Year in review

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Year in review

Post by johnlewitt » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:31 am

As 2017 comes to a close I decided to look back at what I've accomplished this year so that I can begin to plot my plans for the new year. It's the first year that I believe I've accomplished anything worth sharing. So, in no particular order, here are my top ten moments....

1) I released a self title album in April. To the best of my knowledge (I have to Google myself to discover where I've been played), I have found that at least 3 songs from that album have been played on the radio. One tune was played nationally while the other two have been played on regional radio. And looking at the logs, one of my songs has been played as many as four times a day (the same amount as Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, and Selena Gomez!) on one radio station and has stayed in decent rotation for two + months!

2) Since July I have signed 10 songs (not cues) to three really good libraries, with two of them been being new to me this year. Some people refer to them as Taxi friendly libraries. What I can say is that I would not have known about any of them if I had not gone to the Rally and met so many great people who recommend them to me. To be blunt, you're an idiot if you pay for a Taxi membership and never go to the Rally IMO.

3) Since June I have signed an additional 17 songs, and counting, to blanket license deals for in store radio plays thru a very cool new company (and I've got another dozen pending approval).

4) I don't advertise this, but I do work for hire from time to time. This year I added two NEW vocal clients to a small little stable of people I work with.

5) I received a significant songwriting grant from FACTOR Canada this year.

6) In point 2 I talked about signing 10 songs to good libraries. Well, I also signed another 9 songs to libraries that I basically took a chance on. They don't have a track record that I can suss out via my taxi friends, but they are non-exclusive and low risk. And one of these was thru a Taxi forward.

7) One of the tracks from the album I released in April has over 1500 plays on Spotify and another song is about to crack 1,000 plays. 1,000 plays is a Spotify benchmark. For one thing, it proves to listeners that you have some sort of fan base as they only start publishing plays once you hit 1,000. Further to that, my PRO (SOCAN) only pays songwriting royalties once you hit 500 plays per song, and they have a set payment rate per 100 plays. My Spotify revenue, while relatively small, covers the cost of my distrokid account while the remaining revenue generated from iTunes, Apple Music, Tidal, etc. is 'profit'. So having a digital presence across the board, which actually pays for itself was a nice goal to meet this year.

8) Last month I received a brief from a publisher, which I then wrote and recorded a brand new song for that day. It was then signed and pitched within 22 hours of creation! I was impressed by the fact I was able to turn around something this quickly without my usual dithering over the mix.

9) I mentioned the Rally, right? It was my fifth in a row and I had a blast. The courses are great, but better than that I got to spend 4 days with my great friends, sharing REALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION and good times. If you've never been to a Rally all I can say is that you are short changing yourself. The forum is a great tool, but there's a lot of stuff that people don't want to put in writing or never think of sharing. When I got home, I wrote a brand a tune, inspired by Robin Fredericks Saturday class. IMO it's really good and licensable - I've just got to finish the mix! BTW, go to the Rally.

10) Finally, in March I made the Taxi Top Ten with a song called Perfect Storm - a collaboration with Tom Hoy. Now, it's not the Billboard Top Ten (!), but I did use it in my promotional materials as every little but helps!

So, there you go. Of course, I had lots of rejections this year, stuff that got me down - some rejections that were logical, some that were not. But given that we are trying to sell what is essentially art, that is inevitable, some people will love it while some won't. I just try and have very thick skin, learn a little, forget the irrelevant stuff, then move on.

John

yougomusic
Active
Active

Re: Year in review

Post by yougomusic » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:12 am

John,

I enjoyed reading your year in review. I agree with all of your comments. A little hard work goes a long way. Congrats!

John

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 am

Well... +1 for all that, John; and I'll add #11) Sucker Punch, IMHO, is a great song/title/hook/production... and I can't get it out of my head.
You might put your foot on the gas pedal for that song... and get it out there.
Happy New Year/2018 to you.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:57 am

What a great post. Congrats on all of your achievements.

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:58 am

Congrats John on all your success! Sounds like you are off to a great start for the New Year :) Keep it up!

Tom

Piewackit1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Piewackit1 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Great Stuff John,

There is no doubt in my mind you will be very successful at this.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Great success and congrats to you John! Glad to see stories like this, I'm getting ready to post my own year in review.

Here's to a strong 2018 for everyone!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:24 pm

Well done, John. Lots of good stuff happening!
Ceo of my own life

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Fantastic John
Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Congrats on a great year, John! Hope that 2018 is an even greater one!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud