Y181224TM Critique Requested (Southwestern Instrumental)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Y181224TM Critique Requested (Southwestern Instrumental)

Post by johndalenow » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:21 am

Please give a listen and offer any criticisms and/or comments. Thanks much for all your help.

Soundcloud link immediately below.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... tm/s-gks9p

SOUTHWESTERN, DESERT-Style TEX-MEX INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a very hard-working Music Licensing Company for a particular TV series. They’re looking for Down-to-Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could fit stylistically with the following examples:

“Across The Borderline” by Ry Cooder

“Cancion Mixteca” by Jose Alaves

“Canción Mixteca” by Ry Cooder

Although some of the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch.

Give them authentic-sounding Tex-Mex Instrumentals built around the classic Mexican Instrumentation typically used in the genre. If you’re going to be using Virtual Instruments, you’d be smart to capture the realistic sound of the instruments used in the genre, as instruments that sound stiff or MIDI-driven won’t work for this pitch. Authenticity is key! Think of what types of Instrumentals would be used in a scene where a cowboy is riding into the sunset. That’s what they need!

All submissions should be about two to four minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded endings with a natural ring-out will work best. Do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for the overall feel, texture, and tone. Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST) on Monday, December 24th, 2018. TAXI #Y181224TM

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Y181224TM Critique Requested (Southwestern Instrumental)

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:08 am

Very nice peice!
I think it won't pass the test, sounds very midi
needs some real instruments
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Yeah, nice composition but immediately screamed midi to me.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Which instruments, or sections of the piece, would need to be changed to have the best chance for being selected for this listing?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm

I think for this listing if you're not working with live instruments it's not gonna fly. To my ear all of the instruments in your cue sound midi. I'm sure there are those who work with top of the line samples and are skilled at making them sound like a live band but I think you'd really need to upgrade your samples to achieve that. My .02...

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Thank you for the follow-up input, Brother. Your comments are a big help.