We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Stubee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Would appreciate feedback prior to post closing

Post by Stubee » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:17 pm

https://soundcloud.com/stuthaler/im-gonna-make-her-mine

I submitted this for the British Invasion style song. Would anyone be willing to provide me with some brutally honest feedback before the listing closes.
I think it sounds good but thats what I think of all my submissions that get returned.

Thanks,
Stu

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Would appreciate feedback prior to post closing

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am

Hi Stu

I'm not really hearing a huge similarity between your song and the reference tracks which I am kinda familiar with from hearing them growing up. Your song reminds me more of a Travelling Wilbury's type track than British Invasion.

The main differences is the ref tracks are much more dynamic, and have quite a different rhythmic feel to your track IMHO

In the references there's a lot going on in the rhythm sections to add interest, lots of fills etc. drummers really going for it - Your beat pretty static and quite repetitive, it doesn't remind me of a live drummer.

Vocally I'm hearing a lot more stacked harmonies in the reference tracks, much more call - response type patterns etc.

Instrument sounds are different as well, your parts don't have the same sounds as those tracks ..there's some very distinctive 60's guitar sound etc in those tracks which I don't think you have replicated.

Overall I would say it's stylistcally off target, and not dynamic enough and lack the signature sounds of the era. These historical type tracks can be fun but they require a lot of research to do well. Researching what equipment they had access to , how they would have recorded it , what effects units they had access to can all help get a sound that's more evocative of the era. I would also suggest doing the same research for writing the song as there are certain note and chord structures which are relevant to that time and by using those as a guide you can write a song that's much closer.

Mark

helenrobertson

Re: Would appreciate feedback prior to post closing

Post by helenrobertson » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am

Hi Stu

I'm afraid I don't think it sounds like a band. I'd change up the drums more. I didn't even notice any fills. The vocals sound a bit out of time too and overall, it lacks energy. Mark has given much more useful feedback than I have...