We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Why was this rejected?

Post by deantaylor » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:30 pm

Hey Everyone,

This one has been rejected by 3 publishers. Is there some mix issue we are not hearing? Some other weakness? Any room for improvement?

I really thought this would get accepted, because we have had 2 similar songs accepted recently (the same vocalist, a similar modern "Elvis" vibe).

https://s.disco.ac/ydecyohrtopk

Thanks,
Dean and Marc

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Why was this rejected?

Post by Casey H » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:25 pm

Hey Dean & Marc
We all get those "orphans", ones that none of our go to libraries are interested in. And we'll probably never know why. We do know that it's a very saturated market and libraries are being even more selective than ever. Sometimes it's just because they have enough of the style already. Sometimes the same library that accepted your other similar tracks had a different reviewer for this one.

This song has a cool traveling vibe. I could see it in a scene while people are riding in a car, maybe in a convertible with the top down. I think it's a bit long and repetitive but I don't think that would be a reason for rejection.

Others may have feedback on the mix itself.

Happy Holidays!
Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:01 pm

TBH - to use a screener term that was used as a recent return of one of my/our own:
"Not captivating". (Another dreaded "C" word added to the lexicon of NOT 'contemporary' nor 'compelling'.)

In my own words: while it has a good vibe in the tempo; it strikes me as 'too static' -
1) lacking an interesting and memorable melody;
2) I was wondering if it might sound better with a LIVE DRUMMER - for the real-feel - versus such a produced 'jukebox' canned-sounding track.

Meaning to be helpful.
:? 8-)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 am

Casey: Thanks. Good points. I hope we can make some improvements and make it 'not an orphan'. We may just try and make it less repetitive.

Peter: Thanks. That is definitely helpful. Listening with your thoughts in mind, I can hear where you are coming from. You may be right about all of that. I think our other 2 similar songs (that got accepted) are 'more compelling' than this one. And you give some actionable things we can try.

cowriter
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by cowriter » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:03 am

Hey Marc, nice overall vibe but I would emphasize the chorus a little more. Otherwise the song warbles along without much dynamics, also because the vocal melody constantly moves around the E. Try singing a B as harmony in the chorus of "Goods", or add a high D first: Goo(D) ood (B) you'll notice, it works wonders. :D

Best, Andy

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:32 am

Usually the main reason they are not accepted is because they don't think it's something their clients could use.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Andy: Thank you! We will definitely give those harmony ideas a try.

cosmicdolphin: Yes, that might be it. But it also could be because of some weakness/issue in this version, so we want to try and make it better and submit again.

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:06 pm

deantaylor wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:30 pm
Hey Everyone,
Is there some mix issue we are not hearing? Some other weakness? Any room for improvement?

Nope, it's good. " great work IMHO? One has to get picky on these. I would like to hear a few "really good" after the "I think it's good" instead of the brass every time. Maybe like bgv tripple singers? I won't mention race :)

The bass really carries this. I wonder if a different bass line in places might give it some flavor or interest unpredictable??

Great singer voice, smooth as silk. Some higher notes sprinkled maybe??

Good vibe this combo makes. carry on
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:33 am

Paul: Thank you. That's good feedback and we will try a few of those ideas. Others mentioned harmonies and bgvs too.

minoruchan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by minoruchan » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:51 am

Hi Dean and Marc,

I listened carefully. In my opinion, I thought it was a good song, but since you want improvements, I'm going to write something harsh. There's too much reverb on the vocals, and the reverb has a modern feel, so I felt it didn't suit the song. I don't think it's good for a song to have retro performances and modern elements, and in the end give the impression that it's neither.
I thought the development was too monotonous. I felt that the build-up was lacking. I think the brass section in the second half could be a little more playful.
When selecting songs, many of the top libraries focus on the development of the songs to keep the audience interested.
You want to create an Elvis atmosphere, but I think the vocals are too calm from beginning to end, making it too much. I think this is probably due to the repeated punch in and out recording.
When a singer sings, the lyrics and the singer's emotions change at various points in the song. If you repeatedly punch in, it becomes a flat version when you try to sing it correctly, and even if that part is a good take, if you listen to it as a whole, it becomes an uninteresting take.

If the singer does not have a special development ability, there are other methods such as adding a doubling to the second verse or adding harmony to the second chorus.

I think that when a song is simply a repetition of three rock chords, how it develops is a very important issue.

Also, regarding which songs the library selects,
No one knows that and everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
It's like the difference between entering a cafe and choosing coffee or orange juice.

Thank you