with strong ties to major & indie labels?

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

with strong ties to major & indie labels?

Post by thedivys » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:12 pm

How does Taxi know if a management/P.R Company truly has major label ties as they state in the listings?

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: with strong ties to major & indie labels?

Post by allends » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:21 pm

Quote:How does Taxi know if a management/P.R Company truly has major label ties as they state in the listings?I'm not sure I understand why you would ask...Why wouldn't they know?-Allen

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I'd just like to say... Welcome back to the REAL divys... all that schmooze and bragging before seemed so out of place. (btw-- tongue firmly inserted in cheek here)Aub

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:00 am

Why would I ask? Because what keeps someone from contacting Taxi, stating that they 'have serious connections with major labes/producers, etc' when they really don't. Why would someone do that? I don't know. Maybe to get you signed and then take a pecentage of your money while they barely do anything for you and you end up doing most of the work....call me paranoid...i just want to know specifically how Taxi knows if the clients that state that they have major label connections truly do.Do they do a background check?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:38 am

First, congrats on your recent successes! I've read about them! Some questions came up a while back as to the criteria to run a listing with TAXI and Michael posted the following:If you would like to run a listing with TAXI, you need to be one of the following: o Major record label.o Major publisher.o Small to mid-size publisher with verifiable cuts on nationally released and/or charted product.o Music supervisor with credits/tracks in nationally released films or TV shows.o Independent record label that has nationally released and distributed, and/or charted product.o Producer who has credits on nationally released and distributed, and/or charted product.o Nationally distributed production music library company with tracks in major films, TV shows or commercials.o Manager with major label affiliations.We're sorry to exclude companies that may not have entered the major leagues yet, but we will only forward our members' music to companies that are strategically and economically able to help our members achieve their career objectives.To be part of TAXI's A&R Team you must be: o Former A&R person who has worked at a major label or a credible independent label.o Former publisher who has worked at a major publisher or credible independent publisher.o Music journalist with top credentials.o TV or film music supervisor with top credits.o Producer who has credits on nationally released and/or charted product.o Artist signed or formerly signed to a major label or a credible independent label.o Current or former staff writer at a major publishing company or credible independent publisher.To run a listing with TAXI, please call (800) 458-2111 or (818) 888-2111 from outside the U.S. You may also FAX us your request at (818) 888-8811 on your company letterhead. You may also run a listing by emailing us at listings@taxi.com. Please include background information on your company.So, TAXI requires verification that the folks who run listings are for real. Think about this... Why would they allow bogus listings? Besides the obvious moral and ethical issues, think how bad it would be for business when people discover the listings were not what they say they are? It would be like Toyota selling cars with bad parts.I also can say that an old friend of mine from the tonos.com days is a staff writer at Warner-Chappell... He has seen CDs from TAXI on the desks of the A&R folks. Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:40 am

Yeah Taxi definitely checks out companies before they allow them to run listings. They won't just take their word for it that they have "ties to labels" or anything like that.

thedivys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by thedivys » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Thanks for all the great info!