Would appreciate feedback

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Would appreciate feedback

Post by jlopez » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:20 pm

See below for what Taxi says it is looking for...

https://soundcloud.com/user-259400115/s ... -1/s-EE1PG

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts

Whipple

CINEMATIC TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a globally distributed Production Music Library with an awesome 20-year history of great placements.

They’re on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could work for Blockbuster Hollywood Movie Trailers. Listen to the following references to get in the general stylistic wheelhouse of what they’re looking for:

Marvel Studios' Avengers: Endgame - Official Trailer

The Lion King' Official Trailer

The Professor and the Madman Trailer

Please submit heart-pounding Trailer Instrumentals that sound like they're ready for the big screen! Your Instrumentals should follow the kind of structure often heard in trailers, with three distinct acts that build to a climactic crescendo. Your instrumentation can be organic/ orchestral, electronic, or a hybrid of both, as long as it's on par with current Blockbuster Trailers -- in other words, really, really good!

RapperTriggaD1

Re: Would appreciate feedback

Post by RapperTriggaD1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm

This is A great instrumental it would be an awesome instrumental for a heart pounding suspense movie or an action movie keep up the great work!

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:55 am

You are off to a good start!
I didn't listen all the way through as there seemed to be three things that my ears rejected
1. The overall mix seems to be a bit flat, not hitting me in the gut with deep lows.
2. The Opening Riser sort of faded out and then some instruments dragged out the impact of having the riser there without giving me that "Heart stopping Anticipation"
3. The triggered Cymbals feel a bit too unrealistic, could be the EQ, could be too much repetition of the same hit, needs more variation.
Hope that helps!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockinrob » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 am

Love the vibe. Seems the cymbals are a bit much n out front. Really liked about 2:05 on. All in all great vibe.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 am

Thanks for the feedback .....
RapperTriggaD1 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm
This is A great instrumental it would be an awesome instrumental for a heart pounding suspense movie or an action movie keep up the great work!

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 am

Hii thanks the cymbals are a bit of a problem. I am trying to get the rest sound but agree the symbols are to much upfront
rockinrob wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 am
Love the vibe. Seems the cymbals are a bit much n out front. Really liked about 2:05 on. All in all great vibe.

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks for the detailed feedback. that is what i am looking for in these forums. I am struggling with the mix in terms of getting the sound to match the references. Regarding the opening riser in act one, yes i agree that with your comment. I have made some adjustments already but will keep at it. I am also trying to get the cymbals right and admit I don't have it quite right thanks so much
cassmcentee wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:55 am
You are off to a good start!
I didn't listen all the way through as there seemed to be three things that my ears rejected
1. The overall mix seems to be a bit flat, not hitting me in the gut with deep lows.
2. The Opening Riser sort of faded out and then some instruments dragged out the impact of having the riser there without giving me that "Heart stopping Anticipation"
3. The triggered Cymbals feel a bit too unrealistic, could be the EQ, could be too much repetition of the same hit, needs more variation.
Hope that helps!
Cass

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 am

Thanks for the feedback and for pointing out things that could be improved or just didn't sound right. I truly appreciate your time and comments

devinwalker7

Post by devinwalker7 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:31 pm

Hey JLopez,

Nice work. I liked acts 1,2,3, but the end is a bit anticlimactic for me. I would end at 2:40 with a large sharp hit, short space, then add a low boom. Another option would be to cut at 2:40, then use the material from 1:47- 1:55 as the ending. Section 4- reprise would go as follows: after ending at 2:40 use the material from 1:47 to 1:50 with more intensity (16th notes in strings with risers and hits), then zero out volumes (at 1:51) so things don’t ring out to create a very short silence (0.5 seconds), then use 1:53-1:54 with added low end as the exclamation point.

I have written some of this kind of music, and I intend to write more. :idea: But, I am no expert, just a connoisseur. It is very hard to write “epic trailer music”, and just as difficult to mix it. You’re doing great. Nice chord choices, and nice variety in your instrumentation. For the symbols: you can lower the volume and add a little reverb to make them less “upfront”. They will actually sound “bigger” and better if they are a bit quieter with a little reverb.
Devin
[highlight][shadow]Devin[/shadow][/highlight][https://walkerlegacy.com/home][/BBvideo]

jlopez
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jlopez » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:38 am

devinwalker7 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:31 pm
Hey JLopez,

Nice work. I liked acts 1,2,3, but the end is a bit anticlimactic for me. I would end at 2:40 with a large sharp hit, short space, then add a low boom. Another option would be to cut at 2:40, then use the material from 1:47- 1:55 as the ending. Section 4- reprise would go as follows: after ending at 2:40 use the material from 1:47 to 1:50 with more intensity (16th notes in strings with risers and hits), then zero out volumes (at 1:51) so things don’t ring out to create a very short silence (0.5 seconds), then use 1:53-1:54 with added low end as the exclamation point.

I have written some of this kind of music, and I intend to write more. :idea: But, I am no expert, just a connoisseur. It is very hard to write “epic trailer music”, and just as difficult to mix it. You’re doing great. Nice chord choices, and nice variety in your instrumentation. For the symbols: you can lower the volume and add a little reverb to make them less “upfront”. They will actually sound “bigger” and better if they are a bit quieter with a little reverb.
Devin
Thanks Devin. I really appreciate your comments and feedback. Nice ideas and I will try them out. I am still learning and this forum has been great. interesting about the ending as I thought the hits and choir and ending on that octave sounded ok but certainly I will give the suggestions a try. I am having trouble with cymbals as everyone has mentioned those and i have lowered them in subsequent mixes but I will give the reverb idea a try. I am still not happy with the transitions between acts and the overall sound. Especially in act 2 when the cellos come in.... but thanks again