I was told that Sgt Peppers was done on a 4 track....izzat true?The concept was that the album wasn't by the Beatles, it was by their alter-egos, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. For instance, Ringo was "Billy Shears," as you can hear at the end of the title song, going into "A Little Help From My Friends."But, yea, it was the soundtrack to the "Summer Of Love." There is so much psychedelic detail in the sounds and arrangements --- lots to "listen" to! Check out "Good Morning" which goes into the "Sgt." reprise which goes into the incomparable "A Day In The Life." Far out, man! Oh, yea, it was done on a 4-track, with lots of bouncing.Personally, I'm a "White Album" guy! Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:10 am

Quote:Don't know if the music was recorded on a 4 track, but I'm sure the vocals were recorded through a bong... Yup, everyone was on drugs back then... But I never inhaled... Casey