You've GOT to see this!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

allends
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: You've GOT to see this!

Post by allends » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 am

Apr 3, 2009, 8:06am, onoffon wrote:This just keeps getting better and better... I'm so happy for you! What a great find!! Allen

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:30 am

Apr 3, 2009, 8:22am, jh wrote:Great photo, a nice piece of history.- JHThanks JH - I can hardly wait to see the actual photo... Apr 3, 2009, 8:54am, ggalen wrote:Really cool! Thanks Glenn... a cool bunch of hep cats there... I love my dad and Charlie Barnet wearing sunglasses...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 am

Apr 3, 2009, 9:30am, sgs4u wrote:It's such an excellent pic Von. It's like all the energy in the room is passing thru him. He must've been awesome to work with.Throughout the late 60's to the 70's, I got to hang out at a LOT of recording sessions. Maybe not quite on that scale but some of the greatest jazz players in life... what happens between players on that level is truly magical...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:47 am

Apr 3, 2009, 9:41am, byllsong wrote:Imagine my surprise and joy when I came across a photo of my parent on the boat at the beach of the British Colonel Hotel. I quickly saved it. That was a moment to cherish. My parents passed away years ago, but having this small piece of their history is awesome. She was also in a Timex Watch TV commercial.BillyIt's one thing when you know about their existence, but it's somehow more special when you find something you never knew existed. It's wonderful that you found a piece of your family history in that way. Congrats! Apr 3, 2009, 10:02am, tedsingingfox wrote:Hokey SMOKES, Bullwinkle!! Too bad your Dad never got to work with anybody famous! Man, that's amazing. That photo would be valuable, PERIOD, because of the who's who of Jazz in the pic. But I can't imagine the personal sentimental value it must hold for you.That's very cool, Von. thanks for sharing it HERE.TedThanks Ted! That explains why I have such a dedication to ensuring my father takes his rightful place among those legends of jazz. He was tremendous in his own right and his contributions continue to influence the artform today...

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:26 am

Apr 3, 2009, 10:13am, devin wrote:That is insanely cool (for both of you)...what a nice little lift for me (on this rainy day here) to hear this news!Thanks Devin - my brother is an award winning graphic artist (he did the Surrender Now album cover - my avatar) and he will be doing photo restoration and graphic design for the documentary as well.Apr 3, 2009, 10:19am, squids wrote:Can I have a copy?? That is so utterly the shezz!Squids!!! Just click on the pic and save it to your hard drive - you'll have what I have so far. I'll still be negotiating with MGM for licensing rights to use it in my film, along with the clips from the actual movie itself... It's funny - all this work trying to get funded, once it finally comes in, then the real work starts...

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 am

Wow!!!Talk about a "who's who" of the hep jazz world.It's kind of like a 1948 version of "We are the world" only way more hip. dean

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Apr 3, 2009, 12:23pm, suzdoyle wrote:What a treasure! How awesome to see your dad in the midst of all this creativity and music by so many talented players!Congrats!SuzThanks Suz! The list of who my father played and recorded with is truly second to none. Charlie Parker, Chet Baker, Mel Torme, Peggy Lee, Sarah Vaughan, Billy Ekstine, Stan Getz, Zoot Sims... I could go on and on... what an amazing legacy... Apr 3, 2009, 12:54pm, 2leftears wrote:Love that pic. Look how close they all were to each other. Recording direct to mono, I can only see a mic in front of the horns and I'd bet this recording sounded stellar.For anyone interested, check out the film: The Wrecking Crew. It's a doc about the session players in LA during the 60's. Great film.Thanks 2leftears! I recently attended the 80th birthday party for Hal Blaine, the drummer for the Wrecking Crew, at a jazz club in Hollywood called the Baked Potato. I met with Tommy Tedesco's son, Denny, who produced the movie. He's a very nice guy and my father's history was not wasted on him. In fact, every old timer there knew of or played with my dad, including some of the younger ones like one of my heroes, Lee Sklar. It was an incredible evening!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:03 pm

Apr 3, 2009, 1:06pm, allends wrote:Apr 3, 2009, 8:06am, onoffon wrote:This just keeps getting better and better... I'm so happy for you! What a great find!! AllenThanks Allen - you know that'll be in the documentary!

onoffon
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by onoffon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Apr 3, 2009, 2:57pm, deankripp wrote:Wow!!!Talk about a "who's who" of the hep jazz world.It's kind of like a 1948 version of "We are the world" only way more hip. deanYeah Dean! I always refer to those guys as the "Jazz Aristocracy" of the day!

brindabella
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by brindabella » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:28 pm

OMG! I am so happy for you and your brother. It is amazing how you can restore pics now with computers, I am sure your brother will do an amazing job to preserve this part of your family´s history. So glad for you!!
"The crucial thing in life is not to repeat oneself." Antonio Stradivari.

http://www.Reverbnation.com/laurasanz