#Y060807NA

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: #Y060807NA

Post by horacejesse » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:57 am

Thanks to all for some helpful critiques. I never would have gotten "multi-instrumental pieces only" out of the wording of that listing. I think I will submit only one piece at a time anymore, no matter what category the listing is for.Special thanks to Dave for lending the space.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:05 am

Quote:I never would have gotten "multi-instrumental pieces only" out of the wording of that listing. horacejesse,actually the "multi-instrumental only" idea is just Dave's interpretation and may in fact be a little misleading. It would've certainly been possible to get a solo acustic guitar instrumental forwarded to this listing. The key reason yours weren't forwarded is that they are to simple and basic. There's not enough development going on compositionally. To get something forwarded that's solo guitar only, you'd have to think more along the lines of Michael Hedges for example.Your tunes set a nice atmosphere, but there's not enough to hold most listeners' interest for more than a relatively short period of time. They aren't really "going anywhere", so to speak. This brings up what I think is an important distinction between music written for libraries, and underscore which is written directly to picture. The latter will never be seen/heard without the accompaning visuals/dialog, thus doesn't necessarily have to "stand on its own". The former needs to work on its own, even if it ends up as underscore eventually...the music on its own has to be "interesting" enough to convince a music supervisor to even ever sync it to picture.I think this is where these pieces fail, and thus I have to agree with the screener for not forwarding them.That being said, I thought the last piece was the strongest and most developped and definitely heading in the right directionI want to thank you for posting them and hope out comments are helpful to you.matto

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:37 am

Quote:Compliments of Dave Walton, here are the three pieces I submitted to this listing.www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/HoraceJesse/Har ... .mp3Though these may be technically brilliant,a five year old with a bottom of the range Casio could have come up with something equally good or better.Sorry horace,the screener got it right,for a change

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Quote:actually the "multi-instrumental only" idea is just Dave's interpretation and may in fact be a little misleading. Yes, I didn't make that clear. What I probably should have said was that I, personally, would have felt the most comfortable with my chances by submitting multi-instrument tracks like Enya, David Arkenstone or Yanni.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am

Gee, Johnny, what a pair of ears you have.