Would Taxi Forward This Band?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Would Taxi Forward This Band?

Post by ernstinen » Mon May 22, 2006 10:46 am

I came across this video on the internet, and wondered if the Taxi screeners would give this band a forward, or if they would try and help them with such comments as:"The music needs more dynamics.""I can't understand the lyrics. Lyrics are so important in country music.""The guitars could come down a bit in the mix.""You need to work more on your image to be competitive."What do y'all think!?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRtMl37VvoEErn

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Would Taxi Forward This Band?

Post by edteja » Mon May 22, 2006 11:55 am

"Chorus and verse are not musically distinctive.""Lyrics are too abstract.""You guys have a strong sound, but try listening to Kenny G to see how you could use modulation to keep listener interest."
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon May 22, 2006 12:04 pm

ha Actually, this probably would get a forward if the call was for extreme metal music., esp. if for film/TV or video games.I'd advise the band to make sure they have the track w/o vocals too. Metallically yours,Casey

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Quote:"Chorus and verse are not musically distinctive.""Lyrics are too abstract.""You guys have a strong sound, but try listening to Kenny G to see how you could use modulation to keep listener interest."LOL! Some more screener-isms:"Listen to the Carpenters for vocal harmony ideas.""You need to get a local and regional following before any record company would have any interest in you." "Get a drummer with better technique.""A good horn section would add to your sound.""Learn a set of 50's/60's cover tunes before you attempt to perform your own music for an audience.""Matching suits and ties would give you a more marketable image."Ern

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon May 22, 2006 2:52 pm

OR ---"Songwriting is a craft that needs to be learned. Let's say A is a verse; B is a chorus; and C is a bridge. A common hit song would have this structure: A-B-A-B-C-A-B. --- I don't hear any "bridge" in your song, nor any obvious chorus (sometimes known as a "hook"). Buy some books on songwriting (Pete Luboff is a well-known teacher). Good luck, and keep writing!"Ern the Screener.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon May 22, 2006 3:10 pm

PaulWe really enjoyed your submission of "Yesterday". Although it is pretty, it is too repetitive and lacks a chorus. Try to dig deep and find that chorus that will give this hit potential. Songwriting is about writing and re-writing to hone the craft.Screener #463401001

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 pm

HaHaha! Y'know, another forum guy turned me on to this band, and I actually APPRECIATE what they're trying to do. Going for something SO outside of the norm is cool, in my book. I probably couldn't listen to more than 2-3 songs back-to-back and stay sane, but I enjoy what they're doing artistically.Maybe I'm just an eternally radical hippie dude ---Ern

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Mon May 22, 2006 6:31 pm

One time I got a screener who loved a song, raved about it and said it was a perfect fit for the listing but wouldn't forward it because it used a sample. There was a guitar lick that sounded similar to another song but I watched my friend play it on guitar so I know it wasn't a sample. Oh well.

mani
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mani » Mon May 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Nomi,Quote:One time I got a screener who loved a song, raved about it and said it was a perfect fit for the listing but wouldn't forward it because it used a sample. There was a guitar lick that sounded similar to another song but I watched my friend play it on guitar so I know it wasn't a sample. Oh well.Nomi,If this is true you should've immediately rang TAXI and complained to Michael Laskow.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon May 22, 2006 7:13 pm

Quote:Nomi,Quote:One time I got a screener who loved a song, raved about it and said it was a perfect fit for the listing but wouldn't forward it because it used a sample. There was a guitar lick that sounded similar to another song but I watched my friend play it on guitar so I know it wasn't a sample. Oh well.Nomi,If this is true you should've immediately rang TAXI and complained to Michael Laskow.Absolutely...this is quite distressing. I write songs in several styles (but particularly hiphop and electronic) in which I "create" samples...a repeating recorded line is intentionally made to sound as if it was lifted from another song through the use of EQ, turntable noise, and other processes.If I submitted a song to which I owned all the rights to Taxi and they returned it because they thought it had a sample in it, I'd be pretty bummed to say the least. Wouldn't the submission of such a song constitute a violation of the member agreement? I'm not yet a member yet so I'm unsure of the contract's wording.Does anyone know if Taxi actually returns submissions for this reason?Respectfully,Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.