Would Kurt Cobain have made a deal in here?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Would Kurt Cobain have made a deal in here?

Post by Picardster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:13 pm

BTW: still not sure KC would have made it in here. But the tunes they played last night on Taxi-TV defo were worth it.....just saying

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am

I just don't 'get' the question.
Would a sumo wrestler be any good at hang-gliding?
Would Picasso have made a good Disney animator?
Is a horse better than a camel?
:roll: :)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:12 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:52 am
These are all questions to which there is no single answer. Everyone is good at what they do if they make the effort. You can't be lazy and pretend to be good and successful. Any success is work and self-realization.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 am

Picardster wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:16 pm
Hi Fellow Passengers,
with all this categorization and framework for listings going on here on Taxe I wonder if creative people who make music "out of the box", crossover stuff with new and creative sounds and tunes would be able to find deals in here, since such material would hardly fit into any wheelbase of any listing.

Any thoughts about that?
If we focus on Film/TV music which probably is 90% of what we do here... Someone coming on the scene with a new sound, might have trouble getting their music into libraries since they mostly want music that mimics what is mainstream popular now or recently. It's the nature of the beast. That's why there are the reference tracks in Film/TV listings. That being said, someone coming on with a new sound who develops a large following-- youtube, streaming, selling their own albums, etc. will be very desirable to music sups who like to work with emerging artists. This applies a lot to higher end placements like on Grey's Anatomy. Of course, once that newcomer is more well known, music libraries will ask for music that sounds like them.

This is not to say it's all copycat with no originality. It's just that a lot of the reason sups use music libraries is to find less expensive tracks that have similar sound to known artists whose music is too expensive for them to license.

And finally, there are no absolutes. Be the next Kurt Cobain and get back to me. ;)

:D Casey

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 am
That's why there are the reference tracks in Film/TV listings.
Beabadoobee's few tracks literally have already been used as references themselves multiple times. (She is a huge Nirvana fan by the way )
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
:P :D :lol:
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:34 am

Cobain's lyrics showed a complete lack of care for minimal standards of meaning and comprehensibility. Of course, there is a place for that kind of thing, it's just that lyrics like, "Come as you are, as you were, as I wanted you to be, as a friend, as a friend..." shows he often just threw together stream of consciousness. I think many people took it as a slap in the face to the "system," so they ate it up. In his case he really didn't care about the lyrics, himself, his wife, his daughter, his life, their lives, anything at all.

Not caring has been cool for a long time starting with film stars who portrayed rebels without a cause; Long hair, cigarettes and alcohol, motorbikes and black leather jackets, fighting in the street and switchblades. People recognized the modern version of the archetype and knew it was authentic but they didn't know perhaps it was a little too authentic.

I think he couldn't believe that his poetic efforts were hit song material since it just came so easy to him. I think he didn't have faith in himself as an artist, probably justified. His success seemed a fluke. He probably thought no one wanted the real Kurt and probably thought people would have to be stupid to give him millions of dollars for words just thrown together without much thought at all, goat sounds even.

Immediacy though, is an important attribute in modern art and a value people are willing to pay for. It's why some of us like good improvisers. The artist who can paint the very dust in the air in a scene is often accused of being way too anal but thrown paint without a sense of the result isn't really a product but an experiment. Many of the experiments are failed experiments since they have the structure of garbage can lids falling but not all end up as artistic failures.

Kurt was communicating something that went beyond the words. I don't' think he even realized it. He was communicating how unhappy he and his generation was and how ridiculous the modern world is. He's not wrong. My mother's friend's adult son was a UPS manager who had money and traveled the world before Covid but he just killed himself. Couldn't find meaning in money, the church, tv, the news, political parties, short term sexual gratification. Couldn't talk to family about his problems either. We're always supposed to be so f#$%^ng "happy."

Young people are thrown into the world without models of wise mentors. They have to fend for themselves in a world where youth, wealth, and beauty are the only values.

In the Grinch movie Cindy Lou is told by Jim Carey that maybe Christmas really is just about shopping and getting presents. The problem is solved so easily and quickly at the end like a 30 second commercial. All you gotta do is buy this deodorant and women will fall all over you as if that was the only thing you should care about.

What about the void which gave birth to all the gods and to all the matter in it? Where are we all going? How do you answer that? If you can't answer it, what response should we give if any, and why? Probably not going to answer that here. It was Kurt's choice to end his life like many poets who also couldn't come to terms with life. But I think young people need someone to tell them to sit with problems long enough for them to resolve. Of course we don't all have the herculean patience required for the huge problems we have in the modern world. I think we have to forgive him at least for that.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:28 am

Telefunkin wrote:
I might pay $300 a year to find out

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:19 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
I don't either. I thought this was about a genuine interest in if grunge and alt.rock was popular with sync, and you can look that up on Tunefind. Earlier in this thread I posted fact about Nirvana's music has been highly sync'ed, and if you look up The Foo Fighters, they have been synced a lot too. https://www.tunefind.com/artist/nirvana

So, Nirvana obviously made a lot of sync deals, and that is what Taxi is posting..

But, seems this is not really interesting enough for posters who just want to speculate about what they think dead people was thinking, despite the fact that Nirvana was and is licensing their music a lot. This thread could be more useful if it was actually about alt.rock listings and members submissions..

Are any of you doing alt.rock for sync?
Ceo of my own life