Write a Song Backwards?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Write a Song Backwards?

Post by tedsingingfox » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:32 pm

OK, wait...wait...Would someone be willing to transpose this into "forward" form for all of us to read? Sure seems like that would make it easier to HEAR a possible flow/melody behind the lyrics.Me, I'm too brain-dead with the electrical fire (wiring) at my apartment this morning...and only TWO weeks before my move...to attempt anything requiring THAT much cognitive ability.<hhh>
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 pm

any artist a'las in mind?that would help with a melody and style.

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

I only know country - Toby Keith?

suzdoyle
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by suzdoyle » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Here's ti's -- the Backwards written songs, flipped to forward . . . I'll be glad to sketch out a rough piano part for it, unless someone else feels some melodic ideas coming in after reading the lyrics in forward order.TED!! {{{{{ HUGS! }}}}} Sorry to hear about the fire. You ok? EVERYONE! Thanks for playing this write a song backwards game. This is FUN!Title idea, anyone?Suz*****************************TITLE: _______________________________VERSE ONELine 1: So, you wonder why I don't love you anymore?Line 2: remember the night that we said our "I do's"Line 3: The pool of sharks with laser beams on the floorLine 4: When you showed me your tattooCHORUSLine 1: -- you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,Line 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speedLine 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.VERSE TWOLine 1: I knew your love for me was so pureLine 2: When you passed me the pork rinds and ginLine 3: Then the sheriff broke down the doorLine 4: Our last night at the Holiday InnCHORUSLine 1: -- you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,Line 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speedLine 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.VERSE THREELine 1: you couldn't stay when your visa ran outLine 2: It ended in late Septemberline 3: So I look at that scar on my left armLine 4: And that's when I always remember,CHORUSLine 1: -- you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,Line 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speedLine 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.BRIDGELine 1. I know you paid for my trip to Peru,Line 2. Like a lightning bolt out of the blueLine 3. I always got a charge out of you (but)FINAL CHORUSLine 1: When you kissed me 'til I couldn't breathe,Line 2. I was going faster than a Pinto on speedLine 3. And then you pushed me to the floorLine 4. And that's why I don't love you anymore.Last line: And that's why I . . . . . don't love you anymore.-----------------

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:08 am

Heheh..it was fun.Looks just like a creative, right-brain-written song to me.Now the left brain is itching to polish it up. But that can't be done by a group, of course.Still, this illustrates the value of free association and the freedom of just going with what comes first to mind and seeing what you get.Thanks for this great example of how to go with the flow and get something down in a fun way!A great "songwriter's online party game".

claire
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by claire » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 am

Indeed - it was a hoot!Claire

ciskokidd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ciskokidd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:14 am

I finally read this post!Wow what a fun time you must have had writing this. I am so bummed I didn't take a peak earlier and join in the festivities.Well done everyone!Very - very - cool idea Suz.Best,Cisko

matthoggard
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matthoggard » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:28 am

Yeah I love this kind of writing.I had thought of doing this a while ago but of course the brilliant Suz beat me to it!Go ahead with that piano and melody Suz!

silmarwen
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by silmarwen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:01 am

This looks so funny I´m really bummed that I didn´t see this sooner! Got a melody for the chorus.......

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Mar 23, 2009, 11:33pm, suzdoyle wrote:TED!! {{{{{ HUGS! }}}}} Sorry to hear about the fire. You ok? Gratefully so, yes. Thanks for asking.Ancient, faulty wiring was melting down and throwing sparks out of my wall sockets. It took me two days to finally identify the rubbery, burning STENCH in the apartment. But yesterday morning was the first time it became genuinely dangerous. The electrician DID casually mention that, had I NOT woken up when I did (and if the burning and the smoke hadn't been caught as early as it was), I might not have ever woken up at all.Turns out each and every electrical outlet in my apartment was wired backwards. No WONDER I've burned/melted through nearly 15 power strips over the past 4 years.Miraculously, the only serious damage was to the AC power adapter for my keyboard. It's a smelly, black, burned and melted blob; but the keyboard itself lived through it. Hallelujah.so did I. ALSO a reason to say THANK YOU. Man oh man... could this little town be pushing me any HARDER out the door toward Nashville?!?!?!? I'm OK with that. <hhh>TedOK, now back to our original thread...So, Silmawren Music...how soon can we hear the chorus' melody?
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982