world wide distribution deal

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: world wide distribution deal

Post by ragani » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Vicky,I'm so sad to hear about your troubles with this company. Yeah, we also got forwarded there, and I was contacted by the company. But their "deal" seemed very fishy to me-- they had changed the name of their company several times, had contradictions in their contract, AND they wanted BIG BUCKS upfront to work with us (said so in the contract too). Are you kidding?! So I called TAXI right away to report my suspicions and my disappointment in having spent even $5 for this kind of forward to what appeared to be a sham company. At that point, it was early on, and no one else seemed upset by the company's actions. IMO, if you're looking for good worldwide digital distribution, CDBaby is still the way to go for independent artists-- thanks to them, our music is selling via iTunes, and elsewhere all over the world. [BTW, when I asked this aforementioned company why they would be interested in us (as we already were in worldwide digital places such as iTunes), they insisted that they could get our music into MORE countries (perhaps he was referring to some other tiny countries that don't yet have computer access??! Aurgh!! ]So when the e-mail I had sent to the "president" started bouncing back after a few weeks, that was the final chapter for me. Yeah, it's good to keep our heads on square with deals, for any deals, for all deals. I'm only sorry it happened to you, Vicky, and I hope you can get your contract situation cleared up before the Rally. It will be good to start clean again. Good luck!You've got some great music, Vicky, and I'm betting that you'll have more than a few good deals that will come your way. Don't lose heart with this one! See you soon!Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks Suz and Raags...I should have known...I had some doubts....I should have went with my gut....too bad Taxi mentioned members being happy...but I will give Taxi a pass, because they didn't know, and it was a timing thing...I was looking at the contract right before Taxi decided not to work with them anymore...urgg...but thanks for responding.....overall I'm happy with the other contracts I've signed this year...I should have gone with CD Baby...Thanks again,Vicky

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:49 am

Chin up girl!!Sure the deal aint all roses but you got something alot of people want. Talent AND a deal.THink of Guns -n- Roses. Their first deal for Appetite for destruction was so bad that they didnt receive a royalty payment for 2 and a half years after the release. It is still one of the biggest selling debut albums of any genre for all time.Can you imagine? Your album goes platinum in a year and you still have to tour 300 days a year just to pay the bills. And the record company got some of the touring money also to "recoup" recording/production/promotion costs. WTF???You're on your way up smile and thank the heavens!!!M~

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:57 am

Matt...I'm proud to say I saw that Guns-n-Roses tour in 3 cities..."Sweet Child of Mine" is practically elevator music these days....actually I heard Ozzy in an elevator recently...thanks for the good thoughts,vtbp

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey vicky the bassplayer!Sorry about your situation. I was all happy for ya' and everythang! What a total bummer. One thing I've learned in my 44 years of existance on this earth, is ALWAYS follow your first mind. If your instincts tell ya' not ta' do something, you should make sure you listen. I can't tell ya' how many times I didn't listen, and got burned foolin' around with one situation or another. But I learned the hard way. I seldom NOT listen to my gut instincts anymore. Probably have avoided alot of costly situations by doin' so. I ain't saying be paranoid about everything, but when somethin' don't feel right, best thing ta' do is walk away.Don't worry though, you'll get another shot at it. Keep your head up, and keep pluggin' away. Your time'll come, that I'm sure of. PEACE!I-468

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi VTBPSo sorry to hear... I hope you can have the contract terminated easily. If not, it may require you talk to an entertainment attorney. Usually if the other party doesn't do what they said they would do, it's possible to claim breach or contract and get out (speaking not as a lawyer). Hang in there! More opportunities are out there for someone like you! Cya soon!Casey

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Vicky,I think this will turn out to be a small bump in the road. With your talent and drive, your music will go far, I am confident of that.Not that it makes any of this easier to take. In fact, it really sucks. You seem to have a good attitude about it and realize that you need to move on. Hang in there.Looking forward to meeting you at the Rally. We can debrief over a beverage or two.Take care,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

lboogie77
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lboogie77 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:16 am

Hey Vicky, sorry to hear things did not go as planned. Sorry to hear about your computer too. It wont be like this forever, the checks will roll in and you can buy a monster daw!! Best Regards

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:00 am

Thanks lboogie77, Mazz, Casey, and Bruce...I really appreciate the good thoughts...I'm sure the Rally will set me straight with a plan.....In the mean time,....I've looked thru my files, and I have 9 unfinished songs that got left this year, because I didn't make the deadline.....so lots of work to do...I really appreciate you all...vtbp

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 am

Oct 30, 2008, 10:00am, vicky wrote:Thanks lboogie77, Mazz, Casey, and Bruce...I really appreciate the good thoughts...I'm sure the Rally will set me straight with a plan.....In the mean time,....I've looked thru my files, and I have 9 unfinished songs that got left this year, because I didn't make the deadline.....so lots of work to do...I really appreciate you all...vtbpYou're right about that. The timing of this situation really couldn't be better seeing as the Rally is right around the corner. I have to chime it that this isn't Taxi's proudest moment that's for sure. I'm not going to "rah rah" you here but I know from personal experience that this kind of thing is the exception and not the rule. Forget about me for the moment... Matto has tons of placements yet continues with Taxi. If your experience was all Taxi had to offer he surely wouldn't be here. Same with me.I don't know how much help I could be but I'd certainly be glad to devote the time to help in any way I can or to find someone that can. Looking forward to meeting you. Dave