#Y060807NA

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: #Y060807NA

Post by horacejesse » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Okay, one-eyed Willie.Tell me why I am wrong then. You must have made a lot of money off Taxi, eh? Is that right?

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Sorry, Dave,I got posters confused. It was you who made the offer. As I said in the mistaken post to Ed, I will take you up on your offer. But answer this. Do you think I will get unbiased criticisms from the people who read my posts? I am insisting that my pieces are good enough for Taxi or anyone else. I seriously doubt that my attitude is going to make people want to come on here and say, "Great pieces, Taxi was really wrong." I seriously doubt it. When you come off as an egotistical bastard people want a piece of your hide, they don't want to compliment you and reinforce your unruly behavior.How do I sen you an MP3?

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Casey,Your observations on psychology and what you perceive as "other problems," do not interest me a bit. If you were so hog wild about Taxi you would still be a member. I didn't pay $300 a year for a personality fix from amatuers.As I already said in my initial post, I may have the capability to post MP3's without realizing it. This sounds like it might actually be the case.My or your ability to post an MP3 has zero to do with our songwriting abilities. There are better songwriters than either of us who still think a computer is for toasting bread.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:14 pm

Quote:I seriously doubt that my attitude is going to make people want to come on here and say, "Great pieces, Taxi was really wrong." I seriously doubt it. When you come off as an egotistical bastard people want a piece of your hideYou're not important enough for all of us to conspire against. We've got better things to do. I'll be more than happy to help you, anyone, the same way that others helped me (in and out of Taxi). This is a VERY helpful group (well... mostly) and there are a lot of seasoned professionals here. I can never pay them back and I'm eternally grateful, so I try to pay forward. I'm certainly not out to get you. Forget about posting if you want. It doesn't matter. Let's say that you're absolutely right. Now what? What about if you got forwarded but didn't get a deal. What then? These aren't questions that I want to hear the answer to. Just food for thought. DavePS - If you don't mind posting the song, just attach an MP3 to a regular email. Log in and click my name on any of the messages. You should see my email address. BTW, you DID set yourself up to get flamed by a few people, but you probably already know that. I confess to calling you a crybaby but I erased it.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:33 pm

Quote:Casey,Your observations on psychology and what you perceive as "other problems," do not interest me a bit. If you were so hog wild about Taxi you would still be a member. I didn't pay $300 a year for a personality fix from amatuers.As I already said in my initial post, I may have the capability to post MP3's without realizing it. This sounds like it might actually be the case.My or your ability to post an MP3 has zero to do with our songwriting abilities. There are better songwriters than either of us who still think a computer is for toasting bread.The message board is free so no charge for the personality consult ... The reason I am not a member anymore is that I don't have enough songs in my current catalog to make TAXI worthwhile right now. When I was a member I got some forwards, some returns and sometimes, like everyone, I disagreed. But I never viewed them as the evil empire with Michael being Darth Vader... I am glad you are taking Dave up on the offer to have your song posted. I would be very willing to give you my unbiased opinion. Even better, email me the file and I will listen without first reading any comments on this message board. Contact me to get my email address.Casey

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:50 pm

Quote:No, this is not how I react evertime I get rejected. This is how I act everytime I feel I am right and the screeners are wrong.Isn't that exactly the same thing??...I mean so far EVERY TIME you got rejected you felt you were right and the screeners were wrong... Furthermore...you didn't just say you were right and the screeners were wrong. You said you were one of the worlds 25 best guitar players (as if that had ANY bearing whatsoever on whether you should get forwarded to a New Age listing) and the screeners were "registered, thoroughbred dimwits".I'm glad at least you realize you come across as an "egotistical bastard"...you might wanna work on that attitude if you wish to ever have a chance at making a living from music. Seriously...Nevertheless, I will be the first to say "great piece" if it's really great, and if I think it should have been forwarded (which is an ENTIRELY different consideration) I will say so too.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Quote:Two or three people on this forum are making a little bit of money and the rest are crying in their beards continually. It is a fact, folks. I read this forum all the time, and hardly anyone gets anything forwarded.Not all Taxi members are active on the forums, so more people may be getting work through Taxi than is apparent through forum feedback.However, even if your figures are accurate, they only prove one CAN get placed and make money through Taxi! We all know the competition is fierce in this industry, and those who are making it happen have been very real with themselves about the shortcomings of their music, and have been willing to address them.Are you?Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:34 am

As an aside, thanks for the additional input on your harmonics technique. I look forward to hearing it. Chet does (did) call his index finger technique specifically artificial harmonics, however. He used it very nicely in some tunes. I hadn't heard the term cascading before (your own terminology?), but that sounds like a good name for it. Chet interweaves his technique with what he calls "pure tones." Of course, you and I can call it whatever we want too. He just made that up at one point.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

spariam
Impressive
Impressive

Post by spariam » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:07 am

Quote:Quote:Two or three people on this forum are making a little bit of money and the rest are crying in their beards continually. It is a fact, folks. I read this forum all the time, and hardly anyone gets anything forwarded.Not all Taxi members are active on the forums, so more people may be getting work through Taxi than is apparent through forum feedback.However, even if your figures are accurate, they only prove one CAN get placed and make money through Taxi! We all know the competition is fierce in this industry, and those who are making it happen have been very real with themselves about the shortcomings of their music, and have been willing to address them.Are you?AndreI'd venture to say that a very, very small percentage of Taxi members are actually on the forum, and a lot of the forum members aren't members of Taxi...You might read the info at these links...https://www.taxi.com/abouts/successdeal ... mlAttitude and relationships are everything in this business...I note all critiques whether I agree with them or not (and I almost always do). After a rough critique or a return, I simply move on, though in most cases I gain a little insight that I can use to make my music even better or more likely to get forwarded next time.BTW - I can guarantee you 100% that I'll give you a fair and honest critique of your music if you post it. I've gotten a lot of sage advice and help from members here and people else where, and I'm always happy help and do my part in return (though sometimes it may take me a while to find the time - I've actually been asked by someone who read this board to listen to their music, which I look forward to doing)..

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:50 am

There are tens of thousands of non-heard-of killer musicians out there. Everyone knows who the guy on the right is (Dave Matthews). Very few people know anything about the guy on the left. That's Tim Reynolds, a music acquaintance of mine from the "old days". He really can make a claim to be one of the finest guitar players out there, but you'll never hear him say that. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Tim is a couple of years younger than me which puts him into his mid-40's. He has never done anything other than play music and he is NOT mainstream to say the least. As a result, he's spent several DECADES getting rejections, two steps backward, one step forward, etc. As Andre stated so elequently, he's been very real over the years about the shortcomings of his music and he's gotten pretty damn good as a result. I learn a lot from guys like him and it's the same formula - time, patience, hard work, open mindedness, etc. Dave Matthews invites him to play concerts with him exclusively because he's developed himself into a great musician AND he's a nice guy. Just being good is not enough. People with attitudes like Kid Rock are the exception and not the rule.From my own recent experience, here is a snippet out of the original "Oprah" listing that I was placed into (I'm not making this up):And...you MUST be a “team player.” He’s not interested in someone who has a huge ego and will be difficult to work withNow... send me that song and let's see what all the hub-bub is bub. Dave