WOW Michael Jackson ....dead?????

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: WOW Michael Jackson ....dead?????

Post by claire » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:52 am

I hope the family donates a large part of the proceeds of last night to some children's charity that MJ would have supported. -----------------------------------------------------I thought the memorial service and the tickets were all being paid for by the city of LA, which can ill afford the several million dollars it cost. I know the tickets were free, won by lottery drawings.

toddt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by toddt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:47 am

Jul 8, 2009, 12:52pm, claire wrote:I hope the family donates a large part of the proceeds of last night to some children's charity that MJ would have supported. -----------------------------------------------------I thought the memorial service and the tickets were all being paid for by the city of LA, which can ill afford the several million dollars it cost. I know the tickets were free, won by lottery drawings.They were, but just wait for the DVD sales...

pitterpatter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pitterpatter » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Jul 8, 2009, 6:00am, mojobone wrote:When you hear it from people that knew and worked with MJ, you get the idea he was nothing like that person portrayed in the media:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4325168- ... htmlThanks for posting this. Very interesting.

walter327
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by walter327 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:23 pm

I saw some of the memorial. You may not like the guy. But, it is awesome the no. of people whose lives he touched. I wish that many people would hear one of my songs. Preferably "In America". Many of his lyrics spoke of helping the less fortunate and uniting the world. So, in that sense, I respected the guy.
I shall wipe every tear from their eyes....

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Awesome post, Mojo. Thanks for sharing it. ,Suz

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Gotta say, IMO, it was all way over the top!I liked his music BUT:I can't help comparing the sendoff with that of two of the twentieth centuries greatest pop icons:John Lennon - totally private funeral. Place of rest unknown!George Harrison - totally private funeral. Place of rest unknown!These two, along with the other Beatles, I would argue touched way more lives than Michael Jackson.I wouldn't be surprised if Paul McCartney's family will also want something relatively low key when the time comes. And they don't come much bigger than him!Mustn't forget Ringo of course!

toddt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by toddt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:17 am

Jul 9, 2009, 1:05am, davekershaw wrote:John Lennon - totally private funeral. Place of rest unknown!George Harrison - totally private funeral. Place of rest unknown!These two, along with the other Beatles, I would argue touched way more lives than Michael Jackson.I wouldn't be surprised if Paul McCartney's family will also want something relatively low key when the time comes. And they don't come much bigger than him!Um, the impact is highly debatable - and the Beatles are from a completely different country, culture, and era too, so different rules apply.But when you've made that big an impact, who's counting?edit: and as George Carlin said... do you ever the feeling that the wrong two Beatles died first?

davekershaw
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davekershaw » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 am

Jul 9, 2009, 3:17am, toddt wrote:[edit: and as George Carlin said... do you ever the feeling that the wrong two Beatles died first?What a witty guy!