Yep, it's that PRO registration thing...

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

amaxis

Yep, it's that PRO registration thing...

Post by amaxis » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm

So I get that if you're looking at an exclusive library, it makes sense not to register. But what about non-exclusive libraries. I went to submit tracks to a well known non-exclusive library and the very first thing it says on the New Submission page is: "Please register your track with your PRO before submitting to *******."

I talked with a very successful composer that had many sweet placements with this library. He advised me to register my tracks. So basically I'm talking non-exclusive here.

Thanks for any clarification on the non-exclusive side.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Yep, it's that PRO registration thing...

Post by hummingbird » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Most libraries prefer to do the registration themselves. But let's assume you register your track and submit it to a non-exclusive library. How does that library get their publishing, is my question.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:10 pm

hummingbird wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
Most libraries prefer to do the registration themselves. But let's assume you register your track and submit it to a non-exclusive library. How does that library get their publishing, is my question.
There is one Non Ex Lib that's well connected to Taxi ( they even have a box to enter a Taxi reference number when you submit )

You can only submit 3 tracks every 12 weeks...and for some reason unknown to everyone they ask YOU to register the track...If you do make it through the screening process, they ask you to send proof that you've done so by taking a screenshot...THEN...they register the track themselves with a Prefix code and a number i.e. ABC123456 My Cue name ...and of course their publishing share.

Even ML said on Taxi TV this week ( mystery library owner do's & don't's ) that he doesn't understand it. It's one of the great mystery's but there you go. :roll:

They do get cool placements and sync fees though. I have 5 tracks with them now ..doesn't sound like many but it's tough to get into.

Mark

amaxis

Post by amaxis » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:34 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:10 pm
hummingbird wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
There is one Non Ex Lib that's well connected to Taxi ( they even have a box to enter a Taxi reference number when you submit )

You can only submit 3 tracks every 12 weeks...and for some reason unknown to everyone they ask YOU to register the track...If you do make it through the screening process, they ask you to send proof that you've done so by taking a screenshot...THEN...they register the track themselves with a Prefix code and a number i.e. ABC123456 My Cue name ...and of course their publishing share.

Even ML said on Taxi TV this week ( mystery library owner do's & don't's ) that he doesn't understand it. It's one of the great mystery's but there you go. :roll:

They do get cool placements and sync fees though. I have 5 tracks with them now ..doesn't sound like many but it's tough to get into.

Mark
Ah, thanks, good to know. The library I'm talking about has no references (or check boxes) to Taxi - so that's another non-exclusive that wants you to register...

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:53 pm

amaxis wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:42 pm
So I get that if you're looking at an exclusive library, it makes sense not to register. But what about non-exclusive libraries. I went to submit tracks to a well known non-exclusive library and the very first thing it says on the New Submission page is: "Please register your track with your PRO before submitting to *******."

I talked with a very successful composer that had many sweet placements with this library. He advised me to register my tracks. So basically I'm talking non-exclusive here.

Thanks for any clarification on the non-exclusive side.
Good question.

On my instrumentals/cues I don't register them unless asked to do so by a library.

On my vocal songs, about 150 titles signed so far I register w my PRO as soon as the song comes back from the vocalist.

I've had those vocal songs signed (after I registered them) to both exclusive and non-exclusive libraries. The exclusive libraries updated the songs with my PRO and added themselves as publisher. Now I realize we don't want to add more work for a library but I've never had any of them complain about it.

Now if I'm doing a collection for a library I won't register as they will apply for the copyright and register with the PRO.

Another thing to consider is Sync Agents. They are typically Non-excl and they just take a portion of your sync fee. Mine takes 35% and she's gotten me my best placement yet. You keep 100% of the pub and 100% of the writer's share. So you have to have your songs registered with your PRO to collect your backend.

lastly the library Cosmic Dolphin mentioned is the main reason I register everything. I've got 17 songs signed with them, I usually pitch to them first and I don't want to slow down their pitching process by making them wait for my PRO.

Hope that helps. best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:21 pm

JohnnyP wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:53 pm
lastly the library Cosmic Dolphin mentioned is the main reason I register everything. I've got 17 songs signed with them, I usually pitch to them first and I don't want to slow down their pitching process by making them wait for my PRO.

Hope that helps. best, John
Excellent info! Thanks for sharing, John!

amaxis

Post by amaxis » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Yes, thanks for the info John!