WIP - 'No Enemy' Update - NEW Words -you guys are top!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: WIP - 'No Enemy' Update - NEW Words -you guys are top!

Post by sedge » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks Cam, Appreciate you taking the time, your comment confirming I got some work todo! Backing vocals to stick back in, new harmonica, Im hoping with the BV back in the chorus will get a push. Thanks for the idea of where to pitch too, I was hoping for film/TV, that is my single goal here at Taxi, write one song that gets used in a film!

majorshadow21
Active
Active

Post by majorshadow21 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:06 am

I love the temp, the message, the vocal and the arrangement. The energy is wonderful.
Good stuff!

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:40 am

Hey Major!
I Thought the trail on this thread was buried (well hoping it was) haha

Thanks or the encouragement ! : )

ThirdStrand
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ThirdStrand » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:21 am

Sedge - I like this one a LOT...it grooves NICE, and mix is feelin' tight. I dig the quote at the end...to make it feel even more trancelike there, I almost wanted that whole coda just to be on a G5...no move to D, which made it feel slightly brighter and slightly less coda-like. I thought the melody there would feel cool against a drone. That breakdown in the middle is just right.

When the second guitar enters, "had it good and I...," I miss some of the clarity that existed before, which was helping me hear the funky details of what you were doing...maybe just an eq/placement thing? Only noticed on the second listen.

Finally, the choruses also feel slightly brighter and bouncier than the general tone of the song, I think because of the walkdown progression with parallel thirds btw bass and vocals. That might be what you're going for there, but I wanted to stay in the trance zone a little more when I was listening, and it popped me out for a second. Could hear an acoustic line, just two notes, grooving on the low G kind of hard with a pick and hammer-ons from the F below, to create a G pedal under the whole thing and keep that F-G sound from the verses a little.

Really love it as it is though...great start to my day listening!

Matt
www.taxi.com/mattcurleemusic

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:31 am

Matt your ears are just blowing me away, fantastic to spot as much as that!
I really wish I knew about the thirds and things you are mentioning. All in all I get the gist ( i think) , to put this closer to a grrove/trance out zone (which yes I would really like) I need something that spans longer over the chorus? A drone note / line ? so when it goes away from chord there is something pulling it back, finally when it gets back its much more rooty??? kinda thing

Sorry Im so rubbish with the music language, if I got it right, I like the sound of what your saying.

Brilliant feedback man, thanks tons

ThirdStrand
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ThirdStrand » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:56 am

Hey dude! Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking...a couple possibilities occurred to me:

1. Keep everything as-is on the chorus, and just add a guitar part where you groove kinda heavy between the low F and G, single-note stuff, to kind of create a stable pedal tone for everything to move against.
2. And/or, just adjust the voicing of the chorus chords so they all have that G-D 5th sounding...instead of C-G-D-G, maybe Gsus4, G, G2, G, while still singing the same line above, so there's a G-D drone sounding the whole time.
3. Could more dramatically reharmonize the chorus, but I'd be less inclined to do that.

I hadn't realized how much I missed being around here the last couple of months - I get so inspired by the music everybody's creating.

Matt
www.taxi.com/mattcurleemusic

sedge
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sedge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:06 am

Matt you are buzzing!
I have been throwing all sorts at the chorus, backing vocals, drums, bass and just not been able to see it.

I can hear what you are saying in my head! now the challenge to do it.
I could be lucky here and it is just some note(s) spanning over like you suggest to give it a journey over the hill.

Happy you said I might get the drone running with it as it is - as breaking into the guitars that are there would be major hassle, its pretty much live with no edits or tempo track/grid to map or make edits at

I'll have to dig it out!
This thread/tune was gone and I kinda left the tune as was, re inspired now. Thanks Mat, and thanks Major 2 for digging this one out again

Many Thanks x million,
Rob