#Y120604UE-listing rejected due to piano-ouch, that hurts.

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

88keys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

#Y120604UE-listing rejected due to piano-ouch, that hurts.

Post by 88keys » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Worked like a dog on this one and got rejected by the screener because they felt the "piano felt out of place for this listing."

Lesson learned - I've got to avoid getting creative with instrumentation that feels good to me and just stick to the listing criteria. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The track is "Broadway and 6th" if anyone would like to have a listen..... :cry:

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: #Y120604UE-listing rejected due to piano-ouch, that hurts.

Post by michael11 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Fantastic track!

Sorry it wasn't accepted.

Mick

88keys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by 88keys » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks Mick.

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Often it's a balancing act to be creative and original but still within the listing. But nice work and you have a great piece.

tordenspyd
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tordenspyd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:49 am

Very nice track indeed!
Since you already announced the piano, I was on the alert, but I think it sounded real good, did a lot good to the track, while did not steal the attention, so I hope it can be of some use for other purposes.
88keys wrote:Lesson learned - I've got to avoid getting creative with instrumentation that feels good to me and just stick to the listing criteria. :oops: :oops: :oops:
:
Now the listing is gone, so I have learned very little from your post unless the listing says NO PIANO!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 am

The internet is forever... ;) I was able to find the listing text easily.
HOLLYWOOD-BASED MUSIC LICENSING COMPANY needs UPTEMPO, ELECTRONIC instrumentals for a feature film trailer a la:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross "In Motion" - http://bit.ly/JzPjJV

Quoting the company, "Imagine a montage of footage depicting a busy, modern city. We see sped up footage of large crowds crossing the street, traffic starting and stopping, etc. The city has a heartbeat and the music is underscoring its frenetic yet organized pace. What works about this Trent Reznor piece is the DRIVING, PULSATING, FORWARD MOVEMENT. It gets your toes tapping and your head bobbing but it's NOT aggressively dancey. It plays more ACADEMIC and CEREBRAL than something more club-oriented like Daft Punk. It also has a nice subtle undercurrent of WARMTH attributable to some of the older ANALOG SYNTH sounds. It BUILDS, EVOLVES and stays INTERESTING even though it barely changes chords. (Feel free to change chords, of course.) Most importantly, the music doesn't interfere with voiceover or dialog, which is important." They're NOT looking for overly dark, angry or aggressive sounds. NO SAMPLES of other songs or artists can be incorporated into your track. As always, do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artist or song in any way, shape, or form! The ESTIMATED fee for this license is $5,000-$15,000. YOU WILL KEEP 70% of the ultimate fee, and you will NOT give up ANY of your Master, Publishing and Writer's share! You must own or control 100% of the Master and Composition rights to submit for this listing. Please submit one to three songs online. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS by a person Hand-Picked by the listing company. ALL submissions must be received no later than Monday, June 4, 2012, 9:30AM PDT. TAXI #Y120604UE
Sometimes it's just a tough call and a track could go either way as far as forward/return or for that matter, accepted/rejected by a library or end user. At some point, somewhere in the process, it's a judgment call. Don't beat yourself up. This was a VERY high bar listing… Very high bar for forwards and very high bar for selection by the end user. Just make great music and keep on keeping on…

Best,
:D Casey
Last edited by Casey H on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

88keys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by 88keys » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:48 am

torenspyd, thanks for the positive comments, and, yes, I agree with you about the piano....but...as this track was composed specifically for that listing, for a paying client, and not for me necessarily, I/we really need to nail what the client asks for in every single detail possible. Unfortunately, with these listings, no revisions are possible. No back-and forth with the client. Yer' in or yer out.

I guess the important thing is that I've learned a lesson there and I think it goes along the lines of what Michael has been saying over and over. Read the listing. Read it again. Then read it some more....if we're interested in getting the gig.

The thing that may have been critical rather than a suggestion is the use of "WARM, older ANALOG SYNTH sounds" probably or especially as feature instrument. I strayed from that by bringing in the piano track as a feature instrument and that killed it for me.

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey David,

I thought that was really cool! As someone else pointed out the focus here for me was the piano. My 2 cents would be the piano part may sound nice with a string or possibly a trumpet. I only say that in hindsight though. It was great as-is.

You mentioned that was written specific to the listing in question... it is only a matter of time before that track will be perfect for another listing. :)

88keys
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by 88keys » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks mikeymike. Appreciate the positive comments....I thought the piano was a little bit of a tip of the hat to Gershwin believe it or not.
I was actually thinking, in the beginning of the writing process, of how to get a tiny bit of Rhapsody in Blue in there....electronic style... To me, nothing says big city like NewYork and no composition nailed it any better than Rhapsody in Blue. But, anyway, there was no success in that.